Tommy Gunn is offline Member

Seated overhead dumbell presses work mostly the front delt?

I know that seated overhead dumbell presses hit the front AND side delts, but what do they mostly hit?

I heard that they mostly hit the front delts. Is this true?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 10-09-2005 at 11:02 PM.

ScottyShotty is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    I know that seated overhead dumbell presses hit the front AND side delts, but what do they mostly hit?

I heard that they mostly hit the front delts. Is this true?
    Yes mostly the front, just do 1 set and you will feel it.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Yes its true, unfortunately. Since you have to externally rotate the shoulder so you can press overhead, its putting the front delt into the strongest position and putting the medial at a disadvantage. Notice that instead of being on the top of your shoulder its right on the back whilst the front delt is directly below the dumbell and taking most of the load.

So what you guys are saying is that seated overhead dumbell presses DO work mostly the front delt.

Right?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Yes. The medial is hard to target in compound exercises but even so, its a good idea to do them because it won't grow purely through isolating raises. You do need to do the shoulder presses in my opinion. It will send growth signals to your medial deltoids even if they don't ache much, and even though the deltoids are three separate heads, they are linked. So growth in one usually follows in the other.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    many peoplle believe you cannot improve part of a muscle, the whole muscle improves as a unit

D9S0M is offline Associate Member
    so basically u only need 1 pressing movement???

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Yes. The medial is hard to target in compound exercises but even so, its a good idea to do them because it won't grow purely through isolating raises. You do need to do the shoulder presses in my opinion. It will send growth signals to your medial deltoids even if they don't ache much, and even though the deltoids are three separate heads, they are linked. So growth in one usually follows in the other.
    Wide-grip upright rows could be a good compound exercise for the medial deltoids. Would you disagree with that statement, Flexor? I'm not being a smart-ass. You put a lot of thought into your posts. Just curious on your opinion.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by D9S0M
    so basically u only need 1 pressing movement???
    I would stick with one overhead pressing movement for the workout.

D9S0M is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    I would stick with one overhead pressing movement for the workout.

Thanks Striker..

Since I started wide grip upright rows (sets of 10,8,6,4 increasing weight each set), my side delts have exploded.

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    Since I started wide grip upright rows (sets of 10,8,6,4 increasing weight each set), my side delts have exploded.
    really? ive always went close grip, hit my front delts and traps. how high do you lift with wide grip?

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Yes its true, unfortunately. Since you have to externally rotate the shoulder so you can press overhead, its putting the front delt into the strongest position and putting the medial at a disadvantage. Notice that instead of being on the top of your shoulder its right on the back whilst the front delt is directly below the dumbell and taking most of the load.
    this is why i like one press and 3 side lats,, after chest

Flexor is offline Banned

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    Wide-grip upright rows could be a good compound exercise for the medial deltoids. Would you disagree with that statement, Flexor? I'm not being a smart-ass. You put a lot of thought into your posts. Just curious on your opinion.
    striker93, I've seen your posts in the past and you know your stuff. I agree wide-grip upright rows are a great exercise for the medial deltoids, but I have a problem with the amount of load it puts on the shoulders with the weight so far away from the body. The external rotators of the shoulder are working overtime to pull the weight up to shoulder height and, putting extreme repetitive load on those tendons causes them to weaken and slacken leading to loose joints in later life.

I've tried upright rows and often felt the humeral head grinding in the GH shoulder joint. Any exercise in which you are rotating the shoulder whilst moving it in another plane is a bad idea. I also don't like the chance of impingement. However, everybody's shoulder structure is different so maybe others have no trouble with upright rows.

Thread Information