diponyou is offline Associate Member

chest,barbell vs dbs

ok,me and my friend were talking and he says that he dosent liek benching with the barbell he does them with dbs.i know that dbs are a better excersize but what are the advantages of the barbell.
    and also,what do you guys do.

wolfyEVH is offline Anabolic Member
    not really sure that there are advantages of barbell other than you can lift more weight and you don't have to kick the weights into position. there is more of an ego stroke with barbell than db.

ToTheBuckeT21 is offline Senior Member
    i usually switch it up.. i do barbell then like once a month i'll do db

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Barbells are superior for building muscular strength. They do not require as neuromuscular coordination as dumbbells. Dumbbells, of course have their advantages as well.

yea ive herd that for actual strength,barbells were better.what is better for gaining size

With my workouts i go three on one off. First day is chest only, second day is tris and bis, and the last is shoulders and holders (legs). Every other one i switch. I start one time with barbell adn then after my day off and i start my chest again for the second time i use dumbells. I get hell of weight gains from it too. This helps to make sure one side isnt getting worked more than the other.

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    It is definitely easier to push more weight w the bar. However, I tore my (L) pec major pressing 455...Because of this I do not use the barbell anymore. They have 150lb dumbells at my gym, so I'm good with those. When the 150 get light, I pre-exhaust with db flyes.

clipper is offline Associate Member
    I use both. Half the work out with one then the other half with the other. The flip flop it the next week. Works great for me. Keeps the weight up and both sides progress the same.

damn....455.thats alot of weight.

but anyways.ill try switching it up once in awhile to see what happens.thanks for the replies

TCEL300 is offline Member
    i switch it up...db's about once amonth

nalbano34 is offline Member
    I have an injured shoulder and the db's seem to work great....have always liked the versatile ranges of motion also

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    To prevent injuries DB's are absolutely better than working with a barbell. I have also found that for muscle size dumbells work better for me. Everyone is different but I am willing to bet that people who use both will get optimal growth. Of course, I only use DB's as my shoulders are messed up.

Thread Information