Akrus423 is offline Useless Member

twice a week bodypart?

somebody told me that training a bodypart twice a week is too much, is this true?

BooCooo is offline Associate Member
    yes i think its to much, i like to work arms every 5 days but other then that it better to rest then overtrain.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    ehh, for arms prob yea its too much, but ive seen great gains doing chest n legs twice a week. I dont do this for more then 6 weeks though, i usually see great strength gains then i hit a HUDGE plateu n even get weaker, thats when u switch back to once a weak, so people will say its to much, but when u plateu on ur once a week workout, switch to twice a week n ull see great gains

let me go alittle more in depth so i dont get flamed... when training twice a week i usually only do 8 sets for the muscle, like chest ill only do flat n incline, instead of the 16 set theory, like i said ive seen great gains with this, but u cant do it for a prolonged time,

Flexor is offline Banned
    I've heard people say the arms repair fastest whilst the other body parts take longer. Some people work their arms twice a week because of this. It doesn't matter how often you train a bodypart, as long as you don't train it when it aches.

For example, If someone's chest had stopped aching after 3 days, then they could train it. If one can do something like that though, its more than likely that the intensity in the last workout was not there and by working harder they would be forced to take a longer rest.

Thank you very much for the Posts!

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    I like to train muscle groups at least 2 times a week but I have recently learned here that once is enough for bulking. I am trying it now and will find out for myself.

PunkOff is offline Associate Member
    Once is enough, twice may be too much and actually impair it from growing as much as it could have from just working it once. More is not always better.

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    I've heard people say the arms repair fastest whilst the other body parts take longer. Some people work their arms twice a week because of this. It doesn't matter how often you train a bodypart, as long as you don't train it when it aches.

For example, If someone's chest had stopped aching after 3 days, then they could train it. If one can do something like that though, its more than likely that the intensity in the last workout was not there and by working harder they would be forced to take a longer rest.
    There is much more to it than aches and soreness...some of the recovery can not be "felt" Read this if you want to know if you should train twice a week... Growth principles for beginners

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    There is much more to it than aches and soreness...some of the recovery can not be "felt" Read this if you want to know if you should train twice a week... Growth principles for beginners
    It talks about nervous system recovery needing 24 hours and this wasn't what I was talking about. You can't feel whether the nervous system has recovered, but you can feel when a muscle has. It feels fresh and doesn't ache.

i read it.

It talks about nervous system recovery needing 24 hours and this wasn't what I was talking about. You can't feel whether the nervous system has recovered, but you can feel when a muscle has. It feels fresh and doesn't ache.
    You cant see how the CNS and the recovery of a muscle are related? It takes both...and Im saying I realize that a muscle can feel recovered and it not be totally..of course this is all assuming you want maximum growth from your training..if you dont care about that then go ahead...work out every day of the week...

Flexor is offline Banned
    You cant see how the CNS and the recovery of a muscle are related? It takes both...and Im saying I realize that a muscle can feel recovered and it not be totally..of course this is all assuming you want maximum growth from your training..if you dont care about that then go ahead...work out every day of the week...
    No, all I can see is your HOT avatar!

Its actually the release of calcium ions from within the muscles through the damaged sarcolemma membrane that triggers the numerous processes involved with removing damaged 'pieces' of muscle and triggering regrowth. Enzymes called calpains and hormones such as IGF-1, FGF and TGF-beta are released into the damaged muscle and they diffuse throughout.

I don't see the link between the CNS and muscle regrowth, and although nervous impulses trigger the release of some hormones, there is no reason why the body would stop producing the key hormones for 24hours after a workout. Muscle regrowth begins as soon as you stop working out because white blood cells mop up damaged proteins and nutrients flood the cell. Then protein synthesis occurs within the muscle cells, stimulated by the hormones that diffuse into the cytoplasm.

No, all I can see is your HOT avatar!

Its actually the release of calcium ions from within the muscles through the damaged sarcolemma membrane that triggers the numerous processes involved with removing damaged 'pieces' of muscle and triggering regrowth. Enzymes called calpains and hormones such as IGF-1, FGF and TGF-beta are released into the damaged muscle and they diffuse throughout.

