Girlyman is offline Associate Member

Overtraining legs?

If I do squats and other leg excersizes this winter (I ski/hike 4 days a week) will I overtraining if I only lift once a week? I know my legs will get strong as hell from skiing and mountaineering but I wanna put some size on them aswell (they are chickenlegs of steel)

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman
    If I do squats and other leg excersizes this winter (I ski/hike 4 days a week) will I overtraining if I only lift once a week? I know my legs will get strong as hell from skiing and mountaineering but I wanna put some size on them aswell (they are chickenlegs of steel)
    Its likely that you have conditioned your legs to withstand a beating and built some good quality slow twitch muscle with a good blood supply and aerobic ability.

As an example, cyclists don't just work their legs once a week, they do about one hundred kilometres in about four hours at high intensity usually three times a week and have fantastic recovering ability.

Maybe you could get away with hiking/skiing four days a week as well as a day of squats and other stuff. Afterall you will be using your muscles differently and recruiting different ratios of fast/slow twitch.

Maybe someone else has an opinion

Girlyman is offline Associate Member
    Thanks flex, yeah I have endurance like a mother but my legs are pathetic looking, I just wanna put some meat on them by next summer. I was thinking just lift upperbody this winter while Im skiing n hiking since I wont use much other than abs/back on the hill. But I dont wanna create an even bigger disparity

Thread Information