JNel04 is offline Associate Member

Keeping your body guessing

what is the theory behind switchin up ur routine (reps/exercises/split/weight) to keep your body guessin? should you do it every so often...say every third week or so or more than that?

let me give you an example using my chest workout
    Week 1
    Flat BB Bench
    Incline BB Bench
    Decline BB Bench
    Incline DB Flys
    Standing Cable Crossovers
    Dips

Week 2
    Flat DB Bench
    Incline DB Bench
    Decline DB Bench
    Flat Bench Cable Crossovers
    Dips
    pushups

Would i be better off keepin this routine and switchin up the exercises every week (like i do now) or would it be better to do week 1 workout for a couple of weeks and then do week 2s workout for a week and go back to week 1 for 2 weeks?

any advice is always appreciated

kstone6tb is offline Junior Member
    I pretty much do that exact routine. I switch it up every week. Sometimes up to 4 different routines per body part(doing single muscle a day split) depending on what muscle. One week, I'll do really high weight with low reps and negatives, with the week being low weight/high reps with burnouts and such. I feel like this gives me the best results in never getting in a groove that your muscles adapt to. Hope this made sense and good luck bro.

i get u bro. i just never really new if it was a bad thing to ALWAYS be changin it up.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    switching up can be many different things, rest between sets, rep range, angel of the movement, week lay out, number of sets. but you don’t need to do all these at once. I like to use them one at a time, changing every 3 weeks on rep range, then maybe do that routine backwards, then change exercises ect, ect, I think a good rule of thumb is to change every 3 weeks…its all about when you body will adapt then preventing it....
    Last edited by S.P.G; 11-21-2005 at 02:27 PM. Reason: typo

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    switching up can be many different things, rest between sets, rep range, angel of the movement, week lay out, number of sets. but you don’t need to do all these at once. I like to use them one at a time, changing every 3 weeks on rep range, then maybe do that routine backwards, then change exercises ect, ect, I think a good rule of thumb is to change every 3 weeks…its all about when you body will adapt then preventing it....
    That's good advice. I like to keep a lot of things in the locker so that I can change it around over a long period of time without running out of things to do.

Even if muscles are sore from a workout, is it possible that the body has adapted and will not grow, but just repair to the same level again? I guess its a good idea to change every month or so just to be sure...

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    The main reason people swith up their shit is because their bodies plateau after doing the same thing for so long.
    You should consider changing everything about your workout, diet and resting about every 3 months. Find something that works well for you and then completely change it after you plateau but stay consistnt until then.
    It's sometimes referred to as "Shocking the body" among other things.

i get everything you guys are saying, but is it possible to not run into a plateau?

also i know this is a lil off topic but would u guys consider this overtraining if i did chest in the morning followed by tri's at nite or the combo of shoulders and tri's. and then the split of back in the morning and bi's at nite?

Thread Information