litlmilano is offline Female Member

Question Cardio after work out?

Hello newbie here. I am currently training to compete in a figure competiton next Spring 2006. My goal is to gain lean muscle mass. I currently weigh 114lbs and my hieght is 5'2". I feel that my upper body is more developed than my lower. I work out 4x a week doing weight training for 1hr and cardio(immediatley after wieghts) for 30mins 3x week with a protein shake inbetween. Please give your advice if I am on the right track thanks.

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    r u a female?

yes I am.

Darkness is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by legobricks
    r u a female?
    Does it make any difference? Or are you going to discriminate?

Anyways, try to do your cardio first thing in the morning and then workout in the afternoon. Maybe you can go for a jog in the morning just before breakfast. The reason is that cardio right after weight lifting is not the best to build muscle. Your body should have some rest right after lifting weights.

Well some more guys will come here with good probably better advice than this but hope it helps.

Good luck.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness
    Does it make any difference? Or are you going to discriminate?
    I think the reason for asking was the fact that she's only 114lbs and 5'2. I can't imagine that being a guy after ten years of lifting!!

Cardio after weights isn't a problem if you take a longish break. You have to replenish some protein and glutamine after the weights and try to raise your blood glucose level before the cardio, which you already do..

Bare in mind that the cardio will increase cortisol levels which inhibits muscle growth which would otherwise take place after the weights.

Could do cardio in the morning and then weights in the evening, or vice versa.

Thanks for the advice.

Thread Information