Machin3 is offline Associate Member

Best way to gain mass..

Other than diet, I talked to a trainer today at my local gym. He told me the best way to get gains is to go heavy one week and light the next week...He also told me splits are the best...I questioned this so I posted it for some opinions from you guys...What do you think?

singern is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Machin3
    Other than diet, I talked to a trainer today at my local gym. He told me the best way to get gains is to go heavy one week and light the next week...He also told me splits are the best...I questioned this so I posted it for some opinions from you guys...What do you think?

I agree completely. Keep your muscles guessing, it will help keep you from hitting plateau's and keeps you growing.

Personally I have two different routines for each body part and rotate them weekly. There are web sites where you can get endless exercises and instructions on proper form. I use them for new ideas, and to change my routines.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by singern
    I agree completely. Keep your muscles guessing, it will help keep you from hitting plateau's and keeps you growing.

Personally I have two different routines for each body part and rotate them weekly. There are web sites where you can get endless exercises and instructions on proper form. I use them for new ideas, and to change my routines.

i agree to I incorporate this type of training in my program, and for others, works wonders to, lighter higher reps dose not mean it will be easy, if any thing its harder..
    Last edited by S.P.G; 10-19-2005 at 07:31 AM.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    i believe powerlifting, preferably westside is a great way to gain mass. I have been training it for about 4 weeks now and I can see very impressive gains in my back/traps.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    also alot of very noticable size in the triceps

Duster is offline Junior Member
    My friend at the gym wanted to gain some more mass in his chest and he got this routin where he does his normal routine goes heavy...then the next day does the same routin light weights high reps....i have never tried it but he said he liked it...but thats chest maybe you could use it on other parts im not sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Duster
    My friend at the gym wanted to gain some more mass in his chest and he got this routin where he does his normal routine goes heavy...then the next day does the same routin light weights high reps....i have never tried it but he said he liked it...but thats chest maybe you could use it on other parts im not sure...
    No offence Duster, but this is a recipe for disaster, after going heavy, you need to repair the muscle tissue for several days (which leads to growth). Working the same muscle group two days in a row is counterproductive at best.

No offence Duster, but this is a recipe for disaster, after going heavy, you need to repair the muscle tissue for several days (which leads to growth). Working the same muscle group two days in a row is counterproductive at best.
    agreed

I had to take 6 weeks off of chest about 7 months ago. the first two weeks i came back i did 3 sets of 30 for bench and in two weeks i was where i left off before my injury. high reps work IMO, but not all the time...need that weight atleast every other week

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Agreed, training the same muscle 2 days in a row "light" or not is a very bad idea.

~SC~

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    Best way to gain mass = compound movements.

Darkness is offline Member
    I think diet is more important but thats just me!

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    I think the best way to gain mass is get a barbell, put a lot of weight on it, put it on your traps, go up and down and repeat til you cant do it anymore

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 305GUY
    Best way to gain mass = compound movements.
    There is no better way than this. Compound movements work the body the way it was designed to be worked and allows you to work several muscle groups hard at a time.

cherokee6 is offline Junior Member

what websites...im always lookng for new stuff that will push me over the top

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee6
    what websites...im always lookng for new stuff that will push me over the top

Wow this is an old post.
    Here are a couple good sites.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise1.htm

I have two different routines for each muscle group, and I rotate them every week. Then every 4 months I change them completely.

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    Wow this is an old post.
    Here are a couple good sites.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise1.htm

I have two different routines for each muscle group, and I rotate them every week. Then every 4 months I change them completely.
    good sites for explanations for exercises but I'd say AR is the best for getting a good routine and advice

210-6foot is offline Junior Member
    What are compound movements? Could someone hook me up with a link?

Quote Originally Posted by 24labor
    good sites for explanations for exercises but I'd say AR is the best for getting a good routine and advice
    Truth....

Quote Originally Posted by 210-6foot
    What are compound movements? Could someone hook me up with a link?
    Compound Exercises
    A compound exercise involves two or more joint movements. Because more than one joint is moving, multiple muscles are used during the same exercise. Compound exercises are a great way of maximizing your time in the gym because you can workout multiple muscles at the same time.

Here is a good link with basic examples.

http://www.24hourfitness.com/html/fi...cles/compound/

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    Compound movements, and changing the exercises once in a while work well. Keep your body guessing, I try to do that everyday.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Compound is the only way to go, thinking otherwise is being ignorant of the scientific facts. More weight used, more muscle fibres recruited, therefore compound exercises are superior for building mass and strength. Isolating exercises have their place, but only to add more stimulation as an auxilliary exercise. It is the big basic exercises that are the most important...

Wow, I looked at the exercises and I do mostly all of them. But my question is now I wanted to bulk and say bench I was doing as high as 12 reps, but I saw something about 6-8 reps being good. For bulking which is perfered?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Both. Work one for 4-6 weeks then change it up.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Both. Work one for 4-6 weeks then change it up.
    ^^^ speaks the truth

okie dokie, so I am going to change it up when the month is done, thanks =)

thaileeee is offline New Member
    compound movements.progressive overload.hardcore diet.lots of rest.all this=MASS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information