BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member

Need Abdominal/Trunk exercise plan.

Gentlemen,

I've been lifting and cycling for years, mostly with an eye to building sheer mass and strength. Cardio fitness, abs (who needs 'em, right?) were never my goals.

Since joining A.R. I've learned how to cycle correctly, P.C.T. and what it entails, anti-estrogens, and the importance of a clean diet. At 36, I am using a VERY different approach in the gym.

My question involves adding, for the first time, some abdominal, lower-back, and oblique exercises. It's a little embarrasing because I'm around 260 lbs. and have a very impressive bench and squat, but cramp up if I do even fifteen crunches. How, and what, should I add to my routine this late in the day, as it were?

-BigLittleTim

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    well, even though you are an experienced lifter it seems, id say go back to the basics. Basic crunches, leg lifts, side bends, etc. nothing fancy. just start building a little. being 260, and that youve never done cardio/fitness/abs, id assume thats not a solid 260lbs of leanness.. and so no matter how many ab workouts you do, you'll never be able to see them. First things first, get on the bike...get in the pool...get on the treadmill. basically just start doing cardio at 3-5x a week, whatever you can handle and make sure your heart rate is in "cardio zone". and change your diet. good luck.

Have already radically changed diet and have seen improvement. I'm doing cardio (the treadmill) three times per week, but don't want to loose too much strength.

When should I do cardio, before or after the weights?

How often should one work-in abs during the week? Are they done EVERY workout, or just once every four/five days like chest, legs, etc.

Many thanks.

BigLittleTim

decadbal is offline Banned
    do cardio when u wake up if u can... if not then some ppl do it after they workout, dont ever do it prewo.. as far as abs go, i do this... upper and middle one day, the next i do lower and obliques.. rest a day, then repeat, then rest 2 days, thats 2 workouts for each muscle group per week.. good luck

Will look up some exercises for upper & middle abs, and obliques. Sounds like a reasonable rotation, but I'm gonna have to start small and work my way up.

Many thanks,

BigLittleTim

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    good luck man!

Thread Information