Thread: Deadlift reps

Pac8541 is offline Associate Member

Deadlift reps

When I deadlift for reps should I be placing the bar back on the floor and beginning the pull over again with each rep? Right now I'm lowering the bar until the plates touch the floor then immediately starting my next rep. Should I be doing each set as 5 singles though? I'm not having any problems with how I'm doing them now and no injuries but if it should be done the other way, and there is a benefit from it, then I'll make the change.

king6 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pac8541
    When I deadlift for reps should I be placing the bar back on the floor and beginning the pull over again with each rep? Right now I'm lowering the bar until the plates touch the floor then immediately starting my next rep. Should I be doing each set as 5 singles though? I'm not having any problems with how I'm doing them now and no injuries but if it should be done the other way, and there is a benefit from it, then I'll make the change.
    Thats what I do, and I do 5 reps as well, its just what works for me, how is it working for you?

Its working great and I'm making steady progress as I refine my form. Doc Sust has been invaluable here in giving me tips and pointers on it and the weights just keep going up. Couldn't be happier really but this question occurred to me this afternoon. I suppose letting the bar rest on the floor for a fraction of a second would more simulate an actual competition lift and I certainly feel that the first lift off the floor is the most difficult. Once I lock it out then return to the floor, the next rep seems to come up easier. I'm not competing, just looking to do it right the first time. I may try it this week like this, not taking any real tension off the bar but letting it settle on the floor before lifting off again.

Undecided09 is offline Senior Member
    I think it all depends on what your goals are really....I personally like the "touch and go" method because it keeps as constant of tension as possible on your body...I would think that stimulates the most muscle recruitment and breakdown...Where as resting it down gives ur body a chance to relax and then go again, which would seem to me more of a strength/power movement...

*Doc Sust, this ones for u, lol*

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    I like to approach each lift as a single.

Dangerdan is offline Senior Member
    I take each one as a single lift, pausing about one second between lifts.

I'm gonna give this a try later in the week and see if it makes a difference for me. But once I get the bar off the floor and get into a 'groove' that heavy ass bar that I barely got off the floor then seems to get easier to keep moving.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    each one as a single, BUT sometimes if it is a really heavy weight, and i feel i am in the 'groove" i will just rep them out w/o pauses

LukeNY is offline New Member
    I always approach each rep as a single, I have to use a little lighter weight then I would in a touch and go situation but I think in the end it helps out more

I just do it continuously. If u lower it and change ur grip, even though its only a few seconds, it allows ur muscles to recover a lil bit. I like doing it continuously, keeping constant tension on the muscle. You could also incorporate both method. Do continuous and then when u start failing, do as singles so u can eek out an extra rep or two./

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc.Sust
    each one as a single, BUT sometimes if it is a really heavy weight, and i feel i am in the 'groove" i will just rep them out w/o pauses
    i rep without pausing - i use sumo style too

how much are you deadlifting in that pic Doc?

Thread Information