Thread: Confused Newbie

bracks02 is offline New Member

Confused Newbie

Hey guys I'm a newbie and I'm totaly confused on what routine to do, I dont know if i should do a HIT or split routine? I'm around 194lbs and 5'11" 20% bf my main goal is to gain mass. I read about so many people trashing the HIT routine but then others say its awesome. I'm very opened minded about all of this just don't want to go down the wrong path this early in the game. So any suggestions would be great.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bracks02
    Hey guys I'm a newbie and I'm totaly confused on what routine to do, I dont know if i should do a HIT or split routine? I'm around 194lbs and 5'11" 20% bf my main goal is to gain mass. I read about so many people trashing the HIT routine but then others say its awesome. I'm very opened minded about all of this just don't want to go down the wrong path this early in the game. So any suggestions would be great.
    Its not HIT, its HIIT, and that is the same thing as weights. A split is simply working different bodyparts on different days, but each day is an HIIT workout!!!

You really need to do some research bro, you've gotta help yourself before people can help you. Do some reading and get a basic understanding of the concepts of lifting...

Read this forum!!! You should learn as much as you can before you start lifting, otherwise you are going to be one of these newbies that is all enthusiastic then jacks it all in within two weeks. Often people complain they can't see results, usually because they have little determination, or knowledge of what they are doing. So learn first so you don't waste years and years like many people do
    Last edited by Flexor; 11-27-2005 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Grammar and spelling...

LiLSaVaGe is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    Its not HIT, its HIIT
    Hey bro, I may be mistaken. But I think HIT & HIIT is different.

HIT: High Intensity Training

HIIT: High Intensity Interval Training, for cardio purpose, I think somwhere

along the lines jog 1 min. sprint 1 min. Forgive me if I am mistaken.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LiLSaVaGe
    Hey bro, I may be mistaken. But I think HIT & HIIT is different.

HIT: High Intensity Training

HIIT: High Intensity Interval Training, for cardio purpose, I think somwhere

along the lines jog 1 min. sprint 1 min. Forgive me if I am mistaken.
    Well techically they are different, but in this case they are not. Lifting weights is interval training because you do it in sets, and although HIIT can be used for cardio, he said he wants to gain mass and therefore he will be doing HIIT by default.

But yeah, I see where you are coming from. There are different applications of high intensity...

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    i agree you need to do all the research you can everything you need will be one this site.

theirs more to it than just putting a routine together. you could have the best routine in the world and it will do you no good if the training intensity, progression, diet, consistency, will power, and drive are not in order.

Also research overtraining and how to avoid it.
    Last edited by S.P.G; 11-27-2005 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typooo

Quote Originally Posted by LiLSaVaGe
    Hey bro, I may be mistaken
    You are correct...

HIIT High Intensity Interval Training, If anybody’s interested

http://davedraper.com/hiit-cardio-training.html

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
    Last edited by S.P.G; 11-27-2005 at 11:13 AM.

bracks02 is offline New Member
    Now you guys got me really messed up, Ok i was doing some reading and found some post that talk about HIT (High Intensity Training) where you only do one set of each exercise but you do the whole body like three times a week, and then the volume training (3x8) ect. There are people defending them both, as a newbie wich way do i go?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bracks02
    Now you guys got me really messed up, Ok i was doing some reading and found some post that talk about HIT (High Intensity Training) where you only do one set of each exercise but you do the whole body like three times a week, and then the volume training (3x8) ect. There are people defending them both, as a newbie wich way do i go?
    You do a simple three day split like this:

M - Chest (front delts), tris, side delts
    T - Rest
    W - Back (rear delts), bis (and forearms)
    T - Rest
    F - Legs and calves

You should do 12-15 sets for large bodyparts (IMO 12) and 6-8 for small bodyparts. Don't train to failure, perhaps just a few sets. 6-12 reps for mass. Forget 1 set per exercise or bodypart or whatever, you aren't Dorian Yates...you're a novice.

Include mostly compound exercises, few isolations.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    You do a simple three day split like this:

M - Chest (front delts), tris, side delts
    T - Rest
    W - Back (rear delts), bis (and forearms)
    T - Rest
    F - Legs and calves

You should do 12-15 sets for large bodyparts (IMO 12) and 6-8 for small bodyparts. Don't train to failure, perhaps just a few sets. 6-12 reps for mass. Forget 1 set per exercise or bodypart or whatever, you aren't Dorian Yates...you're a novice.

Include mostly compound exercises, few isolations.
    agreed leave the HIT for now....

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Im recently started a BULKING routine, and am seeing the best/quikest results i have ever seen. Ive tried HUNDREDS of splits, routnies, and none better then this(for size/strength) I like to do one bodypart a day for 5 days while im cutting so i can do one bodypart n cardio in the same day, so i get more cardio in. Heres the link to my bulking workout, i GARUNTEE ull see hudge results with then, n ull love it, if u dont il even but u a tub of ur favorite supp. lol thats how strongly i feel about it

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...36#post2250036
    Last edited by Machdiesel; 11-27-2005 at 01:21 PM.

sputnik is offline Banned
    Make no mistake about it, you have to start with the basic compound lifts, rather than start with splits etc, and preferably 3 times per week. The mistake would be in training way too often and wasting your time on isolation exercises like you see most guys in the gym do trying to copy bodybuilders’ routine.

Yes, even when doing the basics, there are different approaches such as HIT, 5x5 a la Bill Starr etc. You will have to research and decide. I first wasted my time copying people at the gym, and their tricep extensions etc etc. I got nothing from it so I did my research. I discovered HIT, as opposed to HIIT. I began squatting, deadlifting etc. Did I get strong from HIT? Hell yeah, more so than ALL the huge bros at the gym. Sometimes I did one set, other times I did two. I then moved on and discovered Bill Starr amongst other things. But always I’ve stayed with the compound lifts

Central to your beginnings in both gaining strength and mass is to incorporate some or all of the below lifts

Squats
    Overhead Press
    Pull Ups
    Bench Press
    Deadlifts
    Barbell Rows
    Shrugs

And for aesthetic purposes, curls I suppose.

Thread Information