24labor is offline Anabolic Member

close grip bench question

I worked my arms today b/c I switch from chest/tris to bis/tris. Anyway I was doing close grip and I noticed I was getting a good pump in my chest. Now I usually didn't notice it b/c I did them after my chest but since I did tris on thier own I wasn't sure how much I should be using my chest?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Are you're elbows traveling to far away from your torso? You will start recruiting the pecs more when this happens. Using a reverse-grip, spotter needed, forces the elbows in more than using a prone-grip (less weight is used but the triceps will take more of the workload).

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    Are you're elbows traveling to far away from your torso? You will start recruiting the pecs more when this happens. Using a reverse-grip, spotter needed, forces the elbows in more than using a prone-grip (less weight is used but the triceps will take more of the workload).
    Nah I kept them pretty tight maybe the last rep or two on the last set I might have flared out a little but other than that tight. Reverse huh sounds interesting

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 24labor
    I worked my arms today b/c I switch from chest/tris to bis/tris. Anyway I was doing close grip and I noticed I was getting a good pump in my chest. Now I usually didn't notice it b/c I did them after my chest but since I did tris on thier own I wasn't sure how much I should be using my chest?
    Close grip works the chest well because of the heavy weight involved. I always get a good pump from it, but of course, the triceps are worked better in this position and that is point. Close grip will pull your pecs at a different angle and may increase chest development whilst also developing the tris.

JMumf is offline Junior Member
    Reverse grip presses are great for tricep strength and development. Plus your regular bench will skyrocket from doing this movement.

Billyspt4 is offline Associate Member
    It's hard to get used to, but reverse grip are great alternatives. You don't see many people doing them, but they are wonder workers.

On close grip, I brush my torso with my elbows on the negative side of the lift, makes me have something to think about while I'm doing them so my elbows are tucked in.

Thread Information