ward065 is offline Member

deadlifts- gloves vs. no gloves

wondering if anyone else experiences this, or if it is just me. This is actually a bit of a dilemma for me. I need to know which is best, each has very significant ups an downs.

Doing deadlifts or barbell shrugs with gloves- Pros: My hands do not get bad , nasty calices on them that can bleed.

Cons: I cannot perform as many reps with gloves, my grip always goes bad.

Doing deadlifts or barbell shrugs with NO gloves: Pros: I can perform more reps with the desired weight than without gloves, because i am able to have a better grip. I am pretty sure this works the muscles better, since my grip maintains itself.

Cons: I get really nasty calices and warts on my fingers and right below them, that can be very painful and even bleed. Sometimes it gets so bad that i can't perform the exercise effectively.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    No gloves, just wristwraps(which protect hands anyway).

chest6 is offline Banned
    i have started to do deadlifts with no gloves..and i have never used straps on deadlifts...only shrugs

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    strap for shrugs only for me. i use a nuetral grip for deadlifts.

ScottyShotty is offline Associate Member
    I bought a nice pair of nike gloves which I used for years.I like em because they seem to give my grip a more pumped up feeling mostly for bench and pushing exercises. As for pulling ex. I just let me hands rip and tear and stick it out. As for the warts, I used to have a bunch and they will all dissapear on their own someday. When?..who knows, but for now try bandaids and no gloves.

wrist staps don't help me w/ deadlifts at all- however, they really help me a lot with reverse preacher curls, chinups, wide grip pulldowns, and close grip pulldowns. Because otherwise i will lose the grip

The grip losing on deadlifts happens with the gloves. My grip always, always goes bad on deadlifts with gloves. But then when i decide to not do gloves- my hands get sore and bleed (The past 2 weeks i used no gloves- the 2 weeks before that i HAD to use gloves as my hands were almost bleeding!! but then i always lost my grip after 5 reps, whereas i could do 8 without the gloves)

Quote Originally Posted by ward065
    wrist staps don't help me w/ deadlifts at all- however, they really help me a lot with reverse preacher curls, chinups, wide grip pulldowns, and close grip pulldowns. Because otherwise i will lose the grip

The grip losing on deadlifts happens with the gloves. My grip always, always goes bad on deadlifts with gloves. But then when i decide to not do gloves- my hands get sore and bleed (The past 2 weeks i used no gloves- the 2 weeks before that i HAD to use gloves as my hands were almost bleeding!! but then i always lost my grip after 5 reps, whereas i could do 8 without the gloves)
    I've seen a few guys wrap paper towel around it but not for deadlifts

gloves are for pussies

Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    gloves are for pussies
    I've heard alot of guys say that, but I dont wear them to protect my hands, in fact, I like when they bleed(that means youre getting a good workout )but I wear them because it gives me this mental pump and sikes me up for some reason. Maybe because they feel like 1 oz box ing gloves

Billyspt4 is offline Associate Member
    Have you ever tried using chalk when you aren't using gloves? I do not use gloves for anything, but whenever I do deads, I have to use chalk, otherwise, my hands will slip depending on how much weight there is

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ward065

try working without straps unless for shrugs...your grip will come up

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    no gloves and no straps.

My gym provides hand towels and on back day I grab two of them to use as a buffer between the bar.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyShotty
    I've heard alot of guys say that, but I dont wear them to protect my hands, in fact, I like when they bleed(that means youre getting a good workout )but I wear them because it gives me this mental pump and sikes me up for some reason. Maybe because they feel like 1 oz box ing gloves
    not really- i disagree.....when they bleed, you see i can't do the exercise really.

i had my hands bleeding a few weeks ago after doing 2 sets- i had 2 more sets to go. Did 5 reps or so with 420 on deadlifts before 400lbs. Hands were bleeding badly. I had 2 more sets, at 380 and 360lbs but, i couldn't do them- i tried, but the pain was unbearable. and i was getting blood on the bar, that is a safety hazard.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    no gloves and no straps.

My gym provides hand towels and on back day I grab two of them to use as a buffer between the bar.
    how do u do shrugs and bent over rows w heavy ass weight?

