Cylon is offline Junior Member

Body Fat Measurement

I was wondering if anyone had a good practice for measuring body fat? I know I use the floor scale that provides me with Fat, Muscle, and Water. Today I was talking with someone at the gym and said I should use a average of a hand held and a floor?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    The bodyfat calipers are supposed to be more accurate for measuring body fat percentage levels. Generally, they will provide you with a lower reading. The reason I says supposedly, earlier, is that you have to have someone with years of experience performing skinfold tests. Otherwise, the readings will not be as accurate. I always liked bioelectrical impedence because it did not involve human error. Bioeletrical impedence does not work well for bodybuilders, though. They will need a skinfold test. Just my two cents.

Cylon is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    The bodyfat calipers are supposed to be more accurate for measuring body fat percentage levels. Generally, they will provide you with a lower reading. The reason I says supposedly, earlier, is that you have to have someone with years of experience performing skinfold tests. Otherwise, the readings will not be as accurate. I always liked bioelectrical impedence because it did not involve human error. Bioeletrical impedence does not work well for bodybuilders, though. They will need a skinfold test. Just my two cents.
    Thanks Striker93, I have a Soehnle at home but we all know that measures lower body fat. I was wondering if I should add it together with a hand held bioelec... to get a average?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Cylon
    Thanks Striker93, I have a Soehnle at home but we all know that measures lower body fat. I was wondering if I should add it together with a hand held bioelec... to get a average?
    I would stick with one method, the one that produces the most consistent readings, and use it for the duration.
    You could average it but I wouldn't.

Thread Information