Tommy Gunn is offline Member

Without a doubt the best exercise for forearms are...

DEADLIFTS!

Since I started doing these my forearms have exploded. Not to mention my traps, quads, hams, calves, neck, lower back, and upper back.

Forget wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, if you want big strong forearms, do deadlifts.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    DEADLIFTS!

Since I started doing these my forearms have exploded. Not to mention my traps, quads, hams, calves, neck, lower back, and upper back.

Forget wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, if you want big strong forearms, do deadlifts.
    They are excellent for developing the forearm flexors. I always liked adding some reverse curls for the forearm extensors (assisting the biceps). It's very difficult to use much weight with reverse wrist curls.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Tommy Gunn, you got that damn right!!! No amount of wrist curls will develop the forearms more than the static training involved with deadlifts. The fingers are amazing joints, its not so much the muscular strength of the wrist flexors that makes them so strong, it is the mechanical leverages which are amazing. Deadlifts are the king...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    DEADLIFTS!

Are you using wriststraps when deadlifting?

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    They are excellent for developing the forearm flexors. I always liked adding some reverse curls for the forearm extensors (assisting the biceps). It's very difficult to use much weight with reverse wrist curls.
    Hey WTF is going on with your avatar? Striker93 uses that pic and I always assumed it was of himself. Is there some dishonesty going on here because I'm pretty sure its not him since he's a knowledgable and helpful dude...

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xtralarg
    Are you using wriststraps when deadlifting?
    No, otherwise his wrist flexors wouldn't be worked properly...

Even though my grip strength has exploded through deadlifts, sooner or later I will have to use straps, perhaps on the last set or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor
    No, otherwise his wrist flexors wouldn't be worked properly...

Even though my grip strength has exploded through deadlifts, sooner or later I will have to use straps, perhaps on the last set or two.

Yeah i see where your coming from bro,i personally would not be able to go upto my max weight deadlifting w/out straps........i usually waer them all the time when d/lifting but in future i think ill just strap up when the weight gets to much........thanks for the good idea,hopefully it will help my forearm progress(i need it!!)

Flexor is offline Banned
    Yeah i see where your coming from bro,i personally would not be able to go upto my max weight deadlifting w/out straps........i usually waer them all the time when d/lifting but in future i think ill just strap up when the weight gets to much........thanks for the good idea,hopefully it will help my forearm progress(i need it!!)
    Good idea, just gripping like hell on the first set then using straps afterwards, then doing the first set of weighted chins without straps and so on should really help your forearms. Nothing beats shoulder width overhand grip chins for working the brachioradialis, it really punishes them with high weight and will give the brachialis a caning too. The lats will be used, but it is easy to focus on the arms with chins as well.

I always do deadlifts first on back day so that I can take full advantage of the high weight for my forearms, then I'll do chins then rows etc...I've found it best, as the weight strain on the forearms goes down with each exercise as you weaken and it just burns them out!!
    Last edited by Flexor; 12-02-2005 at 06:04 AM.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Hey WTF is going on with your avatar? Striker93 uses that pic and I always assumed it was of himself. Is there some dishonesty going on here because I'm pretty sure its not him since he's a knowledgable and helpful dude...
    i Thought Striker93 had just changed his name no????? then your right WTF is going on with your avatar?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I just had my username changed. Martial arts were a big part of my life but I had to give them up so I could save money for my wedding and my mamitas daughter. I was depressed seeing my username so I asked a mod. to change it for me. Now I go by what my mamasita calls me in bed . It helps me not feel depressed. What was wrong with my post. The forearms flexors are heavily overloaded with deadlifts. Even more so with static holds (static contraction training). The forearm extensors, I believe, could use more stimulation. I liked to use reverse biceps curls as a forearm extensor exercise. You use the forearm extensors assist the biceps in performing the movement. It's not an isolation exercise but how much mass will you pack on with reverse wrist curls? IMO, not much. The resistance is minimal. Good supplementary exercise. If I want to work the brachioradialis more, I'll go with modified hammer curls. You can go really heavy with these.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by S.P.G
    i Thought Striker93 had just changed his name no????? then your right WTF is going on with your avatar?
    Yeah, I just changed my username. Check out my reply to Flexor's post for the details.

JNel04 is offline Associate Member
    u guys usually go w/ an over under grip when doin deads?

Quote Originally Posted by JNel04

I do

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by JNel04
    I don't. If I would, I would make sure to alternate hands every other set. If you're a powerlifter, then I would say it's cool.

I always alternate hands.........not when deadlifting though

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I always alternate hands.........not when deadlifting though
    That exercise is quite a forearm builder. Man, when I was going through puberty my forearms were jacked .

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    That exercise is quite a forearm builder. Man, when I was going through puberty my forearms were jacked .

Thread Information