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    i absolutely need straps (NO GLOVES) for deads i used to not use anything but then after i started lifting over 500+ lbs straps are a neccesity to me

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    how do u do shrugs and bent over rows w heavy ass weight?
    I only do what my grip allows me too. I want to strengthn my grip not take away from it. You can still make you body grow and not be the strongest person in the gym.

To be honest I could care less if I could only bench 185lbs if I was built like Franco Columbo. Numbers dont mean shit to me. I just want to build muscle and stay away from injuries. I'm too old for the my dick is bigger than yours scenario
    abstrack@protonmail.com

To be honest I could care less if I could only bench 185lbs if I was built like Franco Columbo.
    I like the way you think. But remember, he was one of the strongest little bastards alive.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I only do what my grip allows me too. I want to strengthn my grip not take away from it. You can still make you body grow and not be the strongest person in the gym.

To be honest I could care less if I could only bench 185lbs if I was built like Franco Columbo. Numbers dont mean shit to me. I just want to build muscle and stay away from injuries. I'm too old for the my dick is bigger than yours scenario
    Well that is a good way to think of it. So I could do shrugs with 225 for 50 reps and have my traps grow still?

*KT* is offline New Member
    i try not to use straps unless i need to, try and build the arm muscles until you need to use straps then use them when the weight gets heavy

I've worked out for a long time without straps and the same with them. I strongly believe they are good to use if you want to optimize your back and shoulder workouts. I go in the gym on back days to workout my back, not my arms and forearms. Your arms will give out before your back does, hindering your gains on back day.

*KT* is offline New Member
    Your arms will give out before your back does, hindering your gains on back day.
    good point

Quote Originally Posted by *KT*
    good point
    Good point again, I need to get some straps for back day just because my forearms always give out first. But using straps for deadlifts never really appealled to me because it seems dangerous...Then again I cant lift 500 lbs. but wish I could.

It's not dangerous, just set it down if you feel you need to. But straps are a must IMO. I used to think the exact opposite until one day I was told to try it the otherway for a month, and my lifts slowely went through the roof.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Use gloves until the problem clears up at the very least. You can lift more without gloves becasue the radius of the mass with bar and glove is larger and harder to hang on to.

Do you chalk up before every set? Personally, I find that letting my hands callous up works best for me, I just get out a nailfile (your girl will have many) and take it to the rough spots until the hands are smooth yet toughened up.

Straps definitely help me on certain exercises (all shrugs, lat pulldowns, HS pulldowns and pullups). Other than those exercises I do not use any straps. I do work the shit out of my forearms and my grip is pretty strong for what I handle.

when you talk about straps you mean wrist straps right?

chest6 is offline Banned
    i dont see the point for lat pulls and chin ups...you shouldnt need them on these

i dont see the point for lat pulls and chin ups...you shouldnt need them on these

sometimes on my 3rd or fourth set i will wear them because my grip fatiques, for example before i started using straps on my 3rd set of chin ups (weighted) i could do 4-6 with the straps i'd be able to throw up 8 to 10 reps..your arms get tired quicker then your back

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    sometimes on my 3rd or fourth set i will wear them because my grip fatiques, for example before i started using straps on my 3rd set of chin ups (weighted) i could do 4-6 with the straps i'd be able to throw up 8 to 10 reps..your arms get tired quicker then your back
    maybe I wouldnt know haha..i can do about 5 wide grip chins at most..since i weigh so much and im so outta shape

maybe I wouldnt know haha..i can do about 5 wide grip chins at most..since i weigh so much and im so outta shape

yeah they do make a difference..once you start going up in volume you'll appreciate the grips

nalbano34 is offline Member
    Nuetral grip is a must for me if not using straps......the comment about the straps protecting the hands is dead on ...the really help.

For lat pulldowns and pull ups, I don't need them all the time, I could probably go without them completely, but they just assure a strong grip. I'm a smaller guy, 158#, but on lat pulldowns, I'll be doing like 170-180 and if I even think of sweating without straps on, the weight goes straight up basically because it's more than the weight pulling on it. As far as pullups, basically the same idea, just allows you to do more without your grip slipping from sweat and fatigue on your last sets.

Thread Information