D9S0M is offline Associate Member

Behind the neck press

Wats up everyone i was just wondering wat everyones take was on behind neck presses...ive read ppl say there harsh on the shoulders and others swear by them,so i gave them a shot today and i love them,they felt really GOOD...so i was just wondering wat everyone else thought of them?? if anyone has them in there shoulder routine..

Impitious is offline Junior Member
    My neck and shoulders have been sore lately and I had no clue why.
    I thought it was my pillow...

I was at the gym yesterday and my friend who has been lifting for years yelled at me for doing a behind the neck press saying that it puts a lot of strain on your neck and your spine.

I'm going to stop doing them and see if that helps get rid of the pain.

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    I had been doing btn press forever. I was getting 275 for 6-8, however, my shoulders were always fukked up. Anyway, no more btn anything, including pulldowns.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I spoke with a physical therapist and she said that as long as there is no pain during the movement and post-workout, you can perform the exercise. Not many individuals can perform this exercise pain-free. It kills my shoulders, so I stay away from them. You can really put up some massive weight on this exercise, though. I love them but my shoulders hate them.

Impitious is offline Junior Member
    I'm gonna stick to the traditional military press and lat pull downs instead of having a chance to damage my shoulders more than they already are...

D9S0M is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    I spoke with a physical therapist and she said that as long as there is no pain during the movement and post-workout, you can perform the exercise. Not many individuals can perform this exercise pain-free. It kills my shoulders, so I stay away from them. You can really put up some massive weight on this exercise, though. I love them but my shoulders hate them.
    No pain,it was a good pump...nice burn...

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    its easy to hurt yourself doing them with too much weight or not good form. id prefer not doing the myself than the chance that i may do one with not perfect form and tweak my neck or something.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    i do them, but carefully, meaning i only lower my upper arms to parallel with the floor or slightly below, and i don't let the weight go sloppy at all- it has to be in a strict up and down plane.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I like 'em..and behind the neck chins.

It's about finding the correct 'groove' and not deviating from it.

I found this by rotating my elbows foward...this keeps my my wrist and shoulders in line. This, i feel, is the correct biomechanical groove.

I've been doing BNP since i started training...and that was 8 years ago

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I like 'em..and behind the neck chins.

It's about finding the correct 'groove' and not deviating from it.

I found this by rotating my elbows foward...this keeps my my wrist and shoulders in line. This, i feel, is the correct biomechanical groove.

I've been doing BNP since i started training...and that was 8 years ago
    Yes, its all about the configuration of the shoulders. You must find the correct degree of external/internal rotation and pull/push in a straight line for each rep. For me personally, I cannot do either of these exercises as my shoulders feel tight, like they cannot flex upwards enough to allow me to get into the BTN position.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    i like seated BTN, i warm up, stretch them. and seated BHN presses are my first and heaviest exercise. my shoulders have no problems and ive used seated BHP now since high school. i am sronger in seated BNP then in front seated military presses. good luck

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Impitious
    My neck and shoulders have been sore lately and I had no clue why.
    I thought it was my pillow...

I was at the gym yesterday and my friend who has been lifting for years yelled at me for doing a behind the neck press saying that it puts a lot of strain on your neck and your spine.

I'm going to stop doing them and see if that helps get rid of the pain.

good for your friend.. behind the neck pull downs, and presses lead to rotor cuff issues..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

singern is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    good for your friend.. behind the neck pull downs, and presses lead to rotor cuff issues..

Agreed, I learned the hard way, now I never do any movement behind the neck.

Thread Information