kaorialfred is offline Member

Hammer Strength machines?

I got a question for some of you, Are Hammer strength machines any good?

I am working some place now and they have them. I never have used them. Most of the old times there say they are the best. U can do one side at time.

I have only experience with Cybex machines and Free weights.

Also is the weight the same as a Flat bench HS compared to a Flat bench barbell bench press.

I did 4 plates on each side today on the flat bench
    I did it once. I did 3 plates on each 2 sets of 8 then put the other 45lb on.

I am like Holly cow I did 405?

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    I like HS machines. I use them at the end of my workout where i can just focus on pushing the wight, instead of worrying about balance. And no, the weight is not the same on the BP.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    They are better than the traditional machines (and that retarded Smith Machine) but should never be used as the bread and butter to a workout - free weights should be used when you are fresh and ready to push some serious iron. Use them as a supporting movement...

I remember when Hammer Strength first started to show up in the gyms. It was a refreshing alternative to the Nautilous and Smith Machines that use the chains... they give a much better approach to working the muscle IMO, and a better pump.

The big thing when using something with a fixed range of motion is to ignore that little instruction card (or simply use it as a starting point) and position the seat so that you ahave a comfortable/effective range of motion for your structure that does not feel akward or cause any pain... everyones different... different arm length... different torso size... different leg length... Get a couple warm ups in to find the right position then load 'er up!

kaorialfred is offline Member
    damm it I thought I was strong!!!!
    big diffrence eh?
    Yeah I would never try 8 45lb plates by myself.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by kaorialfred
    damm it I thought I was strong!!!!
    big diffrence eh?
    Yeah I would never try 8 45lb plates by myself.
    Ask someone at the gym how much the weight is when there is no plates on the Hammer machine. An empty barbell is 45lbs. Add up the weights and then factor in that the machine stabilizes the weight for you (making it easier).

i've heard a few times dexter jackson uses them to mix it up every once in a while... Regardless though, the benefits of free weights will always outweigh that of a machine(unless you're really old and just want to maintain your strength without risk of injury).

Thread Information