JerzeyBoy is offline Member

Can someone explain Deadlifts and Bent Laterals to me

Can someone explain Deadlifts and Bent Laterals to me better??

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    bent over laterals...hold db in each hand. lean over til your body is 90 degree angle. you can either stand and do this or sit and do this. i prefer to sit. bend knees slightly to take pressure off back. raise the db's together out like you are flapping wings to fly. clear?

deadlifts: stand close to barbell, bend down, and hold the bar. (alternate grip gives more gripping power). then stand straight using your legs, hips and back. keep arms straight and back flat as possible as you lift. dont hunch your back, make sure its straight. keep the bar close to your body as you raise. there are also stiff legged dead lift which isolates lower back and works your hams. use lighter weight for these, focus on good form, only difference is keep your legs straight and bend over to grab the bar instead of bending down with your knees. clear? if not i can give pics tomorrow.

JerzeyBoy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    bent over laterals...hold db in each hand. lean over til your body is 90 degree angle. you can either stand and do this or sit and do this. i prefer to sit. bend knees slightly to take pressure off back. raise the db's together out like you are flapping wings to fly. clear?

deadlifts: stand close to barbell, bend down, and hold the bar. (alternate grip gives more gripping power). then stand straight using your legs, hips and back. keep arms straight and back flat as possible as you lift. dont hunch your back, make sure its straight. keep the bar close to your body as you raise. there are also stiff legged dead lift which isolates lower back and works your hams. use lighter weight for these, focus on good form, only difference is keep your legs straight and bend over to grab the bar instead of bending down with your knees. clear? if not i can give pics tomorrow.
    It is clear but if you can have pics that'll be even better.

Thanks a lot bro

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    dammit i thought stiff legged deadlifts worked the back more...? i definitely feel it in my back. When i do the regular deadlifts you described it is all in my legs. am i doing something wrong?

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerzeyBoy

Thanks a lot bro
    bent lateral raise

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can someone explain Deadlifts and Bent Laterals to me-sepiabentla%7E1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by JerzeyBoy

Thanks a lot bro
    Deadlifts

1. 2. 3. 4.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can someone explain Deadlifts and Bent Laterals to me-deadlift-3.jpg   Can someone explain Deadlifts and Bent Laterals to me-deadlift-1.jpg   Can someone explain Deadlifts and Bent Laterals to me-deadlift-2.jpg   Can someone explain Deadlifts and Bent Laterals to me-deadlift-4.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by xtinaunasty
    dammit i thought stiff legged deadlifts worked the back more...? i definitely feel it in my back. When i do the regular deadlifts you described it is all in my legs. am i doing something wrong?
    no you're not doing anything 'wrong' per se.

SLDLs DO work the erectors/hams/glute more directly than regular DLs.

Regular DLs recruit more muscles.

i.e. It works the back as a complex moreso than SLDLs. Regular deadlifts recruit the quads; lats; traps etc. as secondary support.

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    cool, so regular deadlifts are still the best for building the UPPER back correct? I probably sound like a complete idot but I am just starting to get into actually trying to build muscle. it has always come easy to me so i never got too knitpicky about it. im going for more symmetry now though and im looking to get a good v-taper...thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by xtinaunasty
    cool, so regular deadlifts are still the best for building the UPPER back correct? I probably sound like a complete idot but I am just starting to get into actually trying to build muscle. it has always come easy to me so i never got too knitpicky about it. im going for more symmetry now though and im looking to get a good v-taper...thanks for your help
    Yes...the hip thrust action allows for the use of more weight...the biomechanics require the activation of more muscle groups..so yes it's a better overall mass builder

Impitious is offline Junior Member
    First off, I have to comment on that scrawny Asian guy doing 405...

Secondly, I do a variation of deadlifts which once I started doing, I never went back to the regular way.

I had to drop my weight when I did it in order to do it correctly. What you do is you flare you lats out and bend your elbows slightly to keep the pressure on your lats. Then, you simply do the deadlift as you would normally but continue to hold your arms in that position with your lats spread out.
    I never really felt much with deadlifts but now that I do it this way, I get an amazing pump and burn that I never got before.

Thread Information