Different grips for benching and how they effect you?

This is a really good question that I have pondered on for awhile now. Whats the biggest difference between a normal overhand grip press and a parallel grip w/ dumbbells or certain machines w/ the paralel grip option? I'm not sure if my body type is an exception or not, but I am so much stronger w/ a parallel grip on chest presses. I think for some reason it takes my shoulders out of the work and really puts the stress on my pecs. My chest always looks more pumped and feels much better when I either do a semi parallel grip w/ dumbbells or take on a parallel grip w/ certain machines like the new Nautilus Explode free weight machines. I've never been an extraordinary bench presser, maybe 315/10 on a good day right now, but the problem does not lie on my chest, its my shoulders. My shoulders will give out way before my chest does, or even feels halfway worked, I arch my back, use excellent form, etc etc. But when I take on the other grip I dont have this problem and can go a shitload heavier, I can incline dumbbell press w/ 140's and 150's for reps, much stronger this way than on barbells. I was just curious as to how much different pressing like this can effect somebody's chest development? Will their chest look that much different over time? Or does just turning your hands slightly different matter to that much of a degree? BTW, my shoulders are definitely dominating in my chest work, they are ****ing huge compared to my arms and other body parts. any input would be great!!

bump

lzicc is offline Senior Member
    I know bench press kills my shoulders. I am going to give parallel a try and see how that feels.

DutchCowboy is offline Associate Member
    I think it really comes down to what is most comfortable to you individually. I typically have a little narrower grip than 90 degrees. The wider you move on the bar the more you incorporate the shoulders and open the door for injury. A wider grip also restricts the ROM on the movement which will allow more weight to be used (maybe not initially but once you get accustomed).
    As far as arching you back there are many opinions. I tend to arch a little but make sure I don't arch too much or bring my arse off the bench.

You need to decide what is more important, strength or size?

Cheers

Thread Information