biff is offline Associate Member

Does hand width on bench affect developement

My question is will the width at which you have your hands when your doin bench effect your muscle developement in your chest say you have a real wide bench will it not build up your inner chest as much?

Dave321 is offline AR's Salad Tossing Connoisseur
    as you come in closer the focal points are more directed towards the triceps... and yes it makes a slight difference

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    wide grip = more development on the outer side of the pec
    close grip = inner chest

biff is offline Associate Member
    Just what i was looking for thanx.

JiGGaMaN is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kloter1
    wide grip = more development on the outer side of the pec
    close grip = inner chest
    i really disagree with that, its one muscle. thats like saying if you only do the upper part of a barbell curl youll have huge upper biceps but no lower biceps.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    Quote Originally Posted by JiGGaMaN
    i really disagree with that, its one muscle. thats like saying if you only do the upper part of a barbell curl youll have huge upper biceps but no lower biceps.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Closer grip = more tri's

wider= more chest

Quote Originally Posted by JiGGaMaN

I disagree w/ this. You will only have a good peak but no length if you dont curl in a full range of motion. Outer grip on bench is more outer chest and even shoulders, inner grip is more inner chest. My chest got profoundly bigger when I started taking a narrower grip. I couldnt go as heavy as a wide grip, but my chest began to grown again. I dont even touch the rings anymore, my pinkie is about 2" away from the ring. However, I rarely use barbells anymore to begin with, mainly db work b/ of my shoulders growing too fast for my chest.

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    I disagree w/ this. You will only have a good peak but no length if you dont curl in a full range of motion. Outer grip on bench is more outer chest and even shoulders, inner grip is more inner chest. My chest got profoundly bigger when I started taking a narrower grip. I couldnt go as heavy as a wide grip, but my chest began to grown again.
    Ill just quote you here SS. i was going to explain it the same way.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Read this post I wrote, it handles this exact subject.

http://67.18.108.244/showthread.php?t=209491

Forget about the inner chest being targetted with a closer grip. The outer fibres still receive the greatest stretch, and a greater stretch means increased tension, and increased tension means greater damage. The closer grip will hit your chest at a different angle and will bring overall growth. It isn't targetting the inner chest, it is hitting the whole chest differently and the switch up is what improves the muscle

Tren Bull is offline Dbol Junkie
    i read an article in muscle and fitness where they did test to see how different hand grips on the same exercise affected the stimulation of the muslce. it was proven that different hand grips significantly work the muscle differently. by the way, muscle is not all one part, it is made up of lots of individual muscle fibers. it would be appropriate to think of your muscle being composed of lots of little muscles, so it makes sense that different grips would work your muscles differently

tboney is offline Anabolic Member
    You just need to mix up your chest routine. I well rounded chest routine is your best bet.

GQplaya is offline Associate Member
    yeah i need to change it up from time to time, i always did close grip bench then i started to do wide grip and my chest jus exploded, it actually amazed me how much of a difference it made!

Thread Information