D9S0M is offline Associate Member

how many sets for traps?

How Many Sets Does Everyone Do For Traps???

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    well it all depends what your working for..
    your goals..
    and so on...
    i would say stick to bout four to five of like 6 to 8 reps with heavey weight...
    then on other hand i do like 3 to 4 sets of like higher end of reps which gives me nice shape round the back...
    it really depends what your working towards...
    just say 4 sets or so
    should be right ...

Dumbells or barbells or do u alt them wk to wk?

yes you can alternate...
    but i seem to favour the bar...
    i dont know why it might not be better
    or it might be i dont know but i preffer it over dumbell i get a better feel
    thats just me .........

Quote Originally Posted by collar
    yes you can alternate...
    but i seem to favour the bar...
    i dont know why it might not be better
    or it might be i dont know but i preffer it over dumbell i get a better feel
    thats just me .........
    thanks collar...anyone else?

ToTheBuckeT21 is offline Senior Member
    i do shrugs but i just added a workout in.. i don't know maybe u've heard of it.. but basicly get the rope that u use for like tri pulldowns and connect it to the top cable.. then sit down facing the machine and pull the rop down toward your nose. i get more burn in my traps from this than anything... if you want more info i'll try and describe it better if you can't follow

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    I throw my traps in with my back b/c I get a nice burn on my traps when I dead lift so I just do some heavy ass shrugs

im not trying say you do deadlifts wrong ...
    im sure you have your own technic...
    but doing deadlifts you shouldnt really feel burn on your traps ...

what i mean is ..
    you have to try relax your shoulders like their not even there and concentrate liftin g the weight with your lower back...

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    I do traps on shoulder day. Normally 8-10sets, 10-15reps. Treat it like any other muscle. Like calves for example, they won't grow off of 4sets.

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by collar
    what i mean is ..
    you have to try relax your shoulders like their not even there and concentrate liftin g the weight with your lower back...
    Yea I'd have to say I haven't really felt it in my traps as much recently unlike when I first started doing deads , but I heard of people getting a good workout through them. I've been getting some help with my form so not much trap workout there I'd say that my traps are so sore from the shrugs that I attributed it to the deadlifts

Thanks Guys

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by IBdmfkr
    they won't grow off of 4sets.
    i disagree.... I think they will grow just fine with 3-4 sets of shrugs on back day, I have never done more than this and there one of my best body parts!

Not to say that will work for you but you cant rule it out..
    Last edited by S.P.G; 10-22-2005 at 02:47 AM.

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    4-5 sets does me fine increasing the weight,,,or i do one warm up set and then really heavy and one big drop set to total failure,,which works out to be 4-5 sets all at once and my traps are huge..

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    i disagree.... I think they will grow just fine with 3-4 sets of shrugs on back day, I have never done more than this and there one of my best body parts!

Not to say that will work for you but you cant rule it out..
    They are a lagging bodypart for me, unlike my shoulders which I only do 3-4sets and they grow. So I see your point, genetics plays a role. I don't do shrugs on back day either, I do them on shoulders 2-3days after back. Some guys are blessed with traps, not I. Sorta like calves.

Quote Originally Posted by 24labor
    Yea I'd have to say I haven't really felt it in my traps as much recently unlike when I first started doing deads , but I heard of people getting a good workout through them. I've been getting some help with my form so not much trap workout there I'd say that my traps are so sore from the shrugs that I attributed it to the deadlifts
    gotchya .......

TCEL300 is offline Member
    i hit them on back day...i found a few workouts that seem to really be paying off..i do my workout and then i grab the 45's db..or whatever u want..and i just hold them at regular shoulder level for 3 reps about 10 seconds each...personally i really feel it...also i lean on an incline bench stomach down. I hold the weights and do a shrug movement...few things i peaked up hope it helps some1

Quote Originally Posted by TCEL300
    i hit them on back day...i found a few workouts that seem to really be paying off..i do my workout and then i grab the 45's db..or whatever u want..and i just hold them at regular shoulder level for 3 reps about 10 seconds each...personally i really feel it...also i lean on an incline bench stomach down. I hold the weights and do a shrug movement...few things i peaked up hope it helps some1

Thanks Bro,ima give that a try...

mitch911 is offline Member
    if you have one of those adjustable benching machines that have no bar in the middle and just on the outside and can adjust for many angles to hit the chest/miltary for shoulders try them out (this is hard to explain but alot of gyms have them in there machine section..kind of like a --u-- shape lookin from above head. i find this is killer on the traps shrug with shitload more than the dumbels can get and u dont have to wrry about the barbell scraping ur ass or ur balls infront or behind u..just throwing this in my shoulder routine 2 sets of as heavy as i can go fro about 10-15 reps high intensity holding poisition and squeezing at the top for at least 2 sec slow on the way down let it pull ur whole shoulders down for the stretch my traps actually hurt for 2-3 days after when they usually arent sore at all good stuff give it a try

DWayne is offline Junior Member
    Hitting traps on back day 3-4 sets helps alot. Depending on your training schedule, i think that you should still hit traps on shoulder day too...especially if traps are lacking. My favorite variations of shrugs is using the Smith Machine. The Smith machine allows for shrugs behind the back and in front.

decadbal is offline Banned
    i go till i cant, maybe 5 or 6

Thread Information