Tommy Gunn is offline Member

A couple questions about skullcrushers

I have been doing skullcrushers with an ez bar on a flat bench 3 sets, reps of 12,10, and last set to failure (around 8) all while increasing the weight each set. Here are a couple questions I have:

1) Where do you guys bring the bar down to? Your nose or forehead and why.

2) Do you guys prefer a straight bar or ez bar and why?

3) Do you guys ever do underhand skullcrushers? It would be like a movement like underhand tricep pushdowns.

4) How does my set/rep scheme look?

5) Everyone says skullcrushers are better than pushdowns. Why?

Thanks in advance fellas.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Tommy Gunn...why all these threads?

Why don't you just put all your workout questions in one thread?

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    i use a close grip, and go back to my forehead(alittle bit behind it actaully) this gives the entire tricep a workout, and gives it a good stretch. be sure to keep ur elbows in, n concentrate o using r triceps, not pushing out ur elbows n using everythig except ur tricep

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    ohh yea, n ezbar, that works best for me, it feels more comfterble, my fav exercise if the trice pushdown using the ez bar shortbar, u can go heavy with this, can REWALLY isolate the muscle, n this i feel concentrates much more then skulls, skulls r a strength/bulk exercise

Sorry Narkissos. I don't mean to be a pain, but I'm just eager to learn.

Could you help me with the questions I posted. You know your stuff and I could use your help with this.

Papi93 is offline AR VET

I usually bring the bar to the forehead. It gives the triceps a fuller ROM. If I want to extend my set, I lower to the nose and then the chin. This will cut the ROM down and allow you to get in more reps. The burn is intense.

It depends. If I want to keep my hands pronated, I'll use a straight-bar. If I want my hands inbetween a pronated and neutral position, I'll grab the EZ bar. Most people prefer the EZ bar because it is easy on their wrists.

3) Do you guys ever do underhand skullcrushers? It would be like a movement like underhand tricep pushdowns.

I use them sparingly. They are good because with the supinated-grip, your elbows stay in and isolate your triceps more. What I don't like is; you really need a training partner to work this exercise safely. If you carry it to failure, there is a better chance that this exercise will live up to it name!

You set/rep scheme looks good for muscle hypertrophy. What is even more important, are you responding to this set/rep numbers? Everyone recovers differently.

They are superior for putting mass on your triceps. Free weights and machines are usually always superior to cables for adding mass. The pushdown is an excellent exercise that will really isolate the triceps and it provides you with a different angle to work your triceps. The upper arm is beside the trunk when you perform the pushdown as where the upper arm is perpendicular to the trunk when performing skullcrushers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    I have been doing skullcrushers with an ez bar on a flat bench 3 sets, reps of 12,10, and last set to failure (around 8) all while increasing the weight each set.
    The rep range is adequate.

Forehead...cus it's a more natural curve than lowering to the nose...for me at least

ez-bar cus it's easier on the wrists.

No...i don't like 'em personally...the 'feel' is different. I prefer reverse-grip bench to them.

See my first comment

Greater muscle recruitment...

Thanks in advance fellas.
    No prob.

Sorry Narkissos. I don't mean to be a pain, but I'm just eager to learn.
    It isn't that you're being a pain. It's that it would be easier to answer your questions if they were all in one place. Most members aren't gonna go back to your previous threads...

Thanks Narkissos. You look great in those pics bro. You obviously know your stuff.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    dont do skullcruchers anymore
    too much elbow problem from them..
    close grip bench just works as effective

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Once you start approaching very heavy resistance, the elbows can start to flare up. Switching to a reverse-grip or using db's can be an alternative (when you are trying to keep the exercise a single-joint exercise).

Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    Once you start approaching very heavy resistance, the elbows can start to flare up. Switching to a reverse-grip or using db's can be an alternative (when you are trying to keep the exercise a single-joint exercise).
    ditto..reverse grip bench with preference

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    To combat this problem temporarily, I always place skulls after dips and close grip to pre-exhaust the tris so that I can use lower weight and preserve my elbows.

On a side note, I lower the bar behind my head for a fuller ROM and then push straight. I find the slight slant of the upper arms when the bar is behind my head releases pressure on the elbows at the bottom of the rep. This way I can do a full ROM without pain and stretch the long head of the triceps even further because the upper arms are further away from anatomical position.

At least this method works for me. Lowering to my forehead makes my elbows feel tight, but I agree that it probably creates more of a pump

Thread Information