Thread: Pull UPs

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Pull UPs

I just got through posting a reply to danes post on chest routines and I forgot to list somthing. I have a pull up bar across my door to my bedroom and I'll do pull ups going and coming here and there. Do any of you every incorporated pull ups or chinups in your routines? My Dad had a pull up put across my bedrrom door at his hose when I was in 7th grade and I have been doing them every since. It is great for your upper body strenght and chest developement.
    Tobey

Lush is offline Associate Member
    Yeah Tobey- i think chins are great.

I always do wighted chins (front chins) on back day. i tnink they're great for strength and building a nice V.

I'd have to recommend getting a belt for hanging weights when you do them. Or just holding a dunbell with your feet works well too. Doing them with weights wil help build strength much quicker I've found.

Arnold was all about the chins too....

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i always do chins as my second exercise on back day. 3 sets of 12. down slow up fast

MarkyMark is offline Member
    How bout trying Boyer Coe's 1 minute chins .hehe
    This guy had increadable strength ... try it if this doesn't sound hard ....

60 seconds from the bottom of the movement to full retraction at top / then 60 seconds to lower your body ....

Yes chin-ups are an excellent movement , if your strength however is much greater than your body weight then use to warm up or burn out at the end of your workout using a spotter ..good luck

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Pull ups vs chin ups

Hey let's clarify something.
    Chin ups are preformed with a outside grip which puts strain on the bicep. (Palms facing you)
    Pull ups are preformed with a inside grip and it puts strain on the chest and tris ( palms facing away from you)
    I have just noticed the terms used back and forth and was wondering are we talking about the same thing? Pull ups are much more difficult for me to preform. Chin ups are much easier of the two.
    Tobey

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    OK my defintion.

Wide-Grip Chins, these are performed funnily enough with a wide grip with the back of the hnad facing towards you. These are what I think you call pul-ups.

Chins IMO are performed with a close-grip with the back of the hand facing away from you (towards the wall). I personnally like both, do both weighted but prefer the extra stretch of close-grip, same with lat-pull downs. For back with close grip is better, if you imagine the the lat as an elastic band attached at the lower back and the shoulder it is stretched further with a close grip.

I have explained this in simply cos I'm tired and I should be in bed.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Anyone do behind the back chin ups? Work the hell out of those lats, and I bet they will kick your azzez.. we used to do them in martial arts. Ya'll do know what I am talking about eh?
    For those of you who don't, get on the chin up bar, with your back facing the chin bar. Pull from behind, in other words, like you were doing behind the back press just the opposite where you actually pull yourself up from behind the back. Killer.. I hate to love those.

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Dane, I'm with you on pulll ups, usually comes 2nd in my routine, sometimes at the end though to TAX em.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    yeah, i usually begin with a heavy compund movement like barbell rows. chins/pullups come second

Thread Information