MrLust is offline New Member

Catabolic Cardio

Alright,

Is catabolism muscle-specific? For instance, if you were on an arms day, and you started your day by doing 45 minutes of cardio on the eliptical machine, would your arm muscles still hit catabolism even though you haven't touched them with cardio?

I just don't understand how muscles you haven't worked can use up their energy stores... newbie question

- J

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Catabolism isn't muscle-specific as you outlined..it's systemic.

Here: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...d?OpenDocument

Catabolism + Anabolism= Metabolism

It's a continual process.

Glycogen storage is systemic ('cept for the supercompensation post-training)...and aerobic-depletion is sytemic.

If you reduce your muscle glycogen prior to training (by doing 45 mins of cardio beforehand)...your body'll still be using glucose as fuel...

Where will it get it from? Your muscles...

When your muscle glycogen is depleted...where will the glucose come from?

Again...Your muscles...but not tru the preferred mechanism...Rather, tru the catabolism of muscle tissue--> to (glucogenic) amino acids--> to glucose.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Muscle glycogen is local, it can only be used by that particular muscle and glycogen is used by the muscle all day, whether you are working out or not. The issue of where does the body get amino's for gluconeogenesis, that's a good question and i suspect that it does not focus on anyone particular body part but rather you will be using amino's from all available sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    The issue of where does the body get amino's for gluconeogenesis, that's a good question and i suspect that it does not focus on anyone particular body part but rather you will be using amino's from all available sources.
    yup...

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Nark, nice avatar.....Looking good in those tights bro.....i like the purple!

Abstract owned my ass yet again...so i decided not to change it lol

Thanks guys

As always, great people and excellent information around here... thanks much.

Whats the best way to warm-up pre-workout? A short bit of cardio (10 mins), or just doing light sets?

Dalton5 is offline Associate Member
    I dont mean to hijack here, but I was wondering the same thing, also, when does cardio become catabolic? HIIT traing vs. slow steady pace?

Hey

From what I understand, the higher your heart rate, the more carbs you burn instead of fat. Optimum fat burning is 60-70% of max heart rate. Go higher, and you burn through carbs, and once those are gone, and start ripping into muscle.

I've been doing 45 minutes of cardio at 60-70% (sometimes 80% by accident, damn eliptical), and calling it then, because most here say thats good, and any more would hit the dreaded cata.

Thread Information