thegodfather is offline Dulce bellum inexpertis

safety

safety
    Last edited by thegodfather; 11-06-2007 at 04:53 PM.

znak is offline Senior Member
    This one is better.

A couple comments.

Warm up. My first set one a muscle group is 20 reps with a light weight. My second set is 10-15 with a a little more weight. Third set adds a little more weight. I warm up, until I am warmed up. Eight reps will warm me up, only if I am already warmed up.

Doing 6-8, 4-6, 2-4, 1-2 reps will work. It is a very injury prone way to work though. I would do 8-10, 6-8, 4-6, 2-4. You really don't want to try to max out every work out. If you are going to do this type of work out, YOU MUST HAVE A PARTNER/SPOTTER.

Don't do flys to failure. All that is going to do is destroy your shoulders.

Five sets of dips to failure is pointless. You failed on your first set, then what. 3-5 reps, then 1-2? Do weighted dips. 10 with no weight, 10 with some weight, 8 with more weight, etc. Same thing. Add weight to get you in the range where you can only do 4 reps. Going lower on dips is asking for shoulder problems. Put a box or something under your feet so that you can fail safely. Pull downs are great after weighted dips. It is about all you can do anyways, you'll be so trashed.

Squats need to be in much higher reps. Doing 1-2 is pointless. Start with 20 and add weight until you can only do 10.

Pulls ups. Same thing as dips. Add weight. 10 with no weight, 10 with some weight, 8-9 with more weight, 7-8 with more weigh, 6-7 with more weight. Mix up you grip from time to time. Nail your lats from every angle.

All of your lifts in general should start with ten reps and then you add weight and do as many as you can with good form and without getting all wiggly. Doing curls down to one rep is silly.

Save you drop sets until you have your 10,8,6,4 reps clear and machine like. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. Clean powerful complete strokes. Think about that before you start. Dips, pull ups, bench, it is all the same. Clean powerful strokes, clean possitive stroke and clean negative stroke. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom.

I get jacked just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by znak
    Save you drop sets until you have your 10,8,6,4 reps clear and machine like. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. Clean powerful complete strokes. Think about that before you start. Dips, pull ups, bench, it is all the same. Clean powerful strokes, clean possitive stroke and clean negative stroke. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom.

I get jacked just thinking about it.
    LOL....thanks for your comments bro...Would you also find it beneficial to maybe add Incline Bench as well to my chest workout?

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather
    LOL....thanks for your comments bro...Would you also find it beneficial to maybe add Incline Bench as well to my chest workout?
    I wouldn't have the energy. You are doing bench down to 4 reps, military down to four reps and then weighted dips down to four reps. That is a lot of compound exercises. If you are putting on the right amount of weight for your body/strength/size/skill/training level,you will be TRASHED by the end of this work out.

On the other hand, if you are half assing it, shit you could add a dozen exercises and wear a tu-tu and nothing is going to happen.

Mass comes when you progressively overload you muscles. These are the types of weights that you have to glaze over for a few seconds, huff and puff and then just dig in, in order to get the first rep. Mass is miind over matter, not the number of exercises.

I am not trying to be an asshole, but if you understand the last paragraph, you understand how to put on mass. You should be using a weight that have to psyche yourself up to approach. You will not put on mass with weights you are comfortable with. After each set, it should take some time for you to get your pulse back down and think about another set. You should be dripping. In the zone. Close to puking. That is the mass game.

Great responses dude...I appreciate the motivation...

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    That's a lot of supersetting...

Znak..i don't agree with you in regards to your comment about low-rep squats (1-2 range) being pointless...but i'm not going to get into a debate on it..as everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Back to the godfather.

Pullups and Lat pulldowns are similar...and i wouldn't superset rows personally...Rows by themselves are pretty taxing. If you must... try a straight-arm barbell/dumbell pullover in the place of the Lat-pulldown.

Is your split going to be 1 day on...1 day off?

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    That's a lot of supersetting...

Znak..i don't agree with you in regards to your comment about low-rep squats (1-2 range) being pointless...but i'm not going to get into a debate on it..as everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Back to the godfather.

Pullups and Lat pulldowns are similar...and i wouldn't superset rows personally...Rows by themselves are pretty taxing. If you must... try a straight-arm barbell/dumbell pullover in the place of the Lat-pulldown.

Is your split going to be 1 day on...1 day off?
    No, only 3 days a week, I generally take a little while to recover...I like to give a full 6 days for recovery of each muscle group.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos

Low rep squats certainly have their place for an advanced body builder, but until you have the core strength necessary to do them properly and safely. I have found that people come around much faster if you train them range of twenty reps.

Pointless for some...

By the way, congrats on your Vet status.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    Low rep squats certainly have their place for an advanced body builder, but until you have the core strength necessary to do them properly and safely. I have found that people come around much faster if you train them range of twenty reps.

Pointless for some...

By the way, congrats on your Vet status.
    You've raised a valid concern...my assumption was that the abovementioned poster had at least moderate training experience.

The program outlined above appears to be that of someone with some training behind 'em.

By the way...Thanks

I appreciate your responses and inputs, I will make adjustments to my program accordingly as I do agree with everything said..Thanks for the help..

Thread Information