Thread: Squat Spotting

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member

Squat Spotting

What is the best way to spot someone in the squatting rack?

I've always spotted guys by just keeping my hands on either side of their weight-belt and then giving a little upward pressure on the higher reps. I've had some guys who put their hands on my lats to spot; sometimes this works great while at other times it pushes me off balance. One guy just spotted my by grabbing the bar and pulling it up like I was doing bench presses!

-BigLittleTim

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    Personally, I put the right arm around the rib cage, with the left on the the mid back area. I will put more emphasis on the right arm, and the left is used to stabilize.
    I feel what your saying about people pushing you forward with the hand on the back, but those are amateur spotters.
    Also, I don't like the "Pumping Iron" style spot ( Arnold spotting Ed Corney /hands spotting only the bar), b/c what if your legs give out?

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    spotting is about continuing the movement fluidly.

To spot someone while squatting you stand as close to them as heteosexually possible, place your forearms under the armpit area...and curl your wrists toward the pecs/delts...it's like a hug from behind.

The important factor here is to aide the person's torso upwards, as opposed to toward you.Pulling towards yourself will alter the path the weight travels and put the person squatting off-balance.

Important to note also is: when spotting you should mimic the exercise being executed simultaneously. Take a deep breath and squat downwards with the person you're assisting...all-the-while keeping your fore-arms locked under his/her pits, ready to assist at any sticking point.

I think simultaneously emulating the squatting movement while spotting on said exercise is the key to spotting effectively.

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    To spot someone while squatting you stand as close to them as heteosexually possible, place your forearms under the armpit area...

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    lol..had to add that disclaimer there lol.

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, gentlemen. I've always know what a good spot "feels" like, but couldn't define its components in words.

Much obliged.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    spotting is about continuing the movement fluidly.

To spot someone while squatting you stand as close to them as heteosexually possible, place your forearms under the armpit area...and curl your wrists toward the pecs/delts...it's like a hug from behind.

The important factor here is to aide the person's torso upwards, as opposed to toward you.Pulling towards yourself will alter the path the weight travels and put the person squatting off-balance.

Important to note also is: when spotting you should mimic the exercise being executed simultaneously. Take a deep breath and squat downwards with the person you're assisting...all-the-while keeping your fore-arms locked under his/her pits, ready to assist at any sticking point.

I think simultaneously emulating the squatting movement while spotting on said exercise is the key to spotting effectively.
    Perfectly said. This is how I have always spotted. I hate it right after I tell someone how to spot me and they pull me towards them and I get off balance and miss the weight even tho its not that heavy

Thread Information