Romeoguy62 is offline Associate Member

DB to light for shrugs, what can I do?

Today was my shoulder day and I went up to 100lb DB shrugs 3x8. Way to easy. Should I just bump up my reps to failure or should I do BB shrugs?

chest6 is offline Banned
    do bb shrugs. Make sure you got some straps tho.

TCEL300 is offline Member
    i have to get a pair of straps...would they have em at like a sports athourity??

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I would go with the barbell shrugs. If you want to use dumbbells, in future workouts, try performing them seated. It minimizes assistance from the legs. Even if your form is strict, you be surprised how much more difficult it is.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by TCEL300
    i have to get a pair of straps...would they have em at like a sports athourity??
    It depends on what style you want. The old-school ones, with no wrist cushioning are my favs. I can get a tighter grip with them. They will mark up your wrists if you're fair-skinned, though. The ones that provide padding for the wrist will do the trick as well.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    It depends on what style you want. The old-school ones, with no wrist cushioning are my favs. I can get a tighter grip with them. They will mark up your wrists if you're fair-skinned, though. The ones that provide padding for the wrist will do the trick as well.
    Mine feel like my wrist is going to be sliced off. It is one strap with a hole you loop it through and they're really thin. They twist when I wrap them around the bar and put nasty gashes and shit on my wrists. You like these?

I just got some hooked gloves. I think they work pretty good.

gooroo is offline Associate Member
    Got a link to where I can buy some hooked gloves? I have the old school wraps and they cut into my wrists.

I just bought them at Hibbet Sports. I imagine a specialty sports shop would have them. I'm sure you can get them online as well, I just haven't ever looked. Good luck.

Actually there's a website on the box of gloves. Try www.valeoinc.com
    I don't know if you can order them directly from there, but they will at least direct you to a local retailer.

JNel04 is offline Associate Member
    i've just started using straps while doing db or bb shrugs but i still prefer using chalk.

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    ive never used chalk. chalk has a bad rep to me because i see people tryin to 'look big' and they leave chalk everywhere and walk away like "im too big, i can make a mess and not clean it up...use your towel and wipe it off the bench if you dont like it"... i have some hooked raps that work really well. I may have gotten them online, in fact i know i did, so ill see if i can find em and post the link tonight.

I like chalk best, but the Y won't use it because its to messy.

JNel04 is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE=max2extreme]chalk has a bad rep to me because i see people tryin to 'look big' and they leave chalk everywhere and walk away like "im too big, i can make a mess and not clean it up...use your towel and wipe it off the bench if you dont like it"QUOTE]

yea i kno what u mean. i really dont like the guys that dont give any respect to others in the gym just cuz they are big or think they are big. i am by no means the biggest dude at the gym but it helps me w/ my workout so i use it and just try not to make too much of a mess.

and if a gym doesnt allow u to use chalk its just cuz the people there are too lazy and dont wanna clean it up, IMO. its not that hard to clean up.

ward065 is offline Member
    if you want to, here is a suggestion:

Do a froogle search for spindlelock, or adjustable dumbells.

You can buy dumbells online that will fit FOUR 25-lb plates PER SIDE, or about 220lbs! What you do is buy them, bring them to the gym, and load 'em up with plates so you can go above your "gym limit"

From what i have seen- prices range from $40-$80 per adjustable dumbell. Moderate cost, but worth it if you need heavier dumbells

Billyspt4 is offline Associate Member
    Wow, your gym only goes up to 100# DBs? The rec center at my school at least goes up to 120#. Of course no one up there touches them, but they still have them. The gym I go to has DBs up to 200# and yes, people actually use them (for rows, shrugs, DB flat presses, etc....). I always use straps for shrugs. I've tried the ones without the padding in the past, they work, but I didn't care for them. I've since used only Schiek straps. They are expensive for straps, but they have neoprene padding on the wrists which is extremely confortable. www.schiek.com is where I bought mine, but I believe Dick's sporting goods sells them as well if you have one by you. They're definitely worth the money IMO

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    you are all lucky.. imagine the weights that a chinese guy can lift and yea, imagine a big american there tryin to lift! In my gym, the db's go to 50lbs!! hardly worth it. im maxin their db's with bi workouts! ill check into spindlelock too. never heard of em, but if i load up 45's, i cant see the plates not getting in the way..

Does anybody know if baby powder will have the same effect as chalk? I could easily bring in some baby powder to the Y and clean it up no problem. Will it work?

Liquidred is offline Associate Member
    db's to 50's??? thats crazy.....i think average joe's goes to 100.....jk

Quote Originally Posted by Romeoguy62
    Does anybody know if baby powder will have the same effect as chalk? I could easily bring in some baby powder to the Y and clean it up no problem. Will it work?

NO!!! Do not use baby powder, it is slick, it will not hold. You would need chalk, not baby powder. You'll have no grip with baby powder

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeoguy62
    Today was my shoulder day and I went up to 100lb DB shrugs 3x8. Way to easy. Should I just bump up my reps to failure or should I do BB shrugs?
    Bump your reps to failure...

I think dumbell shrugs is one of those exercises that people lift with their egos rather than good form and slow controlled movement..

I used to do it that way and when I finally smartend up and used a higher volume of reps... my traps responded to the change

Another alternative might be to do it on an incline bench press machine if your gym has one. I do shrugs on incline and decline machines a lot. I just straddle the bench part and grab both handles and shrug

Cool thanks guys. I'll steer clear from baby powder. I haven't decided on whether I'm going to do db shrugs to failure or barbell. Shoulders are Wed., so I'll try them both out and do whichever feels best.

No prob bro, keep us updated on how they go.

Thread Information