I used straps a lot, am I "that guy" in the gym?

i feel like i have small forearms and i use straps for most pulling exercises after the warmup set. i do a lot of weight for my size when i do lats and delts and i feel like i cant hold onto the bar for the whole set, should i drop down in weight and lose the straps until shrugs? i guess what im asking is when is it ok and not ok to use straps? and no, im not worried about being "that guy" as much as i am of doing things the right way. any help is appreciated, thanks

wolfyEVH is offline Anabolic Member
    lose the straps for awhile......

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    that's good advice to not use them for a while..

but

i was at a point where i was not able to make the lats grow for size/thickness anymore..

so using hooks i was able to increase the weight significantly, and give me the growth where i wanted it..
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

I agree with spywizard, use them when you really really need them. I just stopped using the hooks last week and I am getting a better back workout. Just cycle with them when you need them or can't hold your grip.

would it help to do some forearm exercises or is that pointless? 1 to make them bigger and 2 to have better forearm strength. it probably isnt this big of a deal anyway, thanks for your advice though

No, It wouldn't help. Well it will, but the better way to go is reverse curls, hammer curls and Straight barbell curls. It'll work all the heads, biceps, brachialis and forearms. I usually alternate workouts with either concentration curls or reverse curls with the cables.

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    what workouts do u use them for, the only ones i use them for is deadlifts,and all shrugs...

mass junkie is offline banned
    I stopped using straps for the most part simply because of my lack of a strong grip.... slowly but surely my grip is improving.

I will break them out on occassion for heavy DB shrugs though

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    Coleman says that he uses straps cause his tiny forearm muscles can't pull anywhere near the weight that his back can...
    I use them on occasion... useally so my hands won't chap and rip...

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    I only use them for my last couple set of Dead's....

Hit up double overhand grip Deadlifts and hammer curls if you want your forearms to grow, and your grip strength to go up....

znak is offline Senior Member
    I use them for weighted pull ups, for deads and for shrugs.

Anybody out there doing weighted pull ups with two plates that doesn't use straps?

Post pix if you do.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by znak

Anybody out there doing weighted pull ups with two plates that doesn't use straps?

Post pix if you do.
    My dad used to do pullups with two 45s without straps. No pic though, that was a few decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    My dad used to do pullups with two 45s without straps. No pic though, that was a few decades ago.
    Awsome.

I sweat like a pig and my grip get slimey. I find that with straps I can concentrate on my lats, instead of worrying that I am going to slip off the bar.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Awsome.

I sweat like a pig and my grip get slimey. I find that with straps I can concentrate on my lats, instead of worrying that I am going to slip off the bar.
    What about wearing a light breathable glove to combat the sweat? It might stop you slipping

What about wearing a light breathable glove to combat the sweat? It might stop you slipping
    Tried it. They get soaked, then get all wadded up... I just use straps.

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    I have never used straps and I always see people using them so this past week I bought some. I work on computers all day long so my wrists hurt all the time anyway so I thought they would help.

I love 'em.. I am able to do heavier Deads and shrugs than ever before. I was always having trouble hanging onto the bar and now it is a breeze and I am hitting my back and traps much harder.

I do not think using straps on ALL and Every set is advisable as you will weaken your forearms just the same as these guys that thrown on a weight belt and knee wraps for warm up sets.

I will not be putting my wrist straps down anytime soon.

Oldman

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Its always "ok" to use straps. If you worry about grip do some grip exercises like hanging from a chin rack as long as you can with a(couple of if your strong) 45 ibs plate hanging from the belt or hold onto a loaded bar for as long as you can.

Another good exercise is to hang from the chinrack with a dubbel overhand grip, now switch one hand to reverse grip and then the other and then switch back to overhand again and keep on going like that untill you cant grip the chinrack anymore. This exercise makes your forearms BURN and works grip strenght like no other.

IMO regular forearm exercises dont do crap for grip strengt, atelast not mine. I could wrist curl until I die without my grip getting stronger.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Tried it. They get soaked, then get all wadded up... I just use straps.
    try using sponge

Get a two pieces cut, one for each palm, about 1/2"-1" thick.

That's what i do.

The sponge absorbs the sweat...all the while allowing you to squueze the bar harder...without chaffing your hands.

I only use straps on the last one or two sets of deadlifts or shrugs...otherwise i don't use 'em at all.

Post pix if you do.
    I did close-grip chins with a 100-lb dumbell strapped around my waist...without straps...just sponge.

No pics tho.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I did close-grip chins with a 100-lb dumbell strapped around my waist...
    I could have guessed 100lbs by taking one look at your lats...

Have you ever considered transatlantic flight? It would save on plane tickets...

I could have guessed 100lbs by taking one look at your lats...

Have you ever considered transatlantic flight? It would save on plane tickets...
    lmao...nice

I did close-grip chins with a 100-lb dumbell strapped around my waist...without straps...just sponge.

No pics tho.

jesus christ how the hell did you manage to even chin with a 100ib db?? I can at most squeese out 10 reps with a 45.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    jesus christ how the hell did you manage to even chin with a 100ib db?? I can at most squeese out 10 reps with a 45.
    My shirt tore on rep number three.

The gym owner told me my shirt was just old...bu ti let him know... "I'm a Beast!"

Truthfully... i'm stronger at pulling than pushing

My shirt tore on rep number three.

The gym owner told me my shirt was just old...bu ti let him know... "I'm a Beast!"

