superfat73 is offline Associate Member

train bis hard but never sore

I read swolecats theory on hitting smaller muscles with their corresponding larger parts. I did back really hard the other day, 12 sets(3dead, 3bent overs, 3tbar, 3 chins) and was super sore. I finished off with 6 hardcore sets of bis 3 sets of hammers followed by 3 sets of preacher 6-8 reps.) Wasnt sore in bis ? Not only that when I trained bis with tris on their own day, bis wouldnt get sore, but tris would. Have the same problem with shoulders but to a lesser degree. I getsuper sore the following day from all other body parts except bis and shoulders, what gives?

chest6 is offline Banned
    soreness does not necessarily mean hypertrophy will not occur

im calling you

chest6 is offline Banned
    still waitin mutha fvcka

Flexor is offline Banned
    I do pretty much the same workout as you and if my biceps aren't sore enough, I add one or two of these things in. You've got to keep the biceps sore by changing things one at a time.

1.) Add more time to the eccentric lowering
    2.) Add an Extended Peak Contraction on the last rep of each set
    3.) Incline dumbell curls!!!! They pre-stretch the bis and are guaranteed to make you ache if you've never done them.
    4.) Lift explosively at the bottom of each rep but slow as you reach the top so that you don't take all the pressure off the bis using momentum.

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    I do 20+ sets for curls. from 25lbs to 135lbs. And i do as many reps as i can. this means til i cant move the weight anymore. And anytime the weight only goes half way up, i hold it. I dont put it down and say that was my set. I hold it until my arms start to fall and i cant feel them falling. Then i'll try two more reps. and thats a set.

You could try maybe doing them slower and do more concentrated curls.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SnaX
    I do 20+ sets for curls. from 25lbs to 135lbs. And i do as many reps as i can. this means til i cant move the weight anymore. And anytime the weight only goes half way up, i hold it. I dont put it down and say that was my set. I hold it until my arms start to fall and i cant feel them falling. Then i'll try two more reps. and thats a set.

You could try maybe doing them slower and do more concentrated curls.
    I'm surprised you get any results with this much overtraining...20+ sets with all that isometric holding will overload the muscle and I wouldn't be surprised if you get the shakes due to taxing your CNS too much.

6-8 sets at full intensity is all that is needed. The point isn't to keep lifting until you can't lift anymore!! If everyone did that they would be at the gym all day every day, because there is always enough energy to lift a weight even if it is a feather.

With what you are doing you will be getting a MAJOR cortisol spike that will inhibit muscle growth!!!

i just think its wierd, bi's rarely get sore and they so happen to be my weak point

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    i think overtraining is overated, as long as u leave 7 days between training sessions, even if u do 40 sets per bodypart, it still shudnt be an issue - tho dont do this of course!

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    Quote Originally Posted by superfat73
    i just think its wierd, bi's rarely get sore and they so happen to be my weak point
    My bis rarely get sore either, but usually if i add in a hard drop set or giant set at the end of an exercise, it gets the job done - if u want to avoid increasing volume, then up the intensity!

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    soreness does not necessarily mean hypertrophy will not occur
    ditto..soreness is not an adequate gauge

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I'd advise you check your form...

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    im the same as you....my bi's are the only bodypart that hardly ever get sore, but they still grow so i dont know what the deal is...maybe because they recover the fastest

tod682 is offline Associate Member
    gaurunteed soreness

whoever posted it many years ago thanks and sorry but i dont remember ur name to credit u for it

I was unable to get my arms above 19.5 for a while. This is what I did. To make your arm's grow you must first visualize what you want them to look like. Cut rest time between sets to no more than 20 to 30 seconds. This is a twenty minute workout that will leave your arms barking when done. First warm up with sitting alternate curls...hold when coming up for three seconds...do 12 to 15 with easy to medium weight. Immedietly go to standing barbelle curls. This is also a light to medium warm up set...10 to 12 with a three second negative(if you cannot do a 3 second negative it is to heavy)...go to preacher curls and do tha same thing...only difference is when you get to preacher curls...this should be loaded down with weight...5 reps max...drop 20 lbs...and do 8 reps...drop 20 lbs more and do 10 to twelve. Now keep in mind that I only rest 20 to 30 seconds in between sets...so at this point you should be breathing pretty heavily...after super setting...go to concentrated reverse grip barbell with a 3 second negative...for time purposes I just use the preacher curl bar for this with light to medium weight....then go to dumbell hammer curls with a 2 second pause at the top 10 to 12 reps...repeat all three times for three sets getting heavier each time with less reps....now for Jdog's secret mass builder...last but not least to build the peak of all peaks...go to the preacher curl and turn the pad around so that the flat part is facing away from you...this is what I do... I grab a 70, 50, 30...With arm going straight all the way down....I do 6 reps with 70 holding for 2 seconds at the top...I do 50 for 8...and then 30 for 10 to 12....then switch arms and repeat...I only do 2 sets here as by the time I'm done I want to throw up...measure your arms and in three weeks let me know how you are doing...this should put a half inch in that period of time...remember that when you get to a certain point in your genetic peak...you must take drastic measures to rise above and conquer your objective. Peace

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    remember soreness is not an indicator of growth!! throw some straight bar in and see if that helps!

so then why is it that legs, chest, and back is so easy to get sore but bis not, whats a scientific explanation

Flexor is offline Banned
    so then why is it that legs, chest, and back is so easy to get sore but bis not, whats a scientific explanation
    First of all the biceps are not the only elbow flexor. The brachialis and brachioradialis are both significantly activated during all curling movements, and therefore whatever weight you use, not all of it is being lifted using purely the biceps. This takes the stress off them and leads to less damage being caused.

Secondly, legs, chest and back are bigger muscle groups and therefore they can be worked with greater weight. These heavy compound exercises recruit more muscle fibres and cause more damage, so they ache more easily.

Thirdly, the biomechanics of the biceps is different. Leverages for standing barbell curls are poor at the top of the movement and the bones take up the tension, so the biceps are not worked hard enough. Multi-joint exercises maintain more tension in the biceps, so heavy underhand rows or yates rows and underhand or overhand chins are best for this, along with preachers. Preachers are not a pure mass building exercise though, rather a supplementary or auxilliary exercise which should be used in conjunction with compound mass exercises like the ones I described.

A fourth point, unlike all the other muscles, you cannot pre-stretch the biceps unless your upper arms are behind your back. So, lying on an incline bench and performing incline supinating dumbell curls will pre-stretch the biceps and cause more damage. Back, chest and triceps can all be stretched at the bottom of each rep which causes high levels of damage.

Whatever anyone says about soreness not being an indicator of muscle growth, its obvious to anyone that greater muscle soreness is better than no muscle soreness!!! So, why not make them sore??
    Last edited by Flexor; 11-07-2005 at 07:23 AM.

Thread Information