How many grow off high rep training?

There is a group of guys I've met w/in the past year at a gym in a big city(dont wanna mention names) and the gym is known for producing some of the biggest and baddest ass bodybuilders on the scene. Well anyways, these guys train high rep. And I'm not talking like 10-15 reps, I mean insane shit. Like T-bar rows for 25 reps a set,as many as 50/set as the contests near. It's nothing for them to do 50 reps/set for leg extensions, 25-30 reps/set for leg presses, usually 15-20 reps for chest. My question to some of you big boys; was there ever a time in your bodybuilding where in order for you to get your body to further progress you almost had to do shit like this? I'm pondering on this idea, I mean, even if it means having to cut my weights in half, I'm wondering if my body will grow off of this type of training because it's new to me. 6-8 reps isnt, but maybe this will work for me? I'm tired of 18" arms, I want 20's. Anybody ever do anything like this and get growth off of it?

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, if you go from a regular workout such as 6, 8. 10, 12 reps... and go to a workout to 20 to 30 40 or 50 reps.. then your body will grow and heal in ways to compensate for the damage being done to it.

When i was about 14 or 15 I woudl do 12 reps at 3 to 4 sets on my workouts. When i was almost 17, i was doing 20+ reps. Now i hit up to 36+.

(Docherb told me to do craszy reps like 50 to 100.. he's crazy lol plain old crazy! hehe jk *cough* )

Doing more reps will break down your muscles more.
    For the passed long time, i haven't had any burning feelings when i workout. And when i do my curls, and i concentrate all the weight on the belly of my bicep, i can feel the bicep expand when i curl. And i feel it just being forced larger by the blood or whatever... and for the most part, its on the top of it, so i suppose thats why i have a huge peak.

So... more reps will get your muscles to grow more.... and also helps with cutting i think.

blah blah... i like to hear myself talk hehe

bump

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Any time you "shock" your muscles or system, you will benefit from it.

I would not make such training a staple of mine, no, but once in a while to mix it up and keep the body guessing, I'd include this kind of stuff sure.

~SC~

singern is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Any time you "shock" your muscles or system, you will benefit from it.

I would not make such training a staple of mine, no, but once in a while to mix it up and keep the body guessing, I'd include this kind of stuff sure.

~SC~

Straight from the bible

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by singern
    Straight from the bible
    Bible? No, lets not be blasphemous now...

He means bodybuilding bible....

and also "DAMNIT" i mean to use the word "shock" in my post.. stupid swolecat! lol jk

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SnaX
    He means bodybuilding bible....
    Obviously... still that doesn't really exist

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    really.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    funny.. high reps can make a big difference if you are doing 6-8 x 4sets per

If you are doing high rep.. try static trainging for 4 weeks.. then go back to the high reps.. that'll add 1" to anywhere..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    yeah.. but what IF!!! im gunna go dig a hole in my backyard.. and see what i can find lol. Hopefully not another cat! haha

Quote Originally Posted by spywizard
    If you are doing high rep.. try static trainging for 4 weeks.. then go back to the high reps.. that'll add 1" to anywhere..
    whats this?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by GunTotingHipGangster
    whats this?
    You hold the weight in peak contraction for time. You will be able to hold heavier weights than you could handle for negative-only training. I have done this when I plateau on my lifts.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    You hold the weight in peak contraction for time. You will be able to hold heavier weights than you could handle for negative-only training. I have done this when I plateau on my lifts.
    yep.. works like a charm..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I've trained high rep for 7 out of the 8 years that i've been training.

Draw your own inferences.

~Narkissos

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I agree that you will see results due to the change of pace but would'nt do this but maybe 1-2 a month.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I've trained high rep for 7 out of the 8 years that i've been training.

Draw your own inferences.

~Narkissos
    Can you give an example of a high rep work out that you have done? Pick any body part. I have been lifting low and heavy for the last six months and am very happy with the results, but am ready to mix things up and was thinking about doing a couple months of high rep work outs to see what happens.

Appreciate any pointers you can give.

PunkOff is offline Associate Member
    So if i normally bench 180lbs for 8 reps, i should move it down to maybe 120 and try to do 20 reps?

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    my trainer used to have me doing barbell curls at 25 and sometimes 50 reps....the idea was that when you did 25 reps, you would fail somewhere between 12-15 reps, put the weight down, shake out your arms for no more than 5 seconds and start back up again, then come to failure again and repeat....now 50 reps man that shit was though...i would have to put down the weight and restart like 4 or 5 times...and yes this did help me put on some good mass to my arms...damn i think i will put that back in my routine this week.