Truthfully... i'm stronger at pulling than pushing

The pulling strenght shows in your lats thats one thing thats for sure how much do you dead? what bodyweight?

The pulling strenght shows in your lats thats one thing thats for sure how much do you dead? what bodyweight?

When i was cutting earlier this year i was about 175 lbs and deadlifting 495

Now...i'm 190+ lbs (198 some days...190 others... depends on how i've been eating) but my current deadlift is 463 for two reps.

Trying to get back up to 495 now.

Damn our deadlift strenghts are close, I pulled 225kg at a bodyweight of 85kg this summer. (495 at 185). Lets have a race to 600 at a bodyweight of 200 or less

Damn our deadlift strenghts are close, I pulled 225kg at a bodyweight of 85kg this summer. (495 at 185). Lets have a race to 600 at a bodyweight of 200 or less
    600...that'd be a challenge.

What's your routine like? Are you on or off gear? How many grams of protein are you ingesting daily?

I'd have to change my approach to get to 600 as it was never in my thoughts.

That's a great goal to set tho Johan...you're on.

~Corey

600...that'd be a challenge.

What's your routine like? Are you on or off gear? How many grams of protein are you ingesting daily?

I'd have to change my approach to get to 600 as it was never in my thoughts.

That's a great goal to set tho Johan...you're on.

~Corey
    Great Nothing like a challange to get things in motion I have always wanted to be able to pull 3 times my bodyweight.

Right now Im off, have been for 6 weeks(I havent had a extended period off for close to 1,5-2 years or something like that(just 4-5 weeks every now and then) so Il be off until march). Im taking it very easy, just eating when I feel like it. So no clue on protein consumption. Somewhere betwen 150-250 grams

My routine is kind of westside, but Im toying with fever assistance exercises, more sets on the exercises I do, more sets at or above 80% of max and never going to failure except on the first max effort exercise on squat and bench days.

Something like this

Max effort squat/dead day
    Squat or dead working to a 3rm and then 1rm
    Romanian or straight leg deads 5 sets of 3
    Any biceps exercise
    Heavy ab work

Max effort bench day
    bench, close grip bench, low rack lockouts. Sometimes with chains working to 3rm and 1rm
    One of the above(not the same as the one I did that day) for 5 sets 3 reps
    JM press or nosebreakers 5*5
    A row or a chin 5 sets 5-10 reps
    A light shoulder exercise if I feel charged

On my speed days I dont do the traditional westside speed. I combine both the traditional speed days into one day

DE day
    Speed squats 9 sets of 2 at 60% of max
    Speed bench 9 sets of 3 at 55%
    Hamstring exercise 5 sets of 10
    Triceps exercise 5 sets of 10
    Higher rep ab work

As you can se my ME squat day is very short. Mostly because I want to lay low while recovering test production. The combined DE day is a thing Im toying with. But I will probably switch to a traditional 4 day split later on when I get more time.

Right now Im a tad bit heavier than 200ibs. I do 2-3 reps on 450 in the dead, I squat 400 and I close grip bench 290(no clue on regular bench but I pressed 310 this summer). So my lifts pretty much sux besides the dead mostly working on the squat now when my knees dont hurt anymore.

Whats your routine like? On the juice??

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    I want to get in on this deadlift challenge but I have to change the rules a little.. I will have to gain weight to 600lbs and then deadlift 200lbs.. Cool, I'm all in.

Oldman

Great Nothing like a challange to get things in motion I have always wanted to be able to pull 3 times my bodyweight.
    Whats your routine like? On the juice??
    Juice?

honestly i haven't done a bulking cycle as yet (just a couple short cutters). The majority of my gains have been natural.

I'm willing to try a bulker after this semester ends. That should take me up to 220-230..hopefully my strength will increase exponentially.

My current protein intake is about 240 grams per day.

If i attempt this bulker, i'll have to bump it to at least 400 grams.

My training journal: http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...=202623&page=2

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spittin' 'n cussin'
    i feel like i have small forearms....
    Sounds to me like a strength issue.
    I would always do forearm workouts before i would do my curls. Get the muscles pumped up, and any addition work done to them throughout the rest of my workout is extra.

So this means you should do more forearme workouts as well, just because i do.

Juice?

honestly i haven't done a bulking cycle as yet (just a couple short cutters). The majority of my gains have been natural.

I'm willing to try a bulker after this semester ends. That should take me up to 220-230..hopefully my strength will increase exponentially.

My current protein intake is about 240 grams per day.

If i attempt this bulker, i'll have to bump it to at least 400 grams.

My training journal: http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...=202623&page=2
    Damn bro we should trade genetics for a while

Have you ever considered trying a powerlifting apporach to workouts? Offcourse it might not go hand in hand with your competition goals.

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    I found that when doing certain back movements, my forearms were taking all hte heat so I got those hooks and they help hit my back much better. I dont use them every time though.

Damn bro we should trade genetics for a while

Have you ever considered trying a powerlifting apporach to workouts? Offcourse it might not go hand in hand with your competition goals.
    Currently my workout is powerlifting-based.

I'm training 3 days per week... and the three days are focused around the three main lifts

Monday: Bench

Wednesday: Squat

Friday: Deadlift

When i'm cutting i go Olympic style (power/hang cleans, clean and press etc.)

Jo...i think we gotta stop hijacking this dude's thread

Holla

~Corey

Currently my workout is powerlifting-based.

Jo...i think we gotta stop hijacking this dude's thread

Holla

~Corey
    no problem, i pretty much got what i needed. yall can have it

Thread Information