I don't see the link between the CNS and muscle regrowth, and although nervous impulses trigger the release of some hormones, there is no reason why the body would stop producing the key hormones for 24hours after a workout. Muscle regrowth begins as soon as you stop working out because white blood cells mop up damaged proteins and nutrients flood the cell. Then protein synthesis occurs within the muscle cells, stimulated by the hormones that diffuse into the cytoplasm.
    So you disagree with Big A. And the workout plan the pros use is unnecessary? Please explain...Im interested...

Flexor is offline Banned
    So you disagree with Big A. And the workout plan the pros use is unnecessary? Please explain...Im interested...
    I'm not interested in what the pros do, I'm not a pro and I wouldn't benefit from their training regimes. That is what works for them because they are seriously motivated individuals with gifted genetics.

Its obvious that you need to give a days rest for the CNS after a hard workout so that its fresh for another hard day after. However I believe muscle growth occurs independently of the CNS and if you are hitting different muscles the next day, growth will still occur in the muscles hit the previous day.

I workout 3 times a week, mon, wed, fri.
    Last edited by Flexor; 11-13-2005 at 12:06 PM.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    It depends on the individual.

'tis only this year that i've reduced my training to hitting each bodypart once per week.

For seven years i trained everything twice per week and made great gains in strength... and density.

i'll reiterate...it's relative to the individual. You need to listen to your body to know what's right?

nark.. is that u in the pics? if that is you, then you must really kick ass as a bodybuilder.

i kinda understand but. lemme just copy this.

This is from BIG A

Why does a muscle grow? Because it has to adapt. When
    does it have to adapt? When you expose it to something
    that it has not done before. When is something that it
    has not done before? When the muscle is taxed 100%.
    That's 100% effort. What's 100% effort? When you train
    to 100% PHYSICAL, not mental failure. So, to make the
    muscle grow, you have to train with 100% effort
    otherwise, the muscle will not adapt/grow.
    Now, using the above logic, for a set to be beneficial
    to your growth, it needs to be 100% effort. So, a 100%
    effort set of an exercise, will make you grow. Then,
    what is the point to do a second set of that exercise?
    You cannot go more than 100%. The muscle already has
    been taxed by 100% from the first set, so why should
    you do a second one? You will just eat into your
    recovery ability.
    So, you should only do one set to failure per
    exercise. Later on, I will describe the training
    program and how exercises and warm-ups are involved.

This is my opinion.

uhh if that is true then... All the pros are wrong and HE IS RIGHT!

so how come u should only do one set per muscle?
    so the BIG A is right, and my built hard book which states that you should do on a pec work out is,

Pecs

Medium grip flat bench press 5 sets 8-10 reps
    Medium grip incline bench press 4 sets 8-10 reps
    Dips with weight 4 sets 8-10 reps
    Ten-degree decline bench press 4 sets 8-10 reps
    Bent- arm pullovers 3 sets 8-10 reps

once a week?
    Last edited by Akrus423; 11-13-2005 at 02:29 PM.

The Pros Don't Do One Set Per Muscle!

mr.biceps58 is offline Junior Member
    I do believe this link will answer your questions and then some.

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/fo...ad.php?t=13774

i'm not saying ur totally wrong, i'm just saying i doubt BIG A is right about doing only one set per body part, once a week.

There are millions of opinons on this, DC training you workout mon wed fri n n workout everymuscle every one of those days, but only one exercise per day for everymuscle. Many sports programs have you working muslces twice a week, doing core exercises, it seems most body builders workout every bodypart every 6-8 days, my point....
    They all work, some better for others, i know i gain great doing twice a week, but then eventually have to go back to once a week otherwise i plateu greatly, see what works for u, i know if i do chest then wait a week i feel stale n weak because i waited to long, n sometimes im still sore after a weak, pick a plan u feel comf with, post it up to make sure it snot HORRible n not beneficial, n then do it, if it works then u found a good routine for urself, if it doesnt then start over, the only way ur gonna find out for urself

Quote Originally Posted by Akrus423
    i'm not saying ur totally wrong, i'm just saying i doubt BIG A is right about doing only one set per body part, once a week.
    First of all...I wasnt talking to you when I wrote that and I am definately not worried about YOU telling ME that Im wrong...

