Thread: Walking Lunges

hybrid is offline Member

Walking Lunges

So Saturday, my wife and I were working out legs. Started with some light leg ext. Then did five sets of Leg Press 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 reps pretty heavy (785lbs for the last set).
    Then my wife suggests I do walking lunges with her around the track. She does them every week with 10lb dumbells in each hand. So I pick up 15lb dumbells (to look cooler than her). I do really deep walking lunges for about 25 yards. At this point I tossed the weights aside (damn, 15lbs in each hand never felt so heavy). Then I continued for another 25 yards. Got wobbly. Had to stop and rest. My wife was laughing at me, calling me a puss. Then two more times at 25 yards each. That was it, I was done. I half heartedly did a few leg ext, then some calf exercises. I was smoked.
    Sunday and today, my ass feels like I got kicked by a mule repeatedly. I never knew it could feel so sore. My wife keeps laughing at me. WTF?

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Sounds like you hit some muscle(s) that don't get hit in your normal workout. It could also be that the change in workout shocked your muscles...either way sounds like u found a new exercise, and a way to spend time with the little lady. I for one hate lunges, but force myself thru them because they are very effective.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by hybrid
    So Saturday, my wife and I were working out legs. Started with some light leg ext. Then did five sets of Leg Press 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 reps pretty heavy (785lbs for the last set).
    Then my wife suggests I do walking lunges with her around the track. She does them every week with 10lb dumbells in each hand. So I pick up 15lb dumbells (to look cooler than her). I do really deep walking lunges for about 25 yards. At this point I tossed the weights aside (damn, 15lbs in each hand never felt so heavy). Then I continued for another 25 yards. Got wobbly. Had to stop and rest. My wife was laughing at me, calling me a puss. Then two more times at 25 yards each. That was it, I was done. I half heartedly did a few leg ext, then some calf exercises. I was smoked.
    Sunday and today, my ass feels like I got kicked by a mule repeatedly. I never knew it could feel so sore. My wife keeps laughing at me. WTF?
    Its because lunges specifically target your glutes and also the inner thigh should be sore also. Hit these up every week to strengthen your glutes and IN no time shell be calling you "TIGHT ASS!!" hehe I usually do indoor lunges with 150 on my back. usually about 40--45 steps.

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    i do lunges in almost every leg workout. i do them standing in place alternating legs rather than walking.

or you can do barbell lunges. just grab the barbell in squat position and do alternating lunges. i havent made it over 135 on these

I guess Im crazy... one day I did standing lunges on the smith machine with 350... try these for a shocker

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    I guess Im crazy... one day I did standing lunges on the smith machine with 350... try these for a shocker
    Damn big that would be negs. for me.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    I just started dumbbell lunges last week. Can not remember the weight I used, will have to check the log. I do rememebr how sore I was the next two days. Leg night is tonight, can't wait to hit them again. Just goes to show you how changing or adding exercises really helps.
    Last edited by scottp999; 09-29-2003 at 11:11 AM.

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    Been doing those wth my partners the past few weeks.....We walk from one end of the gym down this long corridor to the other....ITs sick, the first time we used 45lb dumbells and after my 2nd set i puked everywhere. NOw we use 50's and my ass is the sorest it has ever been....Pissed me off i ripped a pair of my underwear while doing these.

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by punk_bbuilder
    Been doing those wth my partners the past few weeks.....We walk from one end of the gym down this long corridor to the other....ITs sick, the first time we used 45lb dumbells and after my 2nd set i puked everywhere. NOw we use 50's and my ass is the sorest it has ever been....Pissed me off i ripped a pair of my underwear while doing these.
    lol @ ripped underwear

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Walking lunges, stationary lunges, reverse lunges with dunbbells or bar...............I hate em' with a passion...............but I always do them.

Try holding those 50's and stepping up on a bench for three sets of 12's.

Big ol..........I thought I was doing good with 220 on the smith for lunges............man I really hate you. Hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    Walking lunges, stationary lunges, reverse lunges with dunbbells or bar...............I hate em' with a passion...............but I always do them.

Try holding those 50's and stepping up on a bench for three sets of 12's.

Big ol..........I thought I was doing good with 220 on the smith for lunges............man I really hate you. Hahahaha
    your still the man jugger. I was going to max out on lunges just to see... and have people say "why the hell did you max on lunges?"

I'm sure when they see those oak stumps you call legs they know how you got them.

You are insane btw. hahaha

I'm sure when they see those oak stumps you call legs they know how you got them.

You are insane btw. hahaha
    Hey I actually had a guy I hadnt seen for awhile come up to me in the gym and say "Hey man your upper bodies getting pretty big... but I bet your legs havnt gotten that big"... hehe I guess he thought I was another "bar" lifter. I pulled a shorts leg up for him

Show off. hahaha

Show off. hahaha
    Hey I got a good pic for everyone I took down while I was in missoula... itll give ya a new laugh

hybrid is offline Member
    Alright, so I guess I have to do the damn lunges again this week. My goal now is to keep pace with my wife at least. LOL

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    Ripped another pair of boxers this week....Next week...Its FREE BALLIN ALL THE WAY....I cant afford to buy underwear i just spent all my money on juice....And im not lieing its really sad.

Thread Information