PunkOff is offline Associate Member

Flys - DOES ANYONE DO THESE?

Flys.. they seem pointless to me, they are so isolated and hard to move up in weight.. are they honestly worth incorporating in my workout?

Joe

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Incline and flat bench DB flys I feel have helped given me a lot of shape to my chest. To me weight isn't important with movments like these....... I want to use just enough so I will go to failure but not too much to cause a shoulder injury.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    They seem pointless? You dont know enuff about working out then man. Think about the alignment of the muscle fibres in your chest, they go accross your chest, so your pectoral muscles are used to move your arms across your chest. Bench press althought very famous will not work your pecs as much as flies will. They aer a must in any good chest routine in some way shape or form, at least use cables for them or something. But I think free weighst flies are awesome. And as the Mudman says weight isnt really important, as long as the muscle is worked and you grow thats all that matters.

-Bino

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    DB Flys are the shit. i just pretend that i'm hugging a really fat woman.

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    I think flyes should be a staple in ANY chest routine, and about not moving up in weight i remeber when i was starting out doing 35's now i'm doing 90's...its an awesome stretch at the end of your chest routine, and i don't really think you'll get the full potential of your chest unless they are incorporated

chest6 is offline Banned
    i can honestly say i have never done flies in my life. I have planned on for awhile but my chest is still fvcked up

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    I love flys. Started doing them a year or two ago and never looked back.

IamtheChitt is offline Associate Member
    i do db flies every workout.... incline, flat, or decline depending on how i feel...

davesuma is offline Associate Member
    decline dumbell flyes, cable crossovers........they keep me happy........i'll sometimes throw in the pec deck at the end to failure.......flyes are the shizz

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    cable flys are my favorite chest exercise

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    some type of fly is a must IMO. i like incline flies and cables...

i work the cables... just a lot of my buddies talk negatively about flies, cant hurt to start doing db flies though especially when so many people speak highly of them

TCEL300 is offline Member
    i usually do 3 sets...usually 10 reps with 40lb DB..one flat...one incline...one decline...at the end of my workout i think it has helped my chest a lot

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    flies are not a muscle building exercise. they are a defining exercise. you dont really need to do heavy flies and you wont go up in weight much at all and definatly not very quickly. but imo, are a definate must include in your workout.

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by max2extreme
    flies are not a muscle building exercise. they are a defining exercise. you dont really need to do heavy flies and you wont go up in weight much at all and definatly not very quickly. but imo, are a definate must include in your workout.
    agree with bold...
    bigpup101, how do you do flies with 90's?

flies with 90s are pretty !@#$ing intense.. but thanks guys, what max2extreme said was pretty much what i thought about flies in the first place but next week im gonna go ahead and bang a bunch of them out

Flexor is offline Banned
    The only reason for including flies is that you can contract the fibres in the exact direction that they pull, so there is no mechanical disadvantage. It allows more of a stretch at the bottom of the rep but doesn't cater for any peak contraction so they become useless at the top of the rep just where you would want to squeeze. You can squeeze your chest all you like, but the muscles won't be squeezing any weight, just contracting against their own muscle resistance.

Still, they are useful for overall pec development in conjuction with all the other exercises.
    Last edited by Flexor; 11-16-2005 at 12:28 PM.

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    i cant imagine a chest workout without DB flys. I can lift a pretty good amount of weight doing flys 90lbs 6-8 reps controlled @ 4 sets. I continue to increase the weight consistently.
    I'm not a very big guy (yet) and i notice some people in the gym look at me crazy when I grab that much weight for flys.

Thread Information