Second...Big A is an IFBB Pro...

also u need to switch up from heavy/low rep, to light /high rep, usually after 4-6 weeks of going heavy ull stop gaining, and need to switch over to low weight high rep, and believe me ull know when that time comes, ull be all fired up cause ur getting stronger every week, then one week u go u cant do it, n u think its cause ur tired, the the next week the same thing, well then u know its time...

that link above i personally do not agree with, n i mean with the AAS he reccomend with that workout, i think its absolutly crazy, but thats me u form ur own opinion, here is a great link imo, great fundmentals, and works, this is for one day a week, what i usually do it a twice a week program(ill post it if u want) for about 5 weeks, then switch to this program, then take a week or 2 off
    been geting PMs about my program here you go!

also theres a post right here in the workout forum that says pro trainer tells all, read this also

First of all...I wasnt talking to you when I wrote that and I am definately not worried about YOU telling ME that Im wrong...

and this is thread was started by u and flexor right?

Flexor is offline Banned

The idea of a quote seems to be lost on Akrus423. Me and NewKid were having a discussion, which was the reason we were quoting each other's comments...pretty obvious I thought.

The idea of a quote seems to be lost on Akrus423. Me and NewKid were having a discussion, which was the reason we were quoting each other's comments...pretty obvious I thought.
    all i am saying is that what u were discussing, was related to what the thread was about, i believe i have the right to butt in, IF and i am gonna say this to be exact IF the thread is related to the topic. Both of you were giving USEFUL information. The world has no idea about how the muscle system works it seems. In my built hard book, WHICH could be wrong, WHICH was made in 1998 says, you need to do like 12 sets on a body part ONCE per week. You hear some many things about peoples BLAH BLAH BLAH, will get u faster then theirs... But if there were 5 of these, one of these would have to be the best. You are both making very interesting discussions, so why couldn't i butt in, if it was related to this thread? If you thought i was being rude, i am sorry.

Whenever i reply to u, 25% of the time you take it as a threat... IT ISN'T A THREAT!

Flexor is offline Banned
    No of course you were welcome to add your opinion, just without quoting either of us, because we were exchanging our own written personal opinions. You just jumped with Newkid's quote and answered "i'm not saying ur totally wrong". The point is YOU and I don't have the same opinions and NewKid was commenting on my opinion and NOT yours.

This really isn't a big deal so forget this.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    this will always be a widely debateable issue I think both flexor, and Newkid, hold valid information....

Flexor is offline Banned
    good to have you back on the board S.P.G

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    good to have you back on the board S.P.G
    thanks bro...

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    IMO 2 times a week is far from overtaining if going about it the wrong way.
    There is 2 "right" ways to do it.

Semi high volume but NOT GOING TO FAILURE

Or

some kind of HIT routine with only 1-2 sets to failure for each bodypart.

I realy prefer the first option. Its that method that has a firm scientific foundation(thats how the best weightlifters has done for along while now. Its all based on soviet research). Its (simplifying alot) the foundation of westside aswell.

The bulgarian weightlifters workout 3 times each and every day.

I think its funny that HIT followers always screams and shouts that volume training only works for the geneticly gifted. Going to failure is the most overestimated thing ever.

Like bill pearl(I think it was him atleast) said. Training to failure teaches your body to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    IMO 2 times a week is far from overtaining if going about it the wrong way.
    There is 2 "right" ways to do it.

Semi high volume but NOT GOING TO FAILURE

Or

some kind of HIT routine with only 1-2 sets to failure for each bodypart.

I realy prefer the first option. Its that method that has a firm scientific foundation(thats how the best weightlifters has done for along while now. Its all based on soviet research). Its (simplifying alot) the foundation of westside aswell.

The bulgarian weightlifters workout 3 times each and every day.

I think its funny that HIT followers always screams and shouts that volume training only works for the geneticly gifted. Going to failure is the most overestimated thing ever.

Like bill pearl(I think it was him atleast) said. Training to failure teaches your body to fail.
    Are you a communiest?
    j\k ill look into it

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    if it works for you great, but for my goals and needs it does nothing... just doesnt put mass on me as well

Thread Information