Romeoguy62 is offline Associate Member

Whats a hack squat?

I have been reading a lot on here and see "hack" squat quite frequently. I have no idea what this is but would like to try it. In addition, I do straight leg deads for my lower back but would like to do bent leg deads. Is this just how it sounds, lift with my legs instead of my back? Thanks!

chest6 is offline Banned
    it is the exercise where you stand up elevated on a platform and you are at an angle and your shoulders are against those 2 pads and you grip it right above your shoulders and squat..like a machine..thats the best i can describe it

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    ..Hack squats are the exercise I do after I wear myself out on the leg press and then usually throw up in the nearest trashcan.....
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Awesome thanks. Maybe I'll throw up on Friday now, not a hardcore gym tho so I bet I'll get some looks.

Billyspt4 is offline Associate Member
    Painful

Evil Predator is offline Senior Member
    I like Hamstring curls, with squats (5 sets/8 reps), leg press (4/8), and hack squats (4/8). Im experimenting with freebar/smith machine squats. I do perfect reps with more weight on the smith, and it seems much easier on my hockey knees. Im not convinced its as good for leg development as a freebar squat tho.

Leg day was on Friday. It is sunday now. I tried out hack's and all I can say is HOLY SHIT! Killed my quads completely, I love them!

ward065 is offline Member
    hacks work the legs a little differently than regular squats i think, i always feel it more in the teardrop muscle with hack squats. But doing both hacks and barbell/smith squats i think is the most beneficial.

Billyspt4 is offline Associate Member
    Hack squats will give you that outer sweep of the quads.

stunner5000pt is offline Anabolic Member
    im sorry for resurrecting an old thread... but how would you hack squat without the hack squat machine??
    i had a look at that site exrx.net and it looks like a deadlift with the bar behind you instead. Is that the basic gist of it?

I choose hack squats because the gym i got to right now has rather *limited* equipment and space - so I can't do my favourite lunges and i m not too fond of leg extensions

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stunner5000pt
    im sorry for resurrecting an old thread... but how would you hack squat without the hack squat machine??
    i had a look at that site exrx.net and it looks like a deadlift with the bar behind you instead. Is that the basic gist of it?

I choose hack squats because the gym i got to right now has rather *limited* equipment and space - so I can't do my favourite lunges and i m not too fond of leg extensions
    I don't often do leg extensions, they ruin my knees. My favourite is also lunges, excellent exercise for quads and glutes.

Yes, hack squats are just like in this link.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...HackSquat.html

Use straps if you feel its too uncomfortable to hold the weight. I personally use it as a forearm exercise to work my wrist flexors. Its a great trap workout as well. You can either stop at parallel or below, or put the bar down. All three are good methods once you have lowered the weight, but I personally go slightly below parallel and hold the weight the whole time.

By the way, you did the right thing by resurrecting this thread. That is the best thing to do, and as you can see, you have been answered even though it is not your thread

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    I thought i had seen everything untill i seen a guy step into it BACKWARDS!!! I mean no back suport, i can see him on disability in a few years.Unlike the one pictured in Mudmans link our back pad only comes about 3/4 down the back so i guess he could almost be excused but syht i cringe every time i see it.

Thread Information