Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 32 of 32
  1. #1
    ward065's Avatar
    ward065 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    964

    deadlifts- gloves vs. no gloves

    wondering if anyone else experiences this, or if it is just me. This is actually a bit of a dilemma for me. I need to know which is best, each has very significant ups an downs.

    Doing deadlifts or barbell shrugs with gloves- Pros: My hands do not get bad , nasty calices on them that can bleed.

    Cons: I cannot perform as many reps with gloves, my grip always goes bad.

    Doing deadlifts or barbell shrugs with NO gloves: Pros: I can perform more reps with the desired weight than without gloves, because i am able to have a better grip. I am pretty sure this works the muscles better, since my grip maintains itself.

    Cons: I get really nasty calices and warts on my fingers and right below them, that can be very painful and even bleed. Sometimes it gets so bad that i can't perform the exercise effectively.

  2. #2
    IBdmfkr's Avatar
    IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,383
    No gloves, just wristwraps(which protect hands anyway).

  3. #3
    chest6's Avatar
    chest6 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    23,390
    i have started to do deadlifts with no gloves..and i have never used straps on deadlifts...only shrugs

  4. #4
    devil1's Avatar
    devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    working:(
    Posts
    3,355
    strap for shrugs only for me. i use a nuetral grip for deadlifts.

  5. #5
    ScottyShotty is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    270
    I bought a nice pair of nike gloves which I used for years.I like em because they seem to give my grip a more pumped up feeling mostly for bench and pushing exercises. As for pulling ex. I just let me hands rip and tear and stick it out. As for the warts, I used to have a bunch and they will all dissapear on their own someday. When?..who knows, but for now try bandaids and no gloves.

  6. #6
    ward065's Avatar
    ward065 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    964
    wrist staps don't help me w/ deadlifts at all- however, they really help me a lot with reverse preacher curls, chinups, wide grip pulldowns, and close grip pulldowns. Because otherwise i will lose the grip

    The grip losing on deadlifts happens with the gloves. My grip always, always goes bad on deadlifts with gloves. But then when i decide to not do gloves- my hands get sore and bleed (The past 2 weeks i used no gloves- the 2 weeks before that i HAD to use gloves as my hands were almost bleeding!! but then i always lost my grip after 5 reps, whereas i could do 8 without the gloves)

  7. #7
    ScottyShotty is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    wrist staps don't help me w/ deadlifts at all- however, they really help me a lot with reverse preacher curls, chinups, wide grip pulldowns, and close grip pulldowns. Because otherwise i will lose the grip

    The grip losing on deadlifts happens with the gloves. My grip always, always goes bad on deadlifts with gloves. But then when i decide to not do gloves- my hands get sore and bleed (The past 2 weeks i used no gloves- the 2 weeks before that i HAD to use gloves as my hands were almost bleeding!! but then i always lost my grip after 5 reps, whereas i could do 8 without the gloves)
    I've seen a few guys wrap paper towel around it but not for deadlifts

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    the gym
    Posts
    4,195
    gloves are for pussies

  9. #9
    ScottyShotty is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    gloves are for pussies
    I've heard alot of guys say that, but I dont wear them to protect my hands, in fact, I like when they bleed(that means youre getting a good workout )but I wear them because it gives me this mental pump and sikes me up for some reason. Maybe because they feel like 1 oz box ing gloves

  10. #10
    Billyspt4 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    297
    Have you ever tried using chalk when you aren't using gloves? I do not use gloves for anything, but whenever I do deads, I have to use chalk, otherwise, my hands will slip depending on how much weight there is

  11. #11
    chest6's Avatar
    chest6 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    23,390
    Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    wrist staps don't help me w/ deadlifts at all- however, they really help me a lot with reverse preacher curls, chinups, wide grip pulldowns, and close grip pulldowns. Because otherwise i will lose the grip

    The grip losing on deadlifts happens with the gloves. My grip always, always goes bad on deadlifts with gloves. But then when i decide to not do gloves- my hands get sore and bleed (The past 2 weeks i used no gloves- the 2 weeks before that i HAD to use gloves as my hands were almost bleeding!! but then i always lost my grip after 5 reps, whereas i could do 8 without the gloves)
    try working without straps unless for shrugs...your grip will come up

  12. #12
    abstrack's Avatar
    abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    7,513
    no gloves and no straps.

    My gym provides hand towels and on back day I grab two of them to use as a buffer between the bar.

  13. #13
    ward065's Avatar
    ward065 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    964
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyShotty
    I've heard alot of guys say that, but I dont wear them to protect my hands, in fact, I like when they bleed(that means youre getting a good workout )but I wear them because it gives me this mental pump and sikes me up for some reason. Maybe because they feel like 1 oz box ing gloves
    not really- i disagree.....when they bleed, you see i can't do the exercise really.

    i had my hands bleeding a few weeks ago after doing 2 sets- i had 2 more sets to go. Did 5 reps or so with 420 on deadlifts before 400lbs. Hands were bleeding badly. I had 2 more sets, at 380 and 360lbs but, i couldn't do them- i tried, but the pain was unbearable. and i was getting blood on the bar, that is a safety hazard.

  14. #14
    chest6's Avatar
    chest6 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    23,390
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    no gloves and no straps.

