bigwillster is offline Associate Member

Are pushups everyday okay or not enough rest?

What do you guys think about doing pushups everyday? Let's say I do my chest @ the gym on Mon. Tues-fri I do 150 pushups & sat and sun rest. Thanks

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    There is no problem with doing that

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I see no reason why not to do it

bigwillster is offline Associate Member
    Thanks guys. So you're saying that resting my chest is actually resting from heavy weights right? i was under the impression that resting meant resting from everything. thanks

Flaco is offline Associate Member
    I agree I dont think pushups would tax the muscle that much..

NightOp is offline Member
    Anyone know what type of muscle fibers the chest is mostly made of? What would be the benefits of so many pushups... muscle endurance/density? I would like to increase the strength and density of my chest but don't really want to gain any more size.. I know a rep count under 5 is ideal for strength... I'm most likely going to try the westside routine, but I'm afraid it will add more mass to my chest.. any info/suggestions?

Commander_Bash is offline Junior Member
    this is a good thread i was thinking of doing pushups like a few times a week on top of my weekly chest routine that i do on monday.....But arent you not letting your muscle repair if your tearing them up everyday? you sure its not over training.....i hope some more people can answer i would like to see a lot of oppinions on this negative and positive ones....

DC24 is offline Junior Member
    I'd say it would depend on how you are doing your pushups, Keeping hands close together will work your tri's and shoulders, keeping your hands spread out will hit you chest more. I would work my pushups in on chest days at the gym. The next day I'm usually to sore to get down and knock out 150 for sets. It can be done but, I wouldn't be the one to do it. JMO

jbrand is offline Member

Re: Are pushups everyday okay or not enough rest?

Originally posted by bigwillster
    What do you guys think about doing pushups everyday? Let's say I do my chest @ the gym on Mon. Tues-fri I do 150 pushups & sat and sun rest. Thanks
    Technically (based on time under tension) what you are doing is daily cardiovascular activity.

xzoomzx is offline Associate Member
    if i do pushups every day will that help me get more cut?

Re: Re: Are pushups everyday okay or not enough rest?

Originally posted by jbrand

Technically (based on time under tension) what you are doing is daily cardiovascular activity.

I agree with you bro....doing pushups I do not think would fall under over training the muscles. But I would not do them the following day after chest.

As for the muscle fibers in the chest, all muscles have slow and fast twitch fibers (well not the heart), the main fiber is the slow twitch fibers.
    Damn it has been a long time so forgive me if i have the two mixed up..anyway doing a shit load of pushups I believe will hit more the fast twitch fibers building a harder lean look.

Hmmm i need to look this up i do not want to give out bad info as it has been to long since i have discussed this.

When I was in the USMC I worked out regularly as well as doing MANY pushups and other activities daily.

I still continued to grow but not nearly as fast as i did once I focused only on working the muscles in the gym.

IMO for optimal growth you should rest the muscles more.

Doing pushups is nice as it will get blood flow to the uper body and will help in building very solid looking muscles, but i do not feel will help with gaining size.

now as for strength i will say this. I do feel they can greatly increase your strength if you do them slow...almost like doing isometrics ???

Follow me ???
    You can gain strength many ways other than with free weights. Basically as long as you are stressing the muscle in a slow consistant manner it will somewhat be like lifting very heavy weights....make since ???

I know of a guy that use to do ,I swear 1000 pushups per day over the course of the day, and this brother is now 50lbs away from the state record in the bench press.

All this dude does is frigin pushups..all day...everyday..slow and consistant...anyway I am way off the point here but yes i do feel you can do them without hurting your gains but i can not see how it would help build size ????

jbrand is offline Member

Re: Re: Re: Are pushups everyday okay or not enough rest?

Originally posted by PURE ADRENALINE

I agree with you bro....doing pushups I do not think would fall under over training the muscles. But I would not do them the following day after chest.

As for the muscle fibers in the chest, all muscles have slow and fast twitch fibers (well not the heart), the main fiber is the slow twitch fibers.
    Damn it has been a long time so forgive me if i have the two mixed up..anyway doing a shit load of pushups I believe will hit more the fast twitch fibers building a harder lean look.

Hmmm i need to look this up i do not want to give out bad info as it has been to long since i have discussed this.

When I was in the USMC I worked out regularly as well as doing MANY pushups and other activities daily.

I still continued to grow but not nearly as fast as i did once I focused only on working the muscles in the gym.

IMO for optimal growth you should rest the muscles more.

Doing pushups is nice as it will get blood flow to the uper body and will help in building very solid looking muscles, but i do not feel will help with gaining size.

now as for strength i will say this. I do feel they can greatly increase your strength if you do them slow...almost like doing isometrics ???

Follow me ???
    You can gain strength many ways other than with free weights. Basically as long as you are stressing the muscle in a slow consistant manner it will somewhat be like lifting very heavy weights....make since ???

I know of a guy that use to do ,I swear 1000 pushups per day over the course of the day, and this brother is now 50lbs away from the state record in the bench press.

All this dude does is frigin pushups..all day...everyday..slow and consistant...anyway I am way off the point here but yes i do feel you can do them without hurting your gains but i can not see how it would help build size ????
    I agree with you 100%, good advice here. As far as fibers, you might have them confused. I'm not sure what you mean by slow twitch fibers being "more important" but I'm assuming you meant fast twitch fibers in which they are fatigued via anaerobic/strength training, while slow twitch fibers are ideal for endurance (aerobic) activity.

TryingHard is offline Yes thats me in the Avatar!!! A wanna be BB!!
    Since i am in the Army i do about 1000 pushups a week,, does not effect my chest workout at all........Rangers lead the way

captain chet is offline Junior Member
    I know this is a blast from the past, but i was going to post this same question and i used the search to find this one.

Now that its been over over 3 years since this last post, any new information would be greatly appreciated. Id like to work on my chest as its my weakest body part, strength and size wise, and was wondering if daily or EOD pushups would be a good way to gain strength and size, along with my workouts. Or if this would just hinder chest growth, Thanks!

+2

Flexor is offline Banned
    IMO, I think pressups would be a cardio workout if you did them quickly and just pumped hundreds.

They might add mass if you did them slowly to increase the eccentric portion, but there is not enough mass generally speaking to stimulate growth, of course depending on what is your muscle composition of fibres. Why emphasise the eccentric on pushups though when you can do it on all other higher mass exercsises?

My chest is also lacking, my shoulders dwarf it, but I think the only way to go is dips with your elbows perpendicular to your body and do all the usual benchpresses including decline/incline/close grip etc.

Also try some isolations if you don't already, like pec flyes, but again try to make the eccentric part longer and really allow the weights to stretch your chest muscles so they feel like they are going to jump off your body. Its called Loaded Passive Stretching, at the bottom of the fly movement.

Pushups are fun, so I just keep doing them at the end of workouts so they are good for a pump, but I think i'll get the mass from the other exercises that I named. Thing is, everybody is different...

zuke is offline Member
    i would stick to eod at the most... i work out chest one day a week (monday)at the gym and do one pushup workout a week (thursday, after my leg workout).

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    when doing a pushup..you are pushing 60% of ur weight..calculate that...if u are 100Kg(220lbs)..thats 132lb you are pushing...would u like to do 132lb bench presses ED??If yes..then go ahead

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I'd have to say NO.

If you find yourself able/wanting to do push-ups everyday, then re-evaluate your chest workout.

~SC~

Thread Information