Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Developing a Big Bench

I am just sitting here sucking down some post workout protein after finishing some heavy presses. I wrote down some ideas I have developed while getting myself over 405 on the Flat Bench Press without a spotter... I hate spotters, they fuk me up mentally making me feel like I need help, but more on physcology later...

<135: Start with a gym membership.

135-225: Start using the gym - consistency is the biggest factor in this group. Work on developing a stronger mind-muscle connection.

225-315: Diet, rest and progressive training programs become even more critical. And you must actually bench, as in the free weight bench press. Read the Guidelines for Growth article sticky in this forum.

315-405: Dialing everything in - all your ergogenics: nutrition, supplements, straps, wraps, gear, whatever. Also work on stronger Triceps power with Close Grip Bench pressing.

>405: Aside from the above... it gets real physcological at this point. You can began a really good set - and then the next one sucks ass! You have to do whatever it takes to dial in your motivation at this point. Ignore destructive influences and people making comments like, "wow, thats a lot of weight!" If you are the biggest in your gym - it may be time to find something more hardcore... lifting around a bunch of people pushing 225 is less motivating then lifting with a lot of people pushing over 405. Start developing your prelift rituals - everyone at this point has some... a tap of the bar, shaking your head, having a partner slap you - yelling out an ol' bosses name...

Thats it... just some ideas...

Flexor is offline Banned
    And interesting read...

Close grip bench will help anyone increase their flat bench, but I agree its especially necessary to break through a plateau when using very heavy weights.

I don't have a spotter, mainly because there isn't one around since I workout at home most times. When I do go to the gym I don't bother either. Through working without one, I am better equipped to judge whether I can push out one or two more reps. There is little chance of injury since I'm only doing 165 for 8 which is pathetic, and I always warm up well.

tod682 is offline Associate Member
    nice read - makes alot of sense but do u mean by this exactly "And you must actually bench, as in the free weight bench press." just want to make sure im following 100%

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by tod682
    nice read - makes alot of sense but do u mean by this exactly "And you must actually bench, as in the free weight bench press." just want to make sure im following 100%
    I see a lot of people at the gym go through a million different machines and then complain about a weak bench. Or they are too worried about not living up to someones expectations and avoiding it at all cost. Have to start somewhere... and then work yourself up slowly and progressively from there - nothing develops overnight. Tell a group of construction workers to build you a freeway overnight and they'll laugh at the thought... great things take time and necessary steps to complete...

I know one person at my gym who calls himself a "powerlifter" yet all I see him do is the Hammer Strength Presses (the machines based on rotating pivots rather than chains)... hmm...

tod682 is offline Associate Member
    gotcha....thank you

Thread Information