Girlyman is offline Associate Member

Can you gain weight while cutting?

What if you are trading fat for muscle on your cut diet and the scale goes up a little? Or by definition is a cutting diet one in which you have a slight kcal deficit? Is it possible to bulk and lose fat at the same time?

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Of course you can

What kind of weight?

Now THAT's the question

the kind you got!

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    typically u dont gain muscle weight when cutting because carbs and cal's are lowered. if ur just beginning weight lifting then yes u can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time...

Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman
    the kind you got!
    Not naturally...

chest6 is offline Banned
    I seem to be getting fatter doing cardio 5-6 times a week and keeping the same diet i previously was successful on until now..dunno maybe its all in my head

I'm trying to get a good workout plan dialed here. I worked out last summer for the first time (first time with knowledge that is) managed to pack 17 or so pounds on over 9-10 weeks (my previous 9 month weight lifting attempt with no nutrition left me with a 1 pound gain, that was two years ago) I'm 163.5 right now and my goal weight is 175 (ripped low bodfat%) I'm getting Bod Pod tested for an ESSF class tommarow morning, so I'll finally get to know my bf% for the first time (im a little too excited about this) Once I learn my bodyfat% I'm gonna cut untill there isn't any visible fat on my body, then try to start a bulker. This will be my first time in my life cutting aswell, since I'm a hard gainer.

My biggest fear is I will be skiing competitively this winter 4-5 hours/day 4-5 days a week, and I fear that all that cardio is gonna shrink me no matter how much I eat. Someone calm my fears or point me in a good direction to get started, I really appreicate the input from all you BB vets. Any specific or overall advice to lead me in the right direction for my situation would help. I have read all the stickies and I read as much as I can on here but the diets don't apply to me since I'm celiac (cant eat grains[wheat,oats,exc) and there really isn't any information on trying to pack on muscle while being a competitive athlete. I know it's possible since the olympic downhill racers are all horses.

Ok guys the verdict is in I'm 13%bf at 5'10" 155.6lbs. Do you guys think I should shred all my fat before starting a bulker? like I said I wanna be 175 Lean. Right now I have 20lbs of fat so my lean weight is 133lbs. I want to get my lean weight up to about 170. So I need to pack 40lbs of muscle on. Do yo think I should continue to cut untill I get my BF real low, or should I just start bulking and worry about the fat later?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    At 133 lbs. of lean weight, you need to BULK!!!

Attaining muscle will burn off the fat you have, just keep your diet sensible.

I'd never cut at 155, no............

~SC~

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Gaining muscle while in a caloric deficit is not possible, to make muscle you need extra building blocks. Which are not present during cutting, because when cutting you are taking away those builiding blocks so taht the body will use stored fat to make up for the energy deficit. Now when using AAS, well thats a different ball game. Even then don't expect much muscle, to build muscle you need to eat.

Ok thanks fellers, so I need to come up with a bulking diet. I'm going to re-read the stickies and come up with a diet then post it. I've noticed since I have been not eating carbs the last two days (just pro fat meals) I look a lot more cut, anyone else notice this? I'm scared to go on a bulker eating carbs all day and looking bloated n fat.

Ok I re-read the stickies and I'm still a bit confused. Would swolecat or another respected E-trainer personalize a diet for my specific situation do you think? I am a celiac (can't eat grains), I have no choice but to do 25-30hours of cardio a week, and I'm looking to pack on some mass? Or do you think they would charge a lot extra for something like that?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Ok thanks fellers, so I need to come up with a bulking diet. I'm going to re-read the stickies and come up with a diet then post it. I've noticed since I have been not eating carbs the last two days (just pro fat meals) I look a lot more cut, anyone else notice this? I'm scared to go on a bulker eating carbs all day and looking bloated n fat.

Bulking without carbs = very hard.

After a few days you will look very flat and depleted if you don't eat carbs, carbs will help fill you out and look full, not make you fat and bloated.

Billyspt4 is offline Associate Member
    If you're wanting to gain weight, the way I'm doing it is if I'm at home, I'm eating as clean as possible, but while I'm out, I'll drive thru and get something from a fast food joint just to help pack on some pounds. I don't go crazy and eat it everyday, but just a couple times a week or something. Then once I reach about 10-15 pounds over my target, then I can shred the fat. That's the best thing for me right now. Things work differently for everybody, but I weighed 120 pounds in January and now I'm at 165 and I'm pretty solid right now. I'm still going, I'd like to be at 195 by May or so.

Yeah, I'm trying to stay clear of sloppy weight and just pack on lean mass, So I don't eat junk. I'm just confused on where to start. I plug in my stats to a bodybuilding site last night that told me I was gonna need to eat 4000 cals a day which is pretty absurd. I bet if I ate that much I would just get fat. I only have 133 lbs of lean mass, 4000 cals just seems too high

Yeah, I'm trying to stay clear of sloppy weight and just pack on lean mass, So I don't eat junk. I'm just confused on where to start. I plug in my stats to a bodybuilding site last night that told me I was gonna need to eat 4000 cals a day which is pretty absurd. I bet if I ate that much I would just get fat. I only have 133 lbs of lean mass, 4000 cals just seems too high
    It possibly could be.

But then again...if you're doing 25-30 hours of cardio per week as stated above (unless that's a typo), your BMR will be a lot higher than a sedentary individual at the same bodyweight/BF%... and higher than the a similar weight individual who's fairly-moderately active...thus your maintenance calories will be a lot higher

I have no choice but to do 25-30hours of cardio a week

True, I'm very confused right now the more I read the more conflicting info I get. So, I'm told that if you keep your blood sugar high you become insulin resistant (bad stuff right?) Yet if you eat too many carbs at once your liver turns it into fat giving you the blood profile of someone who just ate a carb/fat meal. So you can't eat too much carbs at once and you can't eat them too often, yet you need to consume ridiclous amounts everyday? How does this make sense?

P.s 25-30 hours isn't a typo, I am going to be skiing competitively this season.

n4529359 is offline Associate Member
    as a normal human you have to be in a positive energy balance to put on muscle.
    an excess enrgy balance also means that you will put on or maintain fat mass.
    to loose fat you have to be in a negative energy balance, you can't put on muscle in this enviroment , only maintain , and try to loose as little muscle as possible. under NORMAL conditions (ie no roids)

Thread Information