powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~

Offseason forearm training for size and strength?

First, I would like to point out I have had some forearm trouble in the form of carpal tunnel in the past. Excessive typing and CoC hand grippers were the main culprits. Agravating factors were straight barbell curls and wrist curls. I had to cut all that stuff out for a while (and still dont do grippers and like dumbbels for curls now) and do some rubber band therapy. Also took some OTC anti-inflammatory agents.

I want to add some size (not sure how possible that is for the forearms tho) and definently strength, specifically for deadlift carry-over. What exercises should I use to accomplish this with minimal tendon stress?

Many people claim the calves are quite a hard and stubborn muscle group to develop are the forearms similar in this respect? Just doesnt seem there is much muscle to develop in the forearms...

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    First, I would like to point out I have had some forearm trouble in the form of carpal tunnel in the past. Excessive typing and CoC hand grippers were the main culprits. Agravating factors were straight barbell curls and wrist curls. I had to cut all that stuff out for a while (and still dont do grippers and like dumbbels for curls now) and do some rubber band therapy. Also took some OTC anti-inflammatory agents.

I want to add some size (not sure how possible that is for the forearms tho) and definently strength, specifically for deadlift carry-over. What exercises should I use to accomplish this with minimal tendon stress?

Many people claim the calves are quite a hard and stubborn muscle group to develop are the forearms similar in this respect? Just doesnt seem there is much muscle to develop in the forearms...
    The wrist flexors will develop into a tennis ball just in front of your elbow, there is a lot of muscle to develop, and the brachioradialis elbow flexor muscle on top will flare out in a similar fashion to the lats.

Do not do any type of wrist flexing exercise like wrist curls, they will give you serious problems. The only thing I can recommend is static gripping and usually that would be done with deadlifts and chins, or just hanging from a bar statically with weights hanging from a belt. This would stress the actual muscle tendons, but it won't disturb your joints or ligaments...

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    The wrist flexors will develop into a tennis ball just in front of your elbow, there is a lot of muscle to develop, and the brachioradialis elbow flexor muscle on top will flare out in a similar fashion to the lats.

Do not do any type of wrist flexing exercise like wrist curls, they will give you serious problems. The only thing I can recommend is static gripping and usually that would be done with deadlifts and chins, or just hanging from a bar statically with weights hanging from a belt. This would stress the actual muscle tendons, but it won't disturb your joints or ligaments...
    Thanks. Yeah I already have a "tennis ball" and elbow flexor on top I just want them bigger and stronger without inflammation problems. Could you explain why not to do wrist curls as im curious?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    Thanks. Yeah I already have a "tennis ball" and elbow flexor on top I just want them bigger and stronger without inflammation problems. Could you explain why not to do wrist curls as im curious?
    The wrist joints are like the shoulder joint. Stability is sacrified to provide a much greater range of movement. Therefore when you use heavy weight on the wrists and actually flex them, you are putting a lot of stress on the connective tissue and the cartilage points. I find wrist curls really aggravate my wrists because of the movement under heavy load, whereas static gripping through deadlifts and chins doesn't hurt my wrists but really works the flexors.

Also think of it like this. When you hit a plateau, you might shock your body into regrowth and strength gains by doing a static or heavy negative training routine, allowing you to use heavier weights. Wrist curls won't allow you to use nearly as much weight as for static wrist flexor work...

Thread Information