Conkies is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    Can you give an example of a high rep work out that you have done? Pick any body part. I have been lifting low and heavy for the last six months and am very happy with the results, but am ready to mix things up and was thinking about doing a couple months of high rep work outs to see what happens.

Ditto.

Thanks Narkissos

Quote Originally Posted by znak

'k.

Don't be disappointed though.

My coach always emphasised (i use 'emphasised' as i'm now my own coach) high rep training in combination with heavy weights. His style involved a lot of dropsets and forced reps.

For example... Take squatting for example.

Set 1: 135 lbs: 20 reps (unassisted)
    Set 2: 225 lbs: 20 reps (unassisted)
    Set 3: 315 lbs: 20 reps: 10 unassisted + 10 assisted
    Set 4: 415 lbs: 5 reps; 315 lbs: 5 reps; 225 lbs: 5 reps; 135 lbs: 5-10 reps

We were restricted to more or less one exercise per bodypart... and were assigned a certain number of reps (cumulative total) to reach per exercise:

For legs it was 100. The abovementioned outline only delivers 85 reps max. At the end of set 4..there'd be a 'rep-out' set to deliver the other 15 reps.

For bodyparts like back the rep total was 75...with the exception of chins...where the cumulative rep-range was 50.

He veiwed training as a means to and end...the end being muscle maturity.

He noted muscle maturity was developed by reps over a period of time (i.e. length of time training).

He proposed that doing more repetitions per set...per session would precipitate a faster attainment of muscle maturity.

In effect, i believe he was right... because, if you refer to my pics, as a junior competitor i developed awesome maturity in bodyparts in a short time training. So much so that i was accused of drug use numerous times.

Ok i've digressed.

Here's an outline of a full leg-training session.

This was performed twice-weekly:

Squats:

Warm-up: bare bar: reps or sets don't count.

Set 1: 135 lbs: 20-25 reps (the variation in totals depended on the perceived energy level and the time of year: i.e. off-season or precontest)

Set 2: 225 lbs: 20 reps

Set 3: 315 lbs: 10-20 reps

Set 4: 315 lbs: 10-20 reps

Set 5: rep-out

Lying leg-curls:

4 worksets: following in the same vein as the squats (forced reps etc.)
    5th set: rep-out

Seated Calf-raise:

5 sets: 20 reps each set (same as previous exercises: forced reps etc.)

The end.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04
    my trainer used to have me doing barbell curls at 25 and sometimes 50 reps....the idea was that when you did 25 reps, you would fail somewhere between 12-15 reps, put the weight down, shake out your arms for no more than 5 seconds and start back up again, then come to failure again and repeat....now 50 reps man that shit was though...i would have to put down the weight and restart like 4 or 5 times...and yes this did help me put on some good mass to my arms...damn i think i will put that back in my routine this week.
    rest-pause training...that's how i train triceps. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by PunkOff
    So if i normally bench 180lbs for 8 reps, i should move it down to maybe 120 and try to do 20 reps?
    Nope...try dropsets.

Put in your 8 reps...then strip off 50 lbs...and continue repping.

When you fail..get your partner to assist you with forced reps.

Your cumulative total for that set will be 20 reps but your workload would've been higher.

Explanation:

120 lbs x 20 reps= 2400 lbs moved

(180 lbs x 8) + (130 x 12)= 1440 + 1560 = 3000 lbs moved

Variety is best, I think the 5-12 rep range should be the core rep range but very high reps are beneficial.
    At my strongest I did a low rep day 5-7 high volume on bench then a high rep day 30-40 with low volume on bench. It really helped me get some big numbers.

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    i do a high rep set at the end of most exercises, i think it just finishes off what im training.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Thanks For The Info...I've Seen Crazy Bastards Doing This With leg Extensions...Here In A Month Or So I'm Gonna Give It A Shot...

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    Thanks For The Info...I've Seen Crazy Bastards Doing This With leg Extensions...Here In A Month Or So I'm Gonna Give It A Shot...
    Yes, 25-40reps/set is nothing for some advanced athletes to do on a set of leg extensions. I've done 4 sets of 30 before when I was training for my last show, painful is an understatement

Thread Information