gabriel595 is offline Associate Member

chest & shoulders????

i've always worked shoulders alone, how many of you guys would recomend me to work chest with shoulders? have you seen better results doing this?

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    I work legs and shoulders, just me though.

godkilla is offline Senior Member
    i only work chest with shoulders when i do my 3 day split m/w/f. other than that it shoulders and traps or shoulders and triceps for me.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Not putting shoulders with chest is stupid. The anterior delt gets so knackered from benching and dipping that you might as well just throw in 3 sets of military presses after it and 3 sets of lateral raises and that is it.

The rear delt gets hit perfectly by rows on back day, so just chuck in some bent over lateral raises as the isolation on back day.

Some people might have stubborn shoulders that don't grow, so they do whatever they can to get them to grow...like with their own day

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    I always work shoulders with chest and tri's.... I used to work them with legs, but I've noticed way better gains in size/strength training this way. Some people prefer to add in an additional day for cuff work though.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    I always work shoulders with chest and tri's.... I used to work them with legs, but I've noticed way better gains in size/strength training this way. Some people prefer to add in an additional day for cuff work though.
    Exactly, I also do shoulders, chest and tris.

That way the benching hits the pecs but pre-exhausts them as well and allows dips to fully concentrate on the triceps. Then I do flyes, skulls and some lateral raises and its quite a compact session even though I've worked everything. At the moment I am not needing military presses for my shoulders as the benching is really make them sore.

Gains in size and strength are greater when you work muscle groups together that work naturally in everyday activites. For example, combining biceps and back causes the greatest amount of neurological activation in both groups. Same with tris and chest, and shoulders and chest.
    Last edited by Flexor; 10-14-2005 at 07:58 AM.

SAGAD_01 is offline Junior Member
    i think delts need a day for their own...

tried combining them with chest and tri b4...

noticed that i can't lift the same weight than if i do them on a seperate day...

using perfect form and technique, more weight equals more stimulation equals more growth right? so if i could use a heavier weight for my delts if i do them seperately, i'll do them seperately...

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    i do this split at the minute :

day 1 : back / triceps
    day 2 : off
    day 3 : chest / shoulders
    day 4 : off
    day 5 : legs / biceps / shoulders

i hit shoulders twice in the wk now cos i felt as if i hadnt blasted them on day 3 so by doing them again on day 5 they had 5 days to recover fully

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SAGAD_01
    i think delts need a day for their own...

tried combining them with chest and tri b4...

noticed that i can't lift the same weight than if i do them on a seperate day...

using perfect form and technique, more weight equals more stimulation equals more growth right? so if i could use a heavier weight for my delts if i do them seperately, i'll do them seperately...
    You're right, but my front delts always ache like hell after benching and doing military presses doesn't do that for me. I bench way more than I military press so its handling more weight and therefore more growth.

gabriel595 is offline Associate Member
    thanks for all the responses they've been very helpfull, i was thinking of doing 10 sets of chest and 10 for shoulders because i want to hit the shoulders as much as i can...would this be overtraining?

Liftnainez is offline Banned
    i have also been interested in this spli- chest/shoulders.. I will be starting to use this coming up this week.. i will let you know how it goes.. anybody else with good experiences from training chest/shoulders together?
    Thanks bros

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Not putting shoulders with chest is stupid.
    You just called the majority of members here stupid. Overworking your SITS muscles is stupid.

robkesl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMYL_GR8
    You just called the majority of members here stupid. Overworking your SITS muscles is stupid.

i agree, i dont do chest and shoulders together, and i dont know of anyone that does. and ive always had good growth, i feel that after my chest workout im too taxed to try any other muscles, same for shoulders, and it would A: lack the ability to hit the shoulders effectively, and B: just cause hell on your rotator cuffs.

superbeast is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    You're right, but my front delts always ache like hell after benching and doing military presses doesn't do that for me.
    Maybe you should try bench pressing correctly or a different exercise so that you work your chest rather than your front delts.

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    i wouldnt ever do chest and shoulders together because when im done with either exercise, im worn out. i hit both pretty hard. and that would just take too much time for me.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    I work Chest and shoulders on different days.
    Mon-Bis
    Tues-Legs
    Wed-Chest
    Wed-Back/Tri
    Thurs-Shoulers
    Fri-Bis
    Sat/Sun- Cardio

Thread Information