Tommy Gunn is offline Member

Does anyone here do deadlifts LAST in the their workout instead of the very begining?

Does anyone here do deadlifts LAST in the their workout instead of the very begining?

Right now here is my back workout:

After stretching out, I run on the treadmill for 10 minutes at a good pace to get warmed up and get my heart rate going, than I do:

Deadlifts 4x5
    Seated cable rows 12,10,8,6
    Close grip lat pulldowns 12,10,8,6
    Wide grip lat pulldowns 12,10,8,6
    Incline hammer curls 12,10,8,6
    Straight bar preacher curls 12,10,8,6

*Every set I increase the weight and for the last set I go to failure which usually turns out to be the desired number of reps.

Than I slam my PWO shake, stretch out, and get the hell outta there.

My problem is, after deads the rest of my workout is crap because the deads zap all my energy. I feel like I'm really short changing my back, lats and bis because of this.

So I was thinking of putting deads last instead of first. I want to do this for 3 reasons:

1) I will be fresh now to do the exercises for my back, lats, and bis. Now I will see results and gains in those areas.

2) My body will be better warmed now up to do deadlifts because I have already done exercises for my back, lats, and bis. I will have already broken a sweat and my body will be warmed up. So this may help to prevent injury.

3) Now when it comes time for deadlifts, I can go balls to the wall, because I know after this exercise, the battle for the day is over and I'm going home to eat and sleep.

Does anyone here do this or is this a foolish idea I'm thinking?

In case it matters I'm all natural (not even creatine). The only supps I take is multi vitamin and vitamin c caps, whey+dex PWO, and slow acting protein blend (Micellean)+flax oil at bedtime. I'm 25 6' 230 with some body fat.

I could really use some advice on this fellas.
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 11-06-2005 at 06:58 PM.

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    i used to do the same thing, do my deads first. but now its my last exercise on back day. i also only do them every other back day. i think i was over traing my back for a while.

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    right now i do them second after wide grip weighted chins

Impitious is offline Junior Member
    I do my deads second to last. After I'm done with them, I throw in one more back workout to really finish myself off.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Deads first because they take the greatest amount of energy and therefore the best results will be achieved doing them at the beginning. Then I follow with underhand rows then weighted pullups.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Deads first because they take the greatest amount of energy and therefore the best results will be achieved doing them at the beginning. Then I follow with underhand rows then weighted pullups.
    Ditto.

To the original poster:

If you're 'sapped' why not cut down on your overall workload?

i.e. do one exercise for lower back: deads (tho deads arguably work the majority of the back-complex muscles); one for upper-middle musculature: some type of (unsupported) row; and one for 'Lat-width': a pull-up/pull-down of some sort.

And switch bis over to another day.

If you still don't have the energy to complete a session...look to your diet for answers

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I personally wouldn't place deadlifts any further than 2nd in my workout.

Imo...doing any other 'bent-over' back exercise prior to deads would fatigue my erectors...and put me at risk for injury during deads..due to core instability

I do them last for the exact same reason as you said....I know I can go home after...

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I don't see the point of stretching and then getting on the treadmill. Cold static stretching doesn't do a whole lot.

singern is offline Banned
    I do them first, but warm up with chins/pullups is a must for me.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I have done them last for periods and Im just as charged and strong like if I do them first. But I prefer doing them first anyway.

tretch187 is offline Associate Member
    I don't think that if you are whiped that means you need to look at anything. I think it just means you did deads properly :P

To me, they stay last, because if you are doing them right.... you don't want to do anything else afterwards.

I would much rather feel "whiped" after deads, squats, are another large compound movement than saving up my energy to "blast my bis" all day

Jake

Thread Information