    My gym provides hand towels and on back day I grab two of them to use as a buffer between the bar.
    how do u do shrugs and bent over rows w heavy ass weight?

  15. #15
    Bigpup101's Avatar
    Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,282
    i absolutely need straps (NO GLOVES) for deads i used to not use anything but then after i started lifting over 500+ lbs straps are a neccesity to me

  16. #16
    abstrack's Avatar
    abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    7,513
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    how do u do shrugs and bent over rows w heavy ass weight?
    I only do what my grip allows me too. I want to strengthn my grip not take away from it. You can still make you body grow and not be the strongest person in the gym.

    To be honest I could care less if I could only bench 185lbs if I was built like Franco Columbo. Numbers dont mean shit to me. I just want to build muscle and stay away from injuries. I'm too old for the my dick is bigger than yours scenario

  17. #17
    IBdmfkr's Avatar
    IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,383
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    To be honest I could care less if I could only bench 185lbs if I was built like Franco Columbo.
    I like the way you think. But remember, he was one of the strongest little bastards alive.

  18. #18
    chest6's Avatar
    chest6 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    23,390
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    I only do what my grip allows me too. I want to strengthn my grip not take away from it. You can still make you body grow and not be the strongest person in the gym.

    To be honest I could care less if I could only bench 185lbs if I was built like Franco Columbo. Numbers dont mean shit to me. I just want to build muscle and stay away from injuries. I'm too old for the my dick is bigger than yours scenario
    Well that is a good way to think of it. So I could do shrugs with 225 for 50 reps and have my traps grow still?

  19. #19
    *KT*'s Avatar
    *KT* is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    36
    i try not to use straps unless i need to, try and build the arm muscles until you need to use straps then use them when the weight gets heavy

  20. #20
    IBdmfkr's Avatar
    IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,383
    I've worked out for a long time without straps and the same with them. I strongly believe they are good to use if you want to optimize your back and shoulder workouts. I go in the gym on back days to workout my back, not my arms and forearms. Your arms will give out before your back does, hindering your gains on back day.

  21. #21
    *KT*'s Avatar
    *KT* is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    36
    Your arms will give out before your back does, hindering your gains on back day.
    good point

  22. #22
    ScottyShotty is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by *KT*
    good point
    Good point again, I need to get some straps for back day just because my forearms always give out first. But using straps for deadlifts never really appealled to me because it seems dangerous...Then again I cant lift 500 lbs. but wish I could.

  23. #23
    IBdmfkr's Avatar
    IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,383
    It's not dangerous, just set it down if you feel you need to. But straps are a must IMO. I used to think the exact opposite until one day I was told to try it the otherway for a month, and my lifts slowely went through the roof.

  24. #24
    chicamahomico's Avatar
    chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hoss's Moms bedroom
    Posts
    2,993
    Use gloves until the problem clears up at the very least. You can lift more without gloves becasue the radius of the mass with bar and glove is larger and harder to hang on to.

    Do you chalk up before every set? Personally, I find that letting my hands callous up works best for me, I just get out a nailfile (your girl will have many) and take it to the rough spots until the hands are smooth yet toughened up.

  25. #25
    Billyspt4 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    297
    Straps definitely help me on certain exercises (all shrugs, lat pulldowns, HS pulldowns and pullups). Other than those exercises I do not use any straps. I do work the shit out of my forearms and my grip is pretty strong for what I handle.

  26. #26
    ward065's Avatar
    ward065 is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    964
    when you talk about straps you mean wrist straps right?

  27. #27
    chest6's Avatar
    chest6 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    23,390
    i dont see the point for lat pulls and chin ups...you shouldnt need them on these

  28. #28
    Bigpup101's Avatar
    Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    i dont see the point for lat pulls and chin ups...you shouldnt need them on these

    sometimes on my 3rd or fourth set i will wear them because my grip fatiques, for example before i started using straps on my 3rd set of chin ups (weighted) i could do 4-6 with the straps i'd be able to throw up 8 to 10 reps..your arms get tired quicker then your back

  29. #29
    chest6's Avatar
    chest6 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    23,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    sometimes on my 3rd or fourth set i will wear them because my grip fatiques, for example before i started using straps on my 3rd set of chin ups (weighted) i could do 4-6 with the straps i'd be able to throw up 8 to 10 reps..your arms get tired quicker then your back
    maybe I wouldnt know haha..i can do about 5 wide grip chins at most..since i weigh so much and im so outta shape

  30. #30
    Bigpup101's Avatar
    Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    maybe I wouldnt know haha..i can do about 5 wide grip chins at most..since i weigh so much and im so outta shape


    yeah they do make a difference..once you start going up in volume you'll appreciate the grips

  31. #31
    nalbano34's Avatar
    nalbano34 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    513
    Nuetral grip is a must for me if not using straps......the comment about the straps protecting the hands is dead on ...the really help.

  32. #32
    Billyspt4 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    297
    For lat pulldowns and pull ups, I don't need them all the time, I could probably go without them completely, but they just assure a strong grip. I'm a smaller guy, 158#, but on lat pulldowns, I'll be doing like 170-180 and if I even think of sweating without straps on, the weight goes straight up basically because it's more than the weight pulling on it. As far as pullups, basically the same idea, just allows you to do more without your grip slipping from sweat and fatigue on your last sets.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •