skribbble is offline Member

Question about fast twitch and slow twitch muscles?

I train for explosion and stuff all year round since i play college ball. I started doing some cardio to cut the bodyfat a little. For cardio im walking on an incline about 6% incline at about 3.3 miles per hour, for about 30 minutes. I work up a good sweat with hoodie and pants on and i was wondering if this is training my slow twitch muscles at all? Or is walking too common to really do any damage? I read that you can do cardio 2 times a week and not have to worry abotu slow twitch muscle production but i want to walk 5 days a week so i can just get lean as hell. Let me know waht you guys think

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    as long as you're not completly depleting your glycogen stores you can exercise @ any intensity and not worry about losing muscle mass, so why not up the intenstiy?

you're not training slow or fast twitch fibers, you're just burning calories.

Working out in a suit, to specifically sweat does nothing more to help drop body fat. Just making it harder on your body to replenish it's hydration level.
    Why would you not want to stay as cool as possible when working out, unless trying to mimic game conditions.

You're not going to produce slow twitch muscle fibers from walking, i don't know who gave you this misconception.

Walk, run, ride your azz off, you're not going to lose your explosiveness. If your H/R doesnt go above apprx 65% of your max you're not even going to be using any glycogen for energy. Most people have roughly 45 minutes of glycogen stores that is able to be used during exercise. Elite well trained athlets can have up to 70 minutes, before haveing to rely on fat and muscle to metabolize for energy

So in turn, kick it up a notch and dont worry bout it.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Good post Mealticket, right on the money

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    clap clap for mealticket

skribbble is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mealticket
    as long as you're not completly depleting your glycogen stores you can exercise @ any intensity and not worry about losing muscle mass, so why not up the intenstiy?

you're not training slow or fast twitch fibers, you're just burning calories.

Working out in a suit, to specifically sweat does nothing more to help drop body fat. Just making it harder on your body to replenish it's hydration level.
    Why would you not want to stay as cool as possible when working out, unless trying to mimic game conditions.

You're not going to produce slow twitch muscle fibers from walking, i don't know who gave you this misconception.

Walk, run, ride your azz off, you're not going to lose your explosiveness. If your H/R doesnt go above apprx 65% of your max you're not even going to be using any glycogen for energy. Most people have roughly 45 minutes of glycogen stores that is able to be used during exercise. Elite well trained athlets can have up to 70 minutes, before haveing to rely on fat and muscle to metabolize for energy

So in turn, kick it up a notch and dont worry bout it.
    exactly what iw as looking for. I know you dont drop body fat by wearing a suit it just makes me feel like im actually doing something and helps me warm up my body for the day. So if im sweating while walking is the intensity too much?

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    Thats all realative to how in shape you are.
    I train aroud 15 hours a week, i'm very very well conditioned. Yet 'll start to sweat on my forhead if i walk up 3-4 flights of stairs, but i have a really high core body temp. I get hot very easily, i like it about 55 in my room when i sleep.
    I radiate heat. In the winter when i go ride outside, unless it's below 40, i don't need gloves, and that riding for 2-3 hours @ 20mph. My body is just super efficent 2 producing heat.

SO i cant really answer your question.
    My max h/r is 217 BPM
    My L/T is approx @ 177 BPM
    But i'll start sweating like a pig during my warmup when my Hr is @ 130 and my intensity is @ a 1 (1-10)
    Everyone is differnt

Thread Information