flyguy7 is offline Associate Member

underdeveloped chest

Yeah, another dude with a small chest- like tons of people. What I don't understand is how to fix it. People I talk to will say things like "yeah I had really bad biceps/delts/etc. but I worked through it" and what I don't get is how to work through it. I feel like if I lift the chest more it'll just be overtraining. How can I work through an underdeveloped chest? What exercises should I be doing- all pressing movements? Should I be going ballistic on it and lifting chest for 3 hours?

Safety31 is offline Banned
    im just like you and had no chest what so ever..i still think my chest is underdeveloped but if you lose weight meaning bodyfat the chest will look fuller and more defined...thats all i can say because my chest doesnt seem to get bigger but when i cut down it looks better

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyguy7
    Yeah, another dude with a small chest- like tons of people. What I don't understand is how to fix it. People I talk to will say things like "yeah I had really bad biceps/delts/etc. but I worked through it" and what I don't get is how to work through it. I feel like if I lift the chest more it'll just be overtraining. How can I work through an underdeveloped chest? What exercises should I be doing- all pressing movements? Should I be going ballistic on it and lifting chest for 3 hours?
    Never listen lots of people have laggin body parts it happens even to the pros. You just need to sty with it, it will grow over some time. Working 3 hours or throwing in more sets will keep you where you are at now. Rule of thumb is 10-12 set for bigger muscle in this case chest. Heavy bench, flyes, dips should get that baby popping out. Try some heavy reps of 8 with a slow tempo nice and conrtolled don't let it bounce and get a spotter to push you through those 2 last reps( the most important ones) skip the cablecrossovers and other crap like that stay with the above and go big or go home.

Flexor is offline Banned

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 24labor
    Never listen lots of people have laggin body parts it happens even to the pros. You just need to sty with it, it will grow over some time. Working 3 hours or throwing in more sets will keep you where you are at now. Rule of thumb is 10-12 set for bigger muscle in this case chest. Heavy bench, flyes, dips should get that baby popping out. Try some heavy reps of 8 with a slow tempo nice and conrtolled don't let it bounce and get a spotter to push you through those 2 last reps( the most important ones) skip the cablecrossovers and other crap like that stay with the above and go big or go home.
    You've got chest technique nailed. Couldn't have set it better myself, which is rare

One thing extra though. Not to say there isn't hope, but its your genetics that is holding your chest back. Still, go for it because it will improve.

After a mate of mine had lifted for one year, he had a fully developed inner chest portion. After I had lifted for a year, starting at the same time, I had a fully developed outer part but not inner even though we had similar workouts, e.g. flat, dips, flyes...thats genetics and it sux. Predestined shape and size...

HULKBOY is offline Member
    yea genetics suck ass my chest is small compared to the rest of my body too it seems like my back keeps gettin bigger and my chest keeps gettin smaller. dam genetics pft.

decadbal is offline Banned
    ok, this is my opinion.. so im not gonna debate it with anyone, but the slow tempo crap. is a waste of time.. my chest and triceps are the parts that stand out on me.. what you need to do, is go heavy, but only heavy enough u can still be semi explosive.. you need to push thru the wt hard in the beginning, but only hard enough so that you can maintain control. slow reps are a waste of time, they wont get you anywhere, you need to get both muscle fibers into the movement.. so explode... or push out hard, or whatever u wanna call it. do incline first, then bench and then maybe flyes.. also, i used dumbells now, it is alot harder and safer.. i have grown a good bit from dumbells in the last 4 months.. good luck, i hope it works for u

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by decadbal
    ok, this is my opinion.. so im not gonna debate it with anyone, but the slow tempo crap. is a waste of time.. my chest and triceps are the parts that stand out on me.. what you need to do, is go heavy, but only heavy enough u can still be semi explosive.. you need to push thru the wt hard in the beginning, but only hard enough so that you can maintain control. slow reps are a waste of time, they wont get you anywhere, you need to get both muscle fibers into the movement.. so explode... or push out hard, or whatever u wanna call it. do incline first, then bench and then maybe flyes.. also, i used dumbells now, it is alot harder and safer.. i have grown a good bit from dumbells in the last 4 months.. good luck, i hope it works for u
    Well lets debate it anyway...

Slow reps means slowly lowering it to your chest, and this does a huge amount of damage to the muscle fibres. I'm agreed with you for the exploding powerfully on the concentric, but the eccentric should take 3 seconds to get a great stretch. Most muscle damage is done on the eccentric.

I wouldn't exactly call dumbells safer but they definitely are harder. They are less safe because its less stable and there is more stress put through the joints. Other than that, what you're saying is right iMO

flyguy7 is offline Associate Member
    Generally I just start at first with the heavy weight on the bar, but all sets after that I try to make at least the last few reps slow and stretched. I definitely think slow reps are important, but when it comes to my chest i'll try anything. You guys all do fly work, because some have said for chest size I should only do pressing movements-incline and bench basically on repeat.

ward065 is offline Member
    My chest used to be one of my weakest bodyparts- that is- until i augmented more exercises into my routine

i used to do only bench presses for chest, and it never grew.

so now i do bench presses, incline presses and usually do one of them with dumbells. I also do flies and cable crossovers, and i generally alternate these. Weighted dips (wide) are another great chest exercise, however, most people at my gym anyways are too chicken to do the exercise.

i am one of the people out there who believes "weak genetics" are generally an excuse. This is what i used to think ( i had bad genetics for my chest), and now some of my weaker parts have become almost my best. However to be completely honest, genetices do play a role of some type; my upper body is very well developed, however, my legs have ALWAYS lagged behind no matter how hard i train them.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    for growth, try splitting up ur chest into 2 sep workouts a week, like a mon-fri or mon-thurs, try going heavy one day, then going high intensity the next, i see BIG gains like this, although it shouldnt be ur steady workout, but if u try it for 4-6 weeks then go back to ur reg workout, I GARUNTEE growth n strength, something like

mon
    2 warm up sets on flat bench, reps like 15 then one of 12
    flat bench- x7 x5 x3
    incline same , all sets to absolut failure
    i usually throw in bis after that
    then fri do something like
    flat dumbel- x15 x12 x10 x10
    inclien flys-3x12
    then maybe crossovers- 3x12
    then i throw in tris after this
    This for 6 weeks then back your re routine i PROMISE u results, of course doet has to be in check, n everytrhing esle, but this really works for me, going from once a week to twice

Thread Information