SUPERDAVE is offline Banned

Im tall...sumo or conventional deads?

I love deadlifting. I do both conventional and sumo. I love conventional because i can much more weight than i can using deadlift? I am 6'2" so its difficult for me to get that far down. Anyone else have this problem? Should i continue pounding out the heavy reps with conventional or work on sumo?

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    it all depends on how it feels to you bro
    if you do conv and too tall you will tend to put too much on lower back as butt will come up first
    sumo would keep lower back out of it but conv will make you thicker in your back(if size is what you want) and sumo works more hips
    some people have grip problems with sumo though
    try 1 workout conv then try 1 sumo---which 1 hurts lower back less and you get a better feel is the one i would do

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    First of all most of the best deadlfiters ever have been tall guys. the type of pull you use has a lot to do with your body stucture.
    Also what are your goals if you're looking to get into powerlifting then it's a worthwhile debate but if you're just looking to BB and put on size then just stay with the conventional method. Sumo style is used to maximize leverage (just as a power style squat) to move more weight and transfer the weight to the stronger more powerfull muscles (hams, glutes, hips, back ect..) In general if you're looking for some good deadlifting tips to help you out check out www.testosterone.net/articles/194dead.html
    lots of good tips good luck

xxxl83

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    xxx183 is right the builds on good deadlifters are tall with long arms but their benches usually suck
    unless they are one of the freaks who can do it all usually a person is only really good with 2 of 3 lifts but some has it all

03733+$ is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by xxxl83
    www.testosterone.net/articles/194dead.html

xxxl83
    This is excellent info! great link!!!

Thanks xxxl83

lionman is offline New Member
    Experiment with both and see which one you like.. I pull700+ conventional, but can't come near that in sumo, feels like my groin is gonna drop out.........

Thread Information