Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Icon's Avatar
    Icon is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    139

    Swiss Ball Incline DB Presses???

    Hey Bros,

    This is my first thread here, but I was just wondering if anyone
    has any experience with using the Swiss Ball for incline db presses.
    I've read that Charles Poliquin said this was THE best exercise for
    chest. And I've seen some powerlifters use it as an accessory
    movement to flat barbell benches, but I've never seen it used as
    a bodybuilding movement.

    Does anyone do this movement and, if so, what results? Thanks
    for any help in advance.

  2. #2
    jbrand's Avatar
    jbrand is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    760

    Re: Swiss Ball Incline DB Presses???

    Originally posted by Icon
    Hey Bros,

    This is my first thread here, but I was just wondering if anyone
    has any experience with using the Swiss Ball for incline db presses.
    I've read that Charles Poliquin said this was THE best exercise for
    chest. And I've seen some powerlifters use it as an accessory
    movement to flat barbell benches, but I've never seen it used as
    a bodybuilding movement.

    Does anyone do this movement and, if so, what results? Thanks
    for any help in advance.
    I love Swiss Ball exercises, the shape of the ball offers a biomechanically superior position to standard benches. I seem to have to drop the weight on the swiss ball though in the process of achieving a reasonable balance. It's a great addition to any program, I don't do them exclusively but I definetely switch from a standard bench to a swiss ball in many exercises over a period of time.

  3. #3
    Icon's Avatar
    Icon is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    139

    Re: Re: Swiss Ball Incline DB Presses???

    Originally posted by jbrand


    I love Swiss Ball exercises, the shape of the ball offers a biomechanically superior position to standard benches. I seem to have to drop the weight on the swiss ball though in the process of achieving a reasonable balance. It's a great addition to any program, I don't do them exclusively but I definetely switch from a standard bench to a swiss ball in many exercises over a period of time.
    Thanks for the input, JB. I was wondering what the drop-off in weight
    is from your normal db incline press? Let's say if you usually use 100
    lb bells for incline ... what would you use for the Swiss Ball? 60? I
    recall that just getting into position on the Swiss Ball to begin pressing
    bells was hard as hell (from what I saw, at least).

  4. #4
    jbrand's Avatar
    jbrand is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    760

    Re: Re: Re: Swiss Ball Incline DB Presses???

    Originally posted by Icon


    Thanks for the input, JB. I was wondering what the drop-off in weight
    is from your normal db incline press? Let's say if you usually use 100
    lb bells for incline ... what would you use for the Swiss Ball? 60? I
    recall that just getting into position on the Swiss Ball to begin pressing
    bells was hard as hell (from what I saw, at least).
    I generally use 110# dumbbells on an incline bench, but the last time I did incline swiss ball I was using around 85-90# dumbbells. There is no real rule of thumb here, just be cautious and don't sacrifice losing your form/balance for a desired weightload -- there can be some pretty nasty spills if you aren't doing an exercise on a swiss ball correctly.

  5. #5
    dumbells101's Avatar
    dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,076
    The balance factor adds a nice little burn since the pecs have to stay contracted to support any lateral movement. Start with at least 1/2 of your normal incline weight and get the feel and balance first.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •