faustunta is offline Junior Member

incline bench stronger

Maybe someone else has an opinion on this..... about 6 years ago i was training with one fo the local BB's in my gym, had a massive chest which was almost unproportional to the rest of his body..... but he told me that he does 75% incline...since the upper pectoral is biggest section. If you train incline the rest will follow... seemed to help for me.... i can still do more reps for incline then i can on flat though lol 250x8 incline 250x 4-5 flat

chest6 is offline Banned
    That is pretty strange..incline is a harder press overall than bench it puts you at a disadvantage

If you do more incline than flat then you will become stronger on incline,i am cos i do so i know!!!

Flexor is offline Banned
    Wait a minute, the sternocostal or lower pec is bigger than the clavicular upper pec, so he's completely wrong. Incline will hit the upper chest but you are also almost doing military presses so the shoulders take even more of the load, that is why you can lift more and probably because you are neglecting normal flat bench.

It is good to do incline to hit the pecs from a different angle, but you aren't working the lower one enough if you are doing 75% incline. Some say the pecs work as a unit at all times anyway because the points of origin and insertion are identical, but I believe that since there is a division, tension from the lower pec is not transferred to the upper pec, hence you can get different stresses.

If doing loads of incline is working for you and developing your chest as a whole, just keep doing it unless you want to get your flat bench weight higher.

freakintraining is offline Associate Member
    im the same way but you prolly not lifting as heavy on flat cuz your doing incline first, switch it up and i bet youll be able to do more on flat

ScottyShotty is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xtralarg
    If you do more incline than flat then you will become stronger on incline,i am cos i do so i know!!!
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Wait a minute, the sternocostal or lower pec is bigger than the clavicular upper pec, so he's completely wrong. Incline will hit the upper chest but you are also almost doing military presses so the shoulders take even more of the load, that is why you can lift more and probably because you are neglecting normal flat bench.

It is good to do incline to hit the pecs from a different angle, but you aren't working the lower one enough if you are doing 75% incline. Some say the pecs work as a unit at all times anyway because the points of origin and insertion are identical, but I believe that since there is a division, tension from the lower pec is not transferred to the upper pec, hence you can get different stresses.

If doing loads of incline is working for you and developing your chest as a whole, just keep doing it unless you want to get your flat bench weight higher.

Your pectoralis MAJOR which is your upper chest is the biggest section of your chest i dotn know what anatomy book you are looking at .. and dude WTF are you taking about ???? lol do you know what sterno -costal means....sterno ( pretaining to sternum ) costal ( pretaining to the costal region of the sternum and rib cage) STERNO COSTAL is a word that refers to the sternum rib cage... the pecs are split into 2 groups Pectoralis major and minor...these are the names in which they are assigned... your upper chest or your pectoralis MAJOR definately makes up the majority of your chest muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by freakintraining
    im the same way but you prolly not lifting as heavy on flat cuz your doing incline first, switch it up and i bet youll be able to do more on flat
    yeah im gonna switch it up a little i mean im not weak on flat...but i do like the definition of my upper chest...thanks for the info though

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    i'm with you man.. my incline is better than my flat.. but....

i train it more, and thus.. the strength is there..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    wow, i work with 60 pounds more on flat (comparing when both are fresh). and get this, here are the first the sets in one of my workouts.
    incline bench b.b.
    shoulder press
    close grip bench

i true close gripe with elbows in, as much as i inclined

Thread Information