craneboy is offline Senior Member

best squat alternative?

i have a bad back (fused disk) so i cant do squats, what can i substitute them with and still make decent gains? i can do pretty much all other exercises its just the position of squats that freeze me up, i just looking for the best squat alternative

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by craneboy
    i have a bad back (fused disk) so i cant do squats, what can i substitute them with and still make decent gains? i can do pretty much all other exercises its just the position of squats that freeze me up, i just looking for the best squat alternative
    If you can't do back squats, perhaps you can do front squats or hack squats. If not, then an alternative will be the leg press or perhaps the lunge, and of course leg extensions as the auxilliary isolation exercise.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    If you can't do back squats, perhaps you can do front squats or hack squats. If not, then an alternative will be the leg press or perhaps the lunge, and of course leg extensions as the auxilliary isolation exercise.
    agreed.....

onehundredk is offline Member
    i hate doing squats, so for a squat alt. i always do the machines, try the squat lounge machine, if it still hurts; do what the guy above me says. cuz i think i might try that today

BobShocker is offline Junior Member
    I have a bad lower back also . . . i've found that i can get away with front squats b/c it forces you to activate your core a bunch which helps support your lower back - i find it easier to keep good form with fronts . . .

also (power lifters are gonna hate on me for saying this) if you stop just short of parallel it really helps a ton. I still do light squats (10 - 20 reps) just above parallel. Basically at the bottom of your squat - when you break parallel - your back bends in just a bit. this is when you get the most pressure in your lower back. There is a sweet spot - below 3/4 but above parallel - where my lower back is ok. I've made decent gains going heavy on the leg press, hacks, and fronts and doing medium to light weight squats (above parallel) for high reps.

There are a ton of core and lower back exercises that can really help get you back in the squat rack - and if you want your legs to grow it is really worth it . . . also it can eventually help to protect you from more lower back problems.
    Last edited by BobShocker; 11-26-2005 at 06:10 PM.

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    thanks to all the responces bro's. and i have been really workin core more lately to help

p.s. iv'e been told by people they have seen better lookin legs stickin out of a nest! j/k

Thread Information