Troder is offline New Member

Triceps Alternative

I've got elbow problems and can't lock out. Extension movements, like cable extentions, skullcrushers, or behind the head dumbells, etc., are also out. I've been doing OK with close grip press, regular dips (though I feel more chest here) and behind the back dips, but am looking for alternatives. Any suggestions?

Close grip bench and dips are all you need.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Troder
    I've got elbow problems and can't lock out. Extension movements, like cable extentions, skullcrushers, or behind the head dumbells, etc., are also out. I've been doing OK with close grip press, regular dips (though I feel more chest here) and behind the back dips, but am looking for alternatives. Any suggestions?
    You don't need to lock out on the extension movements, and an advantage of that is that you keep the stress on the triceps. Still, if you can't do extensions without locking out, you are already doing the best exercises. By regular dips, what do you mean? For triceps, try to balance more upright and tuck your elbows in behind you

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone_Biggums
    Close grip bench and dips are all you need.
    Yeah, I'd agree with that. There is enough stimulation there because of the mass involved. Skulls are a nice bonus, but aren't strictly necessary...

Troder is offline New Member
    Thanks all,

I've been stale lately and was looking for something to change it up.... Flexor: can't do extensions because of pain, not because of lock-out. Regular dips: slightly more than shoulder width, chin up, elbows in, and thumbs out to try to keep the load in the tris - still feel it in lower/outer chest the most though. Behind the back give me a great pump, but are hard to do heavy. Stacking 3-4 plates on your legs isn't that comfortable.

I'll try changing up the weights for a few workout - been going heavy. I'll do a few weeks of high reps with a short rest and see what happens.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Troder
    Thanks all,

I've been stale lately and was looking for something to change it up.... Flexor: can't do extensions because of pain, not because of lock-out. Regular dips: slightly more than shoulder width, chin up, elbows in, and thumbs out to try to keep the load in the tris - still feel it in lower/outer chest the most though. Behind the back give me a great pump, but are hard to do heavy. Stacking 3-4 plates on your legs isn't that comfortable.

I'll try changing up the weights for a few workout - been going heavy. I'll do a few weeks of high reps with a short rest and see what happens.
    I understand now. The way you do dips is very good so there is nothing more you can do with that. Good idea to switch to high reps..

Thread Information