bRKBEATz is offline Junior Member

Working out with a cold?

In the past, I've skipped working out when I'm sick, but this cold doesn't seem too bad and while I probably can't lift as much as usual I still think I can get a decent workout.

Is there any reason not to work out when you have a cold?

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    If I don't have a fever or am sick to my stomach I will train........ I just will not push myself as hard.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bRKBEATz
    In the past, I've skipped working out when I'm sick, but this cold doesn't seem too bad and while I probably can't lift as much as usual I still think I can get a decent workout.

You will still lift decently, that is true. The only thing is that afterwards you may feel more drained than usual and also recovery is slower because your body is trying to fight off the illness rather than repair muscle tissue.

Natural1 is offline Associate Member
    I would say to let yourself recover and take a break from the gym for a little while, technically you should to let your body recover. That being said, when I'm sick I still want to hit the weights, so like mudman said just decrease the intensity of your workouts and take it easy until you start to feel better.

JNel04 is offline Associate Member
    i'm beginning to come down w/ somethin myself and i can feel the fatigue in my body already. i kno i'm not goin to the gym today (i want to) cuz i wont be able to give it my all and fully recover like others have already said. IMO if u've been trainin hard and everythin ur not gonna lose anything if u take off while ur sick. when i get off school today i'm just gonna crash and let my body rest!

farrebarre is offline Anabolic Member
    dont workout when u have a cold, not even when ur throat is soar. coz the germs can be transported with the blood, and if u have bad luck theyll go straight to ur heart and that shit aint good, im gonna get more info on that, i just wrote a shortening of what would happen.

ok here we go, when working out ur pulse will increase and there is a risk that the germs/virus travels through the blood to ur heart and cause myokardit. i dont know how to translate it into english but it means an inflammation of the heart muscle.. and it can be deadly.

I always train when I'm sick....I actually am right now, worked out yesterday and today I napped for 4 hours lol. It really drains the sh!t outta me but I could care less; I'd take exhaustion and pain over losing gains in any way.

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farrebarre
    dont workout when u have a cold, not even when ur throat is soar. coz the germs can be transported with the blood, and if u have bad luck theyll go straight to ur heart and that shit aint good, im gonna get more info on that, i just wrote a shortening of what would happen.
    Um, do you have any links to prove this. I never heard this before, and would like to read more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 305GUY
    Um, do you have any links to prove this. I never heard this before, and would like to read more about it.
    yeah sure thing, im just gonna find it in english, but if u know swedish i could give u the link right now.
    ps. im not sure if 'myokardit' is in english or swedish..

Lol. dont know swedish.

aight, then im still looking, couldnt find anything on english.. but i did find out something else, when u catch a cold, is it caused by germs or virus?..coz myokardit is often caused by a virus its very rare that germs could be the cause of mykardit..

Lol. dont know swedish.
    very sorry dude, couldnt fins ANYTHING at all in english, but i found out something, that yahoo, google and altavista only find swedish sites here hmhm..

anyway if u would search for myokardit, perikardit you would probably find tons of info in english, hey could you post it in this thread if u find anything?

yeah i'll try searching. I have a slight cold right now and am taking clen , and need to work out today. So your post kind of scared the shit out of me. Dont want to have a heart attack. thanks anyways.

didnt mean to scare u guys, thats just a worst case scenario.

no problemo, just looking out for my bros on AR

Quote Originally Posted by farrebarre
    didnt mean to scare u guys, thats just a worst case scenario.

no problemo, just looking out for my bros on AR
    i didnt mean u literally scared me. lol. i guess i should have put in my last post.

i didnt mean u literally scared me. lol. i guess i should have put in my last post.
    lol i guess im just slow

NYGIANTS21 is offline Senior Member
    If you are really sick please don't go I don't want that shi*

ward065 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bRKBEATz

imho, it's a waste of time to workout when you are sick when you could be recovering. I've worked out when sick before- twice- and both times, i got much sicker afterwards. Working out when sick, even if not that bad, for me anyways only has made a bad condition worsen- and then force me out of the gym even longer. You are not going to atrophy when you are sick, if you are getting in enough food- not necessiarly a ton of food, but enough to maintain weight (not as much also because you are inactive)

ward065 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jugo Buen0
    I always train when I'm sick....I actually am right now, worked out yesterday and today I napped for 4 hours lol. It really drains the sh!t outta me but I could care less; I'd take exhaustion and pain over losing gains in any way.
    i've taken 2 weeks off from working out in the past and didn't lose strength

i really doubt skipping a few workouts when you are sick would cause your muscles to atrophy...... provided you are eating enough to maintain your weight (Which can be hard if you are extremely sick)

it's ultimately your choice though, but consider that your immune system is weakened when you are sick, if you go and train you can worsenn your condition even more...

Thread Information