mustang331 is offline Member

4x5 or 20 rep Squats??

I just started to do them again, aswell as Deadlifts.. Have no idea why I stopped doing Squats but I love em..

I used to do 1 set of 20 rep squats as my routine in the past.
    I am cutting a right now and wanted to start doing them again, do you guys like 20 rep squats or do you think a normal 4set 5 rep routine will be a better choice?

TCEL300 is offline Member
    bro check out the sticky at the top of the page....swole cat posted some insane leg workouts...they should help

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    Three to four sets of fifteen reps. Remember my name so you can cuss at me when your done. but seriously do that with weight you can manage for about a month and you will definately see a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    Three to four sets of fifteen reps. Remember my name so you can cuss at me when your done. but seriously do that with weight you can manage for about a month and you will definately see a difference.

4 SETS of 15 reps!!! OMG!!!

**EDIT.. Just read Swole Cat's Sticky.. 4 sets of 20 rep squats?? I do one set and I AM DONE for a week.. Wouldn't I be overworking my legs??
    Last edited by mustang331; 10-23-2005 at 10:12 AM.

decadbal is offline Banned
    i agree, the higher reps work better for my legs on squats.. and most other leg lifts.. i usually dont ever go below 12

What about soreness.. I do deadlifts on Monday's and Squat on Fridays.. I just started both last week and still crazy sore from Fridays squats.. Should I press on and just Deadlift tomorrow anyway??

My legs are sore as crap!

Try deadlifting and squats on the same day. Just be sure to get plenty of rest between excercises. Its what I do.

ToTheBuckeT21 is offline Senior Member
    I've always wondered the same thing should i do high reps or low reps... i just switch it up.

decadbal is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    Try deadlifting and squats on the same day. Just be sure to get plenty of rest between excercises. Its what I do.
    dont do this... back and legs are two big muscle groups... no one should do them on the same day

Quote Originally Posted by decadbal
    dont do this... back and legs are two big muscle groups... no one should do them on the same day

Yea that would be to much for me.. My back day is not much, but since I do some heavy deads I am sure I don't need more than this (FOR NOW)

I do 5 sets of deads with the last two super heavy to failer, usually 4-6 reps
    I then do 3 sets of pull ups own body weight to failer.

That's it for my back, and my entire back ( and rest of my body ) is sore after that like crazy...

To add in legs aswell would be sucide for me

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    Deca 's right. And NewKid said it, 5 sets no less than 15 reps.

Here's my leg routine:
    Monday
    (Quads)
    Squats 5 * 15 reps
    Inner quad leg press 5 * 10 reps
    Leg Extensions 4 * fail
    (Calves)

I do deads for back on Wednesday. However, I also do deads to upper shin on Thursday, w/ Hams (much less weight, of course)

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    i keep my lower body always in the 12-15 rep range my leg routine is pretty good IMO usually the next two days are a biotch to walk but here it is..

1x warm up set of 35reps leg extensions
    4x squats
    3x leg ext
    3x dumbell lunges

4x romanian deadlifts
    3x lying leg curls
    3x standing leg curls

all 12-15..and i think my legs are the best part of my body

Yeah okay. Sorry about that...but it really does work for me. But back to you.

Maybe you could try working to soreness every other week. One week workout with high intensity and the next week do kind of a pump day with lower intensity. Then repeat. Do you see what I mean?

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    there's a guy that works out at my guy who plays lacrosse for a local univercity he does 5 sets of jumping squats for about 10+ reps, he doesn't count reps for any exercise. this dude is the cuttest and best fittest guy in the gym, he doesn't lift the most but could run circles around everyone else combined. his endurance is is insane! and he looks like poindexter glasses and all

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang331

**EDIT.. Just read Swole Cat's Sticky.. 4 sets of 20 rep squats?? I do one set and I AM DONE for a week.. Wouldn't I be overworking my legs??

I did 4 sets of 20 last night. Of course i took some weight off and focused on range of motion, i expect good results from this.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mustang331

I do six sets of twenty increasing weight to 330 lbs on the last set, then Hack squat 6 sets (two to failure at 400 lbs), then, barbell lunges (6 sets) and then will loaf and finish up with some drop sets on leg extentions.

Legs can really take a beating and you have to beat them to make them grow.

If you can only do one set, no flame intended, you really need to focus on your wheels. They are seriously lagging.

Thread Information