Zapp is offline Banned

Workout Partners

How many of you have a workout partner day in and day out? I know it's beneficial in a lot of ways, but don't you find it a pain in the ass to have one also? I worked out with a guy for 3 months, don't get me wrong....when we worked out, I got a good workout in, but having to depend on someone to be at the gym on time.....I can't deal with it. If that wasn't the problem, he had to leave early for some reason. For those and many other reasons I workout by myself and get a spot when I need it. For those of you that have one you can depend on....you're lucky brother!

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    I hated it, but all my trainng partners have been lazy n only held me back, for me its best to just go when u need to go, also if i have to work late or somethingn cant get to the gym the exact time wqith my partner i feel like an ass, i prefer solo, just me though

Ive got a good one,he even wanted to give me a BJ once!! I declined the offer i might add!

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    It's an inconvience. I workout alone.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xtralarg
    Ive got a good one,he even wanted to give me a BJ once!! I declined the offer i might add!
    Is there any frequent exchange of payment between yourselves?

J/k

I hate workout partners because one I used to have was always trying to compete with me. Also its too much of a hassle to explain everything about gaining muscle to someone who's completely uneducated...

chest6 is offline Banned
    I like mine..but hes always late. Hes always like oh I gotta meet with an RA..Ill be there in 30 mins. I dont really like working out alone..especially on bench..cuz I drop the weight..that sucks

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    I dislike the people i would have to ask to go with me to the gym.
    I also don't like to disturb people when they are working out, so i cant build up the nerv to ask anyone.

Come on over zapp, we'll work out in my garage. I'll get you big and strong like me

Zapp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SnaX
    I dislike the people i would have to ask to go with me to the gym.
    I also don't like to disturb people when they are working out, so i cant build up the nerv to ask anyone.

Come on over zapp, we'll work out in my garage. I'll get you big and strong like me
    Cool...I'll be there. Got any old concrete weights in there? Those are my favorite!!!...............lol

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp
    How many of you have a workout partner day in and day out? I know it's beneficial in a lot of ways, but don't you find it a pain in the ass to have one also? I worked out with a guy for 3 months, don't get me wrong....when we worked out, I got a good workout in, but having to depend on someone to be at the gym on time.....I can't deal with it. If that wasn't the problem, he had to leave early for some reason. For those and many other reasons I workout by myself and get a spot when I need it. For those of you that have one you can depend on....you're lucky brother!
    My partner is fantastic. He is up when I am down a visa-versa. We never let each other down-- 7:45 at the gym, rain, shine, snow. He corrects my form, I correct his. Super for negatives. Super for forced sets. His strong exercises (dips, pull ups) are my weakest, my strongest are his weakest (squats, deads), so we really have to push ourselves to get into the same weight.

He is always on time and we leave when one of us is puking or it is pointless to thrash the body part anymore something that is really hard to do alone. ("if he can do this last set, fu<k it, so can I")... we always hold something back when we are alone.

I am also super lucky that he used to train powerlifers here in Russia. Our workouts are super varied and, man, can he come up with some fricking mind boggling exercises.

You're right bro. I am very lucky.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    all my workout partners suck

JNel04 is offline Associate Member
    all the workout parterns that i've had in the past were HORRIBLE. they were unmotivated and always bitchy. after my second workout partner i just gave up and was like fvck it i'm goin solo. but if i had a good workout partner i think it would definitley be beneficial.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JNel04
    all the workout parterns that i've had in the past were HORRIBLE. they were unmotivated and always bitchy. after my second workout partner i just gave up and was like fvck it i'm goin solo. but if i had a good workout partner i think it would definitley be beneficial.
    Problem with going solo is that you lift about 25% less. For example, I do DB bench with 40 kilos when I am alone and do it with 50 and even have done 55 kilos with my partner.

Can't do negatives by yourself and you really don't want to do them with a stranger for safety reasons. (I am not comfortable to ask someone, who could just be checking out the asses in the gym, to spot me while I lower 180 kgs down to my chest).

Can't do forces reps... Can't really do any techniques that really force your body to grow.

Feel for you bros without partners.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    Problem with going solo is that you lift about 25% less. For example, I do DB bench with 40 kilos when I am alone and do it with 50 and even have done 55 kilos with my partner.

Can't do negatives by yourself and you really don't want to do them with a stranger for safety reasons. (I am not comfortable to ask someone, who could just be checking out the asses in the gym, to spot me while I lower 180 kgs down to my chest).

Can't do forces reps... Can't really do any techniques that really force your body to grow.

Feel for you bros without partners.
    Haha - someone asked me the other day on the bench press, "isn't it dangerous to do that much weight without a spot?" I told him, "When it comes to either putting up the weight or getting crushed with over 400 pounds - you put it up!"

Some movements really do need a spot - and its usually pretty easy to find someone that can over see you... but I also don't like having to depend on a dedicated partner anymore - been through too many over the years... it is completely unmotivating when they don't show up or lose their intensity about it...

With that said - I have had some good parteners, the best ones are at least as big/strong as you are and you keep encouraging each other, watching each other's form, keep a good tempo with short rest intervals... I've done some mad 20 minute supersets for arms before with a training partner - where neither of us were going to be the one responisble for lowering the load or slowing down ...

Thread Information