PorkChop is offline New Member

Powerlifters and strong bodybuilders please read and post!

Hey guys I am new here, maybe too new to start my own thread! But i am into powerlifting but do not really have a clue of what i am doing. So i am learning as we speak. I just wanna know who lifts what in the big three squat, bench, and deadlift. And kinda what got your strength to where it is today.

I know Tapout is an accomplished powerlifter, and he said Juice Junkie had a good squat, just curious to who lifts what. Now i warn you guys i am on a quest to learn this sport, so i am gonna ask some questions!

I am
    22yr old
    178lb
    squat 440 in a meet
    bench 365 in a meet
    deadlift 485 in a meet

Dont laugh they will go up soon!

By the way Tapout i noticed you said you were 80% powerlifter and 20% bodybuilder, what does this mean? Is it competitions? Or just training? Should i do this as well? I dont mean to ask YOU so much more then i do others but since you said you train with some big time powerlifters i thought you would be very helpful with your knowledge. So what do you guys lift?

CrazyRussian is offline Associate Member
    I would like to get into powerlifting, I have always been strong, but I dont know where meets are or anything like that, but here are my big 3.....

im 195 pounds at 19 years old
    squat 545
    bench 410
    deadlift 455 (i dont do much of this cause im a sprinter and it isnt a real fast twitch motion)

so if anybody knows where i can get started in this let me know, like a website with competitions, especially because summer is coming up

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Porkchop those #'s are pretty good 365@178 not bad.

Right now I'm nursing a sprained knee so my squat training has been nonexistant for the past 4 weeks my leg is turning to jello but when the doc. gives me the green light I'll be back in top form within a couple of weeks.

as my #'s go before the injury; at 235 lbs

Squat = 645
    Deadlift= 625
    bench = 440
    all those #'s are raw (no equiptment)

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Well my tested Max #'s in April of 2001 (haven't maxed out since then)

I am 6ft 2 @ 225 lbs

Squat = 305
    Bench = 180
    Deadlift = 385

I'm a weak piece of shit I guess, but I still know what I am doing.

Canes you gotta start somewhere keep with it, it will all come together
    for you.
    Train hard, eat hard, rest easy!!!

xxxl83

NightOp is offline Member
    Read the westside thread

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    pork chop i dont mind answering questions at all
    right now i have a 445 bench,550 for 3 squat,and did 405 for 5 deads.
    i am just sore latley and not lifting any heavier for awhile---i have been getting back into ju jitsu training again to try to looen up
    right now i weigh 242 at 5-10

no bro i dont do bb comptitions i mean 20%bb training---which means a few exercises each week for muscle looks.
    i had some big goals this year for my 3 lift but 1 injury after another has really stalled them.
    i have been helping my partners more lately than hitting it hard myself(low back and mainly right elbow---its clicking and so painful when bench i bring weight down and dont want to push up---also squat kills it)
    your lifts for your weight are very impressive you are on the right track
    crazy russian and xxx183 also very impressive llifts

the guys i train with are major west side advocates
    one (freak 19 on another board) is 19 and squats 765,deads 660(set world teen record) and benches right at 500
    one is sub master and squats 765,deads close to 700 and 545 bench monday
    the other is 242 class and squats 805,dead sucks at under 600(grip problems) but benches 620---he is planning on setting world record in 240 class- record is 655 he is close
    i first started powerlifting in 1989 area and trained with a guy(stump was his nick name) who was 212 and squating 875(did it in gym would have been record at time but then blew out 2 discs) and learnt alot from him

hopefully i can get over these injuries and pains and put big numbers up again ---but if not then i was there,still have contacts,and can train ju jitsu hard

be happy to answer any questions bro good luck

Originally posted by xxxl83
    Canes you gotta start somewhere keep with it, it will all come together
    for you.
    Train hard, eat hard, rest easy!!!

xxxl83
    Thanks bro, I knew you guys wouldn't make fun of me.

Originally posted by Tapout
    crazy russian and xxx183 also very impressive llifts
    Notcie he was nice and at least didn't make fun of my lifts

Tapout the elbow injury maybe tendonitis. It may have been caused from squating try to hold the bar as wide as possible it may help out also don't squat for too many reps per set. If you already do these things disreguard injuries suck I hate to see people go through things like that esspecially dedicated people trying to reach there goals.
    good luck,

xxxl83

lionman is offline New Member
    Pork, been powerlifting about 5 years now.. Once I started I got hooked... 6-02, weight goes between 280-300.... occasionally I go into the 275's...... best lifts are 750SQ..... 600BP...700DL.... The thing you need to ask alot of powerlifters out there to see where they stand is how the "rank" so to speak.... "Elite" is the highest you can get.. " Have you totaled Elite".. You can find these charts on some of westside's sites................

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    canes no one around here is going to pick on you -you are to knowledgeable
    thanks xxx183 i know it is tendonitis--i hold bar wide but its the pressing that kills it thanks for the good wishes though
    lionman is right about rank---im not sure of teens ranks but the other 2 will be close to a 2000lb total and 1850 area in 242 class is elite---j as i will call him is ranked in top 10(i believe or will be if gets this lift) in 242 class--he holds state of fla record now
    lion--great lifts

Originally posted by Tapout
    canes no one around here is going to pick on you -you are to knowledgeable
    Thanks bro, I try my hardest. I started in the iron game at a late age (38) and don't probably have the best genetics to lift heavy.

But you know what makes Powerlifting so amazing, is that even if you are not at a competitive level against other lifters, you still have the chance to compete against yourself at every meet, and out-total your last meet total. That makes Powerlifting my game, instead of bodybuilding (which I also have sucky genes for )

PorkChop is offline New Member
    This sport requires time hangin and bangin! You hang around it long enugh you have to get stronger. I di a 485 deadlift in my meet and lastnight did a 520lb dead. Of course i could pull over 500 at the meet but i couldnt get it movinonmy 3rd attempt. So see i am already gettin stronger. Some of you guys though....dam you are very strong. The kind of strength i cant relate to yet. Thanks for the reply's though its good to se people who love this game like i do.

Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    Pork Chop i don't know wher eyoucome from but those numbers are pretty impressive. same for everyone. Yeah canes as long as your pushing yourself It'll come. screw what other people think. You gotta follow what you otld me. Never maxe dout on legs or deadlifts since i really just started to do them now. Bnech i use dumbels but i am guessing i could get the 80's up.

